Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 mile caribou hunters!

Exclamation 40 mile caribou hunters!

I just got this...has anyone else seen this yet....FYI

Dear Fortymile Caribou Hunter,

The winter State of Alaska hunting season for Fortymile Caribou is cancelled this year, and we wanted to make sure you got the word. (Please forward this email to other hunters who may be interested.)

The herd’s harvest quota for the entire year was unexpectedly reached and exceeded in a short three-day season in August. We follow radiocollars in the herd and conduct visual searches, but can’t always predict how fast the harvest will progress.

This year’s harvest does not cause long term concerns for the herd. The harvest management plan developed by state, federal and Canadian agencies, five local Advisory Committees and Regional Councils sets hunting quotas and allows adjustments if quotas are unexpectedly exceeded. The plan provides options to offset overharvest in one hunt by changing later hunts. The quotas are very conservative so herd growth can be maintained.

After the August season was closed, ADF&G staff followed the plan directives and met with the federal subsistence hunt manager and representatives of the five advisory committees and regional councils to discuss options available. ADF&G considered recommendations and agreed to a) cancel the winter season, b) reduce next year’s (2010-2011) quota to help compensate for exceeding the harvest near the Taylor and Steese Highways this year (2009), and c) leave the season open in the central roadless part of the hunt area (Zone 2), where harvest was much slower. The state’s fall season in that area closed September 18, 2009.

In addition, the federal subsistence hunt manager closed the fall federal subsistence season, in order to allow the winter federal subsistence season to proceed.

Harvest of Fortymile caribou is regulated by registration permit, which requires a hunter to report taking a caribou within three days. The hunt is closed when the harvest quota is achieved. This system works very well when caribou are widely dispersed or are relatively hard to find, but when caribou group together along major highways, harvest progresses very rapidly and hunt managers have insufficient time to respond.

Advisory Committee members and ADF&G and federal staff are now evaluating this year’s harvest and will propose changes to hunting regulations needed to slow down the harvest in future years. Proposals will be submitted to the Board of Game by the December 4 deadline and will be considered at the spring Board meeting in Fairbanks February 26-March 7.

Hunters are encouraged to call the Fortymile Hotline at (907) 267-2310 for additional information about the hunting season.

Hunters with questions about the federal subsistence hunt should call (800) 478-1456.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

If they are going to close the HUNT ..close it to everyone!
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    If they are going to close the HUNT ..close it to everyone!

that hunt is closed to everyone...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    that hunt is closed to everyone...
    Go back and read the BOLD print I highlighted.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Go back and read the BOLD print I highlighted.
    read it... and....

well ......for starters. that is a different hunt...

that and that portion of the quota was still available..

what do you expect when it is hunt by numbers and all numbers are met..in one day.

there were about 35 fed tags left after all the state tags and most the subsistance tags were filled last fall.. so it really is the folks that live out there and deal with 4000 visitors that have to pay twice now isn't it...

dont like the quota? there are AC meetings happening monthly near you that are dealing with EXACTLY THIS ISSUE>...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

read it... and....

well ......for starters. that is a different hunt...

that and that portion of the quota was still available..

what do you expect when it is hunt by numbers and all numbers are met..in one day.

there were about 35 fed tags left after all the state tags and most the subsistance tags were filled last fall.. so it really is the folks that live out there and deal with 4000 visitors that have to pay twice now isn't it...

dont like the quota? there are AC meetings happening monthly near you that are dealing with EXACTLY THIS ISSUE>...
    How about.... Just ...No killing caribou in 20E this winter PERIOD!

How about.... Just ...No killing caribou in 20E this winter PERIOD!

why is the herd in danger of being over harvested? or just NO subsistance hunting period?

oh wait... there goes that rural preferance thing again... sorry but the subsistance hunt is one i agree with.

if you wanted a bou off that herd should have been there last AUG like the rest of AK was.

the harvest for 2009 was met.. most of the federal quota was met...

they are not in danger of going over..and expect to raise it yet again in a few years.. should be interestig to see when it reaches 1000 animals eh.. considering not that many years ago it was 150.

meet on face book here

ok, whats the 40-mile? i still have 2 fed subsistance tags ,, and im away from my regs so i cant look it up... am I still good to hunt? Does that mean I can hunt on ANY FED Land or just the nelchina herd? cause my freezer still empty

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    ok, whats the 40-mile? i still have 2 fed subsistance tags ,, and im away from my regs so i cant look it up... am I still good to hunt? Does that mean I can hunt on ANY FED Land or just the nelchina herd? cause my freezer still empty
    your only on Fed land for the Nelchina herd... 40 miles is a seperate hunt for that side of the hills...(TOK, Eagle, northway... etc... )

meet on face book here

I don't hunt the herd myself, but with so many that do, I hope that there are some clear minds in the meetings.

Its really not a matter how many people hunt the heard, I think it is more of how there bunched up.

This year they were sitting ducks, and if the F&G would been out there looking at the herd, they could have pushed it back a couple of days.

Maybe this is something that could be brought up, maybe it has.

Maybe they could put it in the books as a game day decission?

I know that a lot of you put a lot of planning in your hunts, but what was it like for those to plan this hunt only to be told that it closed early?

For those of you that have been over there, you know the differance between killing and hunting.

Now lets add in the predetor control.

Some of you go over there to get a Bou. but are also after the big furry one.

Would you still go if you heard the season closed early or make plans to go somewhere else? Or if it was pushed back a few days, and you still might have a chance at both, say it was a game day call? ( you might have to work a little harder)

What would you do?

The people that live in that part of the state are the ones that should get theirs, in my thoughts BEFORE you hunters from all over the state come in and wipe out the quota.

Its kinda like the N.W. part of the state.

Now I would have a problem with a wasteful act.

My 2 cents

BTW I did get one in AUG... Just saying ....if the herd is in that bad of shape or too many were killed .... then call "knock it off" to everyone and re-evaluate for next year. I'm not saying just keep the 30 round clip guys out either COME ON MAN!

BTW I did get one in AUG... Just saying ....if the herd is in that bad of shape or too many were killed .... then call "knock it off" to everyone and re-evaluate for next year. I'm not saying just keep the 30 round clip guys out either COME ON MAN!
    WHAT is in bad shape?

you got yours.. so whats the deal with the remaining 35 or so tags getting filled by those allowed to fill them..

no one said the herd was in bad shape.. they said the harvest quota had been met.done deal..

next year and those after you can bet there will be changes in the fall hunt to prevent this from happening again. there are only about 15 threads on this very deal BB.... come out of the GD Forum and get some air and catch up.. managment forum and hunting as well.. been an issues since oh.... August 15th or so..

meet on face book here

Thumbs down

Dual Management (State/Federal) and Special Priveleges to a few are things I cannot support and in fact find to be downright unjust. The way the managers play into it, make me sick to my stomach.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Dual Management (State/Federal) and Special Priveleges to a few are things I cannot support and in fact find to be downright unjust. The way the managers play into it, make me sick to my stomach.

LOL i have heard that same argument for years. until i hand some one the Fed book and show them they qualify for some of the hunts...then its a different story... you don't have to be very far out of most towns to be rural.. and be eligible for all rural resident hunts...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Acres View Post
    Dual Management (State/Federal) and Special Privileges to a few are things I cannot support and in fact find to be downright unjust. The way the managers play into it, make me sick to my stomach.
    Agree.... I see resident and non-resident ... that should be the determining rule factors to Hunting/Fishing in Alaska.
    But then we wouldn't spend so much time and money catering to the "special interest" groups!

As a reminder there are five seats open for vote in the fairbanks ac ................................................th is wednesday night december 9th at 7 pm .............................all in attendence can vote for the ac persons to represent them ......................come in meet those that will be forming some of the decisions of your hunting grounds and caribou herds..................7 pm 12/09/2009 alpnie lodge

meet on face book here

As a reminder there are five seats open for vote in the fairbanks ac ................................................th is wednesday night december 9th at 7 pm .............................all in attendence can vote for the ac persons to represent them ......................come in meet those that will be forming some of the decisions of your hunting grounds and caribou herds..................7 pm 12/09/2009 alpnie lodge
    Speaking of special interest groups go watch and follow the money!

Ok.Ok. Where is this lodge?

Not saying I'm going to make it, but if I did?

I might try to make it up there to that part of the country on wed. Vince, not saying for sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Ok.Ok. Where is this lodge?

Not saying I'm going to make it, but if I did?

I might try to make it up there to that part of the country on wed. Vince, not saying for sure yet.
    well. es.. head on around to the airport.. take the dale road exit.. on the left... fed ex will be across airport from this exit.. and a tesero gas station.. on the Dale road.. ... if you miss it you wil end up at the terminal and as you go around the corner towards the terminal...... just before the white new posty art thingys at the air port you can look over the fence on the right and SEE Alpine lodge next to national car rental.. so whip around the block and follow the fence back to dale road exit...

meet on face book here

well. es.. head on around to the airport.. take the dale road exit.. on the left... fed ex will be across airport from this exit.. and a tesero gas station.. on the Dale road.. ... if you miss it you wil end up at the terminal and as you go around the corner towards the terminal...... just before the white new posty art thingys at the air port you can look over the fence on the right and SEE Alpine lodge next to national car rental.. so whip around the block and follow the fence back to dale road exit...
    oops that dale rd exit will be on the RIGHT headed to the airport

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast