Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice depth and hand augers?

Default Ice depth and hand augers?

Just out of curiosity, how deep does the ice get in the interior, and how long would it take to drill a hole through it with a hand auger?

I just bought a hand auger and went out yesterday. The ice was 7 inches and it took less than two minutes to go through. I am told if you keep your blades sharp and dry them off for storage they will last a good while. I am new to this ice fishing stuff but was very impressed with the hand auger.

George

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf2025 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how deep does the ice get in the interior, and how long would it take to drill a hole through it with a hand auger?
    In the interior? Well there was 4 feet of ice on Big Lake down here in South Central last February last time I went Ice fishing. I didn't have an extension so I was done for the season. I wouldn't want to hand auger more than a foot unless your only drilling one or two holes.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I'm not in the interior but in Yellowknife we get interior type weather.
    Last year at the end of the season on one of my go to lakes I drilled through 64" of ice. Good thing the winter wasn't any longer because I was at the limit of an 18" extension plus I had to drill several inches down on either side of my hole to make clearance for my auger handles to get the last couple of inches.

Look at it this way, after Christmas dinner its a free weight loss program.

You do a couple of holes at 3-4' your going to take a break, 7" is just the start.

Young mans tool.

A hand auger is surprisingly fast if you keep it sharp and replace the blades every so often.

I prefer it for fishing before New Year's because I don't have to horse around with a cranky 2-stroke power unit. For spring fishing? It's out of its league- you'd need a 3' extension and it would take forever...

Mine will go 48" and I've bottomed it in late Jan.

Talking

That reminded me of when I first started ice fishing up here 19 years ago. I felt only wimps used power augers. I felt that way until someone let me use theirs.... I became a card carrying wimp too that day!

Nothing like moving away from the herd to a shallow bay all by yourself, drilling through 4 feet of ice just to hit dirt..... then dragging your crap back over to where everyone else is fishing trying not to look stupid but knowing it was too late. (I learned there was a reason everyone was fishing pretty close on that lake.)

I keep that hand auger (which looks like new by the way) for early ice and to have as a back up when treking long distances in case I have power auger issues, but thats all.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default Ice Auger Depth

Yes you can drill all the way until the auger bottoms out. I used to do this regularly when I was younger growing up in MN.I even stripped the threads out of a Mora hand auger one year after fishing 30+ days in 2 months.
    Of course after a couple of holes that was all you really felt like doing.And to be really efficient and productive in your fishing you often need to drill several holes to find the fish.
    I am now a dedicated power auger user.
    You can resharpen Hand auger blades fairly easily. They actually make sharpeners just for augers. You just need to be aware that the blades are single edged and sharpening both sides will ruin them. They are made for shaving the ice. You can also use any sharpener made for scissors as they too are single edged.
    Another option is to use a sharpener that lets you only sharpen one side. My dad used to sharpen mine using his Lansky Sharpener.
    You might try what my buddy Danny does and Borrow my power auger when I am on the slope. Really cheap and the blades are always sharp and auger full of gas.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Hand auger

Forgot to add you will have to find a neighbor or friend to borrow a power auger from as mine is always busy weather I am home or not.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Thanks for the input

I just wanted to make sure it was still possible to use it up here. We just bought a little Mora hand auger yesterday, being as how the hand auger was $45 and the power auger was $200-300.

Hand augers work just fine, you just need to expect that you will do a little work before you get to fishing. I have hand augered through over three feet of ice. It works best if you have two guys. Just don't plan on drilling a whole bunch of holes. It is also good on a cold day to warm yourself up

Enjoype09

Default Ice depth and hand augers

Is there any place in Calgary, or near by, that sells the Husqvarna ice auger. I want to have a upclose look at it.Otherwise, anyone been to any Costcos yet that are selling the Eskimo gas powered auger?

Nothing like hand augering a 3 foot hole to hit mud. lol.

I've hand drilled 56" on Chena Lakes a few years back, we had the auger to it's max extension and it took two of us to get it dialed in.

You can drill the thicker stuff, just takes time and gives you a good workout. The max depth without drilling additional holes at the top to permit handle movement will be the total length of the auger from the bottom of the blades to the underside of the handle.

My first couple years up here I had a 6" hand auger, and it went through everything no problem. 4+ feet of ice was tiring but not awful.

Then I started tip up fishing. Screw the hand auger, we need power!!!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My left bycep is notably larger than my right. I attribute it to my dam# father making me drill holes with a hand auger (swedish mora) for many years of my childhood. Even when gas was 89 cents a gallon and there was a perfectly good eskimo power auger sitting in the cella.....he was so cheap that he'd rather use child labah. I have one as a back up......and only use it during early season ice.

I've only ever owned a hand auger. Use to have an 8" auger, but have only used a 6" auger the past 15 years. For 99% of the fishing I did that extra 2" in diameter wasn't worth the effort of drilling through the extra ice. I always figured starting out early in the season you don't have much ice to drill through, so hand augers work pretty well. You don't tire as easily drilling through "thin" ice so it lets you explore the lake a lot more, all the while building up those arm muscles. As the season progresses and the ice gets thicker, your muscles can handle the thicker ice as you've been drilling holes all winter. That was my case anyway, up until a point. At about 2 foot of ice depth I did a lot less exploring on the lake. I never have fished on lakes with 3-4' of ice. Call me a whimp I guess. I'd drill a few holes, fish for awhile till the arm rested, drill a few holes, fish for awhile, and so on. I also noticed I started fishing with my buddies who owned power augers a lot more as the season progressed

One definite benefit to using a hand auger for me was the weight difference. With my hand auger, rods, seat, small heater/lantern, and stuff inside my sled/shack I could easily load / unload the whole set-up in and out of my truck by myself and it was lightweight to pull all over the lake (usually only fished small lakes). My buddies with their power augers in their sled/shack always needed 2 people to load the whole set-up in and out of their vehicle, or they had to unload everything out of the sled first. Pulling that heavier sled around the lake isn't as much an issue if you have an ATV or snow machine, but I was always on foot.

It seems these days for all the more icefishing I do (2-5 trips per year) having a hand auger still suits my needs. If I fished Interior AK I'm sure I'd opt for a power auger.

Here's a little tip for you all,

Cut out a circile of stryofoam the size of your hole and stick it about 2" below the hole and then cover it up so only you know where its at. If you come back later, pretty easy to get back in the same hole, if you do'nt wait to long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Here's a little tip for you all,

Cut out a circile of stryofoam the size of your hole and stick it about 2" below the hole and then cover it up so only you know where its at. If you come back later, pretty easy to get back in the same hole, if you do'nt wait to long.
    .....and just tell the guy whose leg is stuck down your hole to get out of the way so you can fish there..

kidding, anyway i used to say i never wanted a power auger and never needed one they were loud, obnoxious, made you stink like smoke, heavy and all that stuff. I said all that because i didn't have one then i picked one up on a good deal and i don't think ill pick up a hand auger again unless the ice is less than 8 inches or so. they just make the fishing so much easier and the ability to make tons of holes and search for fish in thick ice just can't be matched. I got a strikemaster lazer lite and its an easy auger to carry around and would reccomend it over a hand auger anyday especially for the interior or the arctic its no fun sweating when its way below zero.

Have yet to owned a hand auger, or used one as far as i remember. Started out with a 10 inch power auger. There are times when you'd see someone cranking a hand auger over the ice on a lake. Kinda feel guilty pulling out the power auger and disrupting the silences, but it gets the job done quickly.

I can see where the hand auger would have its place on shallow ice, light packing trips or for back-up. Just haven't had the need for one yet though. Usually wait for a while before venturing on the ice as precaution. I do remember drilling through about 6" of ice. Packed up to give the ice more time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast