Thread: Me, Dad, A BB Gun, Bewitched, And Dr. Phil

Default Me, Dad, A BB Gun, Bewitched, And Dr. Phil

I was raised in the foothills of the Cascade mountains in central Oregon in the 60s and 70s. We didn't have x-box, wii, or hand held games in those days. So, I spent a lot of time roaming the pine, moss and fern covered hills and valleys, hunting with my little buddy Dave, with our BB guns. His a double barrel, mine a Daisy model 1894. Oregon has a rich history of being hard on wildlife, from the Hudson Bay Companies scorched earth policy towards fur bearing animals in the 1800s, to the Oregon Sheep Shooters Assosiation in the late 1800s and early 1900s. So it's no wonder, that from mine and little Davies point of veiw, it was open season on pretty much anything that moved. We had squirrels, chipmunks, grouse, quael, robins, owls, skunks, feral cats, salamanders, frogs, rabbits, and other animals in our sights at at one time or the other. Never really new what might end up on the spit cooking over the fire. It was "OK" as long as we ate them, Right? I wouldn't recomend the owl or feral cat though.....
    But we did have TV in those days and my family had a brand new one, in color. Central Oregon gets about 40 inches of rain in a year, so there i was oilin and polishin my Daisy rifle in the the living room in front of the new color TV when......Phhht......OOPS......****......A BB right between Darren Stevens eyes, the star of the hit TV show "bewitched" Of course i wasn't worried about him, i was worried about the TV and of course, my father.......My mom usually took care of the run of the mill, day to day, corrections that me, little Tommy, required. But in this case I had really outdone myself, so my mother had to dig deep into her disaplinary quiver and reach for her sharpest arrow, that being............"Wait till your father gets home".........Of all punishments this is THE worst......the uncertainty........and my own imagination.......made for a very uncomfortable afternoon........Tic.......Toc.........Tic........ Toc........time creeped by......5:00 O'clock.......5:15...........My ears listning for the squeeky brakes of his old Jeep Gladiator, his footsteps leading to the front door, and then the front door opening, and my mother saying "Tell Your Father What You Did Today" me, draggin up to him, nearly tripping over my lower lip, telling him " I SHOT THE TV"........And ya know what he said, bless his Irish eyes, With his most bousterous laugh, he said ........Whoo, ho, ho, thats OK little Tommy, I know how you feel, "I HAVE WANTED TO SHOOT THAT ********* SO MANY TIMES MYSELF" Well now at that age, I really didn't fully understand what he was saying to me, I just new I wasn't gonna get grounded or switched or loose the all important Daisy rifle. But now, 40 years later, i sure do understand, every time I see an X-box, wii, or my nephew with a hand-held game, i do,............But especially when I see that ********* Dr.Phill on my TV

Loved it.;. +1

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Double the love

Sometimes Dads just surprise the heck out of you. Great story.
    Hey, I sent you a PM about some unfinished business. Talk to you later.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Great story Tomm!

Smile

Thanks for sharing that great story with us Tomm, I fully understand your dads point of view now that I have three kids of my own and am constantly frustrated with them sitting in front of it instead of spending time outdoors.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I grew up like that too roaming the woods and having fun. What gets me is when the kids say
    "There's nothing to do" Heck get out there and have some fun and use your imagination.

I don't have kids of my own and am only 26 but we had one tv growing up and no video games of any kind. We were allowed an hour or so a day of tv maybe, and that was after homework and chores. And we were smarter and tougher growing up for it. So we also grew up in the woods just about every waking hour. I hear kids fussing cause they didn't get the latest and greatest toy for Christmas. I start thinking "Well heck, there's a stick. You can fight the Indians or the robbers or the Yankees or the Red Coats with just that one stick." Great story by the way.

Outstanding story tomm. Thanks for taking me back to my childhood at my grandparents farm.

Now that's how kids are supposed to grow up, and the reason the TV in my house is rarely on. My kids spend more time playing outside than they do sitting in front of the tube. Excellent story!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

every kid seems to be ruined since 1985
    Semper Fi!

Default TV and growin up

That was an excellent story ,
    reminds me of my youth , corse now we are sittin in front of computers.
    So many children are brought up with the influence of city life and the pier pressure of keeping up with the latest and greatest ,making a better living ,to retire better,and all that jazz, living simply in the counrty is just not that appealing to people. But that kind of life has an insanity all it's own an in the need of professional help. the sense of community is gone in the city and trying to reintroduce it is not an option. ain't gona happen.
    The best times I remember is sitting in the kitchen or by the fire inside or out in our own picnic area visiting with folks and neighbors, among the racoons and squrrils and every other critter commin through for a free meal. I would sure love to get back to that again,
    I've been living in the city now for the past 5 years with out tv , and i catch the news from time to time at work , but it just reminds me all the more how much better life is with out some things, and how much I miss my friends back home. I miss the crunch of snow under foot ,clean air, wild life around the house, real friends whom you need and who need you .
    Needing one another is an important asset, try not to loose it.
    TV and games and computers and all the other toys have thier place, but should never be a wedge of isolation. So to you who live in the country and away from city life , there are some of us who would like to be as you are, even with some of the sacrifices and inconvieniences ,would rather be hunting and fishing and traping ,than making some other bum rich.
    I realize that many of you have jobs and businesses, but being in the bush when ever you want ,and you know whom you can depend on and that you are depended on, are not something city people get.

Default Waaaay back when

Around 1976 or so, while I was living in base housing at Malmstrom Airplane Patch, one of the fellers in my squadron re-enlisted, and used his reenlistment bonus to buy some upgrades for his home and lifestyle.
    One of the things he bought was a great huge 'entertainment center', one of them six foot long color tv/stereo/turntable/8 track console thingies. The other thing he bought was a spankin' new Ruger Super Blackhawk.
    One day shortly after, we heard a ruckus, and then every Security Police officer on duty was at his home. Apparently, he'd switched on Bonanza, and while sitting on the couch (in costume, and looking like Cleavon Little in Blazing Saddles) was helping Ben and the boys deal with some bad guys in a gun fight with his newly acquired .44.........pulled that muther out and proceeded to blow a hole through the tube of that new color television, then through the living room window, and took out the driver's side window on his neighbor's spankin' new F-250...........................
    I'd liked to have been a mouse in the corner of the Old Man's office listening to him explain that one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great story!! Dance, Hop-Sing Dance.....chop chop......

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my dad tossed ours out the door when i was in 6th grade.. seems he left it sit there on the lawn for all the visitors to see unit it snowed. i can remember him getting so up set at us watching it. that his idea of paretal control was to install an ignition swich.. yes our tv needed a key to use the power button.. i can say we kids learned to read. and hunt, and run, and did chores. lots of them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wow Vince. My dad did almost the same identical thing. My dad's a very religious man and when my brother said the F word after a guy on tv did the tv flew out the window about 15 seconds later. We never had another until I moved out. And yes we read a good alot, hunted, played in the woods, and a butt load of chores. But I feel the better for it. I think he did a good thing chunking it out the window.

Thumbs up great story!

man those were the days....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default And there are days...

that I'd like to put a 500 gr. FMJ right through the guts of this PC....................

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    that I'd like to put a 500 gr. FMJ right through the guts of this PC....................
    Hey - that might be a good bullet test. Let us know how much expansion you get and the weight retention.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.