Thread: Sitka Coldfront or Stormfront?

Default Sitka Coldfront or Stormfront?

which do i pick? or neither and stick with my helly? help!!! i know brwnbr wasnt impressed with his and that really scares me! or did he just get a bad deal? nearly all my goretex has leaked, but being a much higher end goretex is this that much better?

p.s. (its a christmas present)

The cold front is good for what it is. I tried it on but honestly it would be too warm for when I would want to take out in the field durring hunting season. Perhaps in the interior for a late season moose hunt, but I can find gear that performs doing that tyoe of activity in that weather for less.

The storm front gear has lost any appeal to me expecially w/ the F@1L grade from Jake. I was impressed witht he cheap cabelas pants that Alaska_Lanch sports with full side zips. He has several seasons of hard use on them and they are going strong, and when they do tear up he can get another pair for cheap! For Jackets I am happy so far with my Event jacket but i have been blessed with mostly good weather so far so I can't really reccommend it just yet.

Coldfront - don't know

Stormfront Light - avoid like the plague because the seems are garbage

Stormfront - 2 thumbs up, spendy, but very functional and durable thus far from reports

Brett

how much of a difference is there in the coldfront and stormfront? the way i understood it, the coldfront just basically has a light fleece in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Browningguy9 View Post
    how much of a difference is there in the coldfront and stormfront? the way i understood it, the coldfront just basically has a light fleece in it?
    I believe the storm front is rain gear where the cold front is just the next step above the 90% for warmth. From what I have seen it is basically a 90% with fleece inside.

the coldfront is a goretex soft shell. which from what ive read on it, its basically 3 layer gore-tex with a fleece lining and softer outer. think its too warm to hike in? cant be worse than impertech can it lol? the stormfront is a goretex performance shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Coldfront - don't know

Stormfront Light - avoid like the plague because the seems are garbage

Stormfront - 2 thumbs up, spendy, but very functional and durable thus far from reports

Brett

I've seen the regular stormfront raingear (not the light) leak blood through the knees after just a short amount of time skinning. As well as leak in the knee area get wet just from hiking through wet brush. Also got a nice size tear after hanging up on a rock. Not super rain gear IMO. Just as susceptible as lesser rain gear in how it holds up. Basically you are paying the premium for the optifade camo which IMO isn't worth the $$$. I'll stick to my cheap $50 rain pants for now.

welllllllllllllllllllllllll, after 15 hours of research/pondering i went with the coldfront...... i figure for 500.00 off msrp i can try it. (maybe that shows how bad the mark-up is...) i figure ill give the high end goretex a ride before i totally write off goretex. and honestly impertech pisses me off with NO ventilation...

Oh, and i got Mountain Mimicry...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I've seen the regular stormfront raingear (not the light) leak blood through the knees after just a short amount of time skinning. As well as leak in the knee area get wet just from hiking through wet brush. Also got a nice size tear after hanging up on a rock. Not super rain gear IMO. Just as susceptible as lesser rain gear in how it holds up. Basically you are paying the premium for the optifade camo which IMO isn't worth the $$$. I'll stick to my cheap $50 rain pants for now.

I agree about the premium for Optifade. It isn't worth it/unnecessary for rain gear, but other stuff I would say it's the best thing going. Especially for bow hunters. I still like the Otte rain gear if you don't think Helly will get it done.

Brett