Thread: marten prices

Default marten prices

Guys, just wanted to let you know that marten prices look real good this year. My wife just sold some fur in Fbks, and we averaged nearly $80/marten. Mostly males. Get everything you have in before the end of January, if you can, for the first auction. For those that can ship to Western Canadian or other auctions, probably see some darn good prices. If auction prices hold, then local prices should stay good until end of season.

Now if we'd only get some more snow to get out trapping, things are looking good.
    Good luck,

Who did she sell to?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mike, she sold to Wivoda.

Did you have her play the game..........go to Mattie, then to Wivoda? They don't seem to like that, haha.
    Looking like the auctions will be good. North Am marten harvests are way down from 10 or 20 years ago. Should be good demand. Gotta have em in for the jan/feb auctions tho. Best prices then, generally. Always some risks in going the auction route!

Mike, yes she played that game. We got pretty ticked last year. Wivoda gave DOUBLE what Mattie offered. Lori went back to talk to him and Sandy about it; didn't seem right or fair, and we didn't want trappers from the villages coming in to sell fur and getting shortchanged (literally). He offered just over half of what Wivoda ended up paying this year, so again, I'm not sure what the deal is. In the past, he wasn't that far off what Dean would offer. We should get the word out to the villages to steer clear or they will lose a lot of money.

I've always done well with Ted Pappas and Western Canadian. Just don't get paid right up front, though he used to be pretty good about sending advances.
    Best,

Hi guys, who is Wivoda?

Bearbait,

Bill Wivoda - Arctic Raw Fur Co., in Fbks.

Thanks, I didn't know that was his last name.

Sounds good!I might even break even this year.Driving 600 miles a weekend adds up.

Interesting about Mattie, mark. Been a long time since I had marten in town to "play the game" but I remember tha same as you. Mattie and Wilson were usually pretty close. Maybe Mattie makes enough off his store he don't need the commercial fur biz as bad????????? But isn't he a buyer, or a rep for West. Can.??

Oh..........Steve...........keep at it...........get your marten into an auction in Jan. or no later than feb.