Thread: Deshka Landing to Lake Creek

Default Deshka Landing to Lake Creek

Any thoughts on how long it would take to run from the Landing to Lake Creek? Looking at a cabin, want to know if it is feasible.

Thanks for any help - Gooch

It takes me 35 minutes in summer by boat and an hour in winter by snowmobile. But I am cautious. Others make it faster.

Question Huh???

35 minutes? How fast is your boat? I don't think you'd see all the fly in traffic at lake creek if everyone had a boat as fast as yours!

Isn't lake creek like 40-50 miles from the landing - 10 or 15 miles below Skewtna???

Maybe a different lake creek?

Lake creek was more of a zoo than the keani last time I was there BTW.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Id have to agree,35 minutes sounds about an hour or more less than my guess would be.Took my 22ft inboard jet up there (big block chevy)and i seem to remember about an hour and 45 min...??????

I use all the shortcuts, and travel from point to point, rather than following the channels. In winter I pretty much stick to the established trail and that tends to take the scenic route. I have done it a bunch and it is routine, except when encountering winds.

In a boat it will take about one hour and fifteen min, winter a little longer
    depending on the trail you also tend to stop more, so figure about one and a half +.

Default 47-50 miles

We make the trip often (both summer and winter). Depending on the route you take, it'll be 47-50 miles from Deshka Landing to the mouth of Lake Creek. The fastest I have made the trip on snowmachine is 59 minutes. (I think the Iron dog riders make the trip from Big Lake to Skwentna in about an hour). I run a 200 hp outboard with a prop in the summer on a 23' wide beam boat and make the trip in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. That's cruising at just under 40 mph on the GPS, going all the way to the mouth of the Yentna, and staying in the main channel. Most of the bigger boats seem to cruise at about that speed or just a little slower. When I put the jet unit on that same boat, my cruise speed drops to about 30 mph and the trip takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes (less straight line opportunities late Sept.- early Nov.). It IS BUSY though especially when the fish are in, and snowmachine traffic has really picked up since I've started going out there (not even 10 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Lake creek was more of a zoo than the keani last time I was there BTW.
    I hope you're kidding. I have a trip booked up there in August. Have you heard of McDogall's?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

A few miles down river from Lake Creek.

How hard is it to read the river past the deska to lake creek I hear once in the Yetna its no problem. I would like to try it this summer I have a 24 woolridge 460 inboard if someone doesnt mind me taging along. What type of salmon run I know kings what about silvers.

Yes usually have a good run of silvers and a few reds.

I just read this thread for the first time. Did somebody really say 35 minutes from the Landing to Lake Creek? Even in high water where there were some shortcuts available, that means the boat is travelling near 100mph? Not likely.

By snow-go during an average winter it's 17 miles from the Landing to the mouth of the Yentna (scary tree) taking every shortcut and travelling a much straighter line than any boat could. Allowing for a few added boat miles and a 40mph boat, it'd take better than a half hour to get to the Yentna confluence. At that point you aren't even half way to Lake Creek.

When I had a fast Wooldridge I figured an hour and a half.

The original question of whether it's feasible? Absolutely. From the Landing's opening weekend until closing weekend guys go to Lake Creek and beyond by boat. Several did it back when the only launch was at Kashwitna Landing.

Default August

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I hope you're kidding. I have a trip booked up there in August. Have you heard of McDogall's?
    August is just fine. It is only during the King season that the circus occurs. There are lots of relatively closeby drainages that you will likely being going to as well as Lake Creek. For silvers, I highly recommend Fish Lakes Creek, Indian Creek and slough as well as Moose Creek. There is one excellent creek, called Kutna Creek, a little ways up 20 mile slough. If you are using a guide, they should know the hot spots. But if you aren't getting the action you desire, tell them to relocate to one of the other areas. These other creeks are only about 15 minutes away from Lake Creek.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    How hard is it to read the river past the deska to lake creek I hear once in the Yetna its no problem. I would like to try it this summer I have a 24 woolridge 460 inboard if someone doesnt mind me taging along. What type of salmon run I know kings what about silvers.
    If you wanna range a bit farther I know the best stream you will ever fish, in other words I'd love to tag along
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    If you wanna range a bit farther I know the best stream you will ever fish, in other words I'd love to tag along
    I can get to Skwentna VIA Kroto Slough (if the water is high enough). My boat is not that fast (38MPH) but light if we run aground. Do you know any pike areas?????

ak powder monkey

Your welcome to tag along. I have some property on 20 mile but only been to it once.

Default Yentna River Land

We have 5 acres on the Yentna River just below the "Big Bend" that we are interested in selling if anyone is interested. Great bluff view parcel with no flood problems. Just seems that we ever have time to go there any more now that we have our Chitina Dipnetting Charter buisiness on the Copper River. Drop me a line if interested @captainkims05@yahoo.com or 907-460-5899. Thanks, Captain Kim

How much are you asking for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It takes me 35 minutes in summer by boat and an hour in winter by snowmobile. But I am cautious. Others make it faster.
    By airplane "MAYBE"! LOL. Sry man but I have made trip a hundred thousand times and there is no wya to do it in "35 minutes" even taking the short cut's. LOL 35 minutes, hehehehhehe.