Thread: customized taxidermy

Default customized taxidermy

Quick history: Kodiak goat hunt this year was good, nice heavy large billy, but unfortunately had a rubbed out cape. I shot the billy on the pretense that the cape was dirty, not rubbed off.

Anyway, I had to purchase a goat cape for the taxidermy (shoulder mount). The cape is good, but my taxidermist thought I was a bit nuts for asking him to cut the left ear off 1/2 way to the head. The billy I shot had his left ear presumably frost-bitten off so only half of it was left.

Am I nutz, or would all/any of you do this to the mount? Yes, it will look imperfect on the wall, and yes, it will require an explanation which I will be glad to tell, again and again.

Granted, I only take it so far, or I would mount the billy with his "baldy" cape. I'm not about to shear his hair to match, but I thought the ear would be cool.

Do any of you hide the natural blemishes of the animals you shoot, or leave them exposed, on display?

Default good question

When you die do you want them to take out your dentures for the viewing? Granted you have a viewing.

I say spruce them horns up with a nice cape and leave the ear whole. At some point that Billy was handsome do him the honor of looking so on your wall.

My $.02

I came up with another solution for you! I have a couple detachable antlers on a couple of my elk because they are so hard to get into a room through the doors....I am about 99% sure your taxidermist could make a detachable ear! The hair is so long in that area you probably wouldn't be able to tell when you take it out or possible have a patch of hair that could replace the stub when you pull out the ear? Just have your taxidermist mount the ear on a liner with a stub that fits inside an ear socket!

My preference would be to leave the new ear attached. I've shot several deer and elk that had broken tines (from fighting, falling, etc) and I think they look a lot more impressive with the all the original tines on them. I've also harvested some freako bucks and bulls before and they are an oddity so I leave them as they are.

You could always have your taxidermist mount it with the ear attached and if you don't like it have it removed later?

Default easily persuadable?

Maybe I'm easily influenced, but I'm giving a lot of thought to keeping the ear normal. I always have pictures that allow actual reflection of the events - detail by detail.

Bighorse, I like your idea of honoring the big billy as he was in his prime. I'll have to give it a bit more thought, but I'm glad I asked...

Glad to hear with you are going with the 2-eared goat mount!

I leave all animals as they are when I walk up on them, whether it is battle scars or parts missing.

To me it shows they had a rough life and had to fight to live.

Keep it natural.

You want perfect, buy a pristine cape and some fake antlers/horns.

Cast and Blast,

Big billy like that deserves a prime winter coat!!!!....hang on to your horns and skull until next year. Gives you another excuse to goat hunt again next season, to get you that thick prime hide...maybe think about a lifesize habitat scene.

As a dermist, I try fill my customers request the best I can. I also try to mount the specimen in the way it was in the field. The way it was just before the shot, or when you first spotted it. Some thing you can look at years down the road, and it takes you back to that moment. I also ask for pictures that they may have and use them as a guide; no two animals look the same. With that said, some things just cannot be saved but I would alter and still make it look comparable.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Default like it

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    When you die do you want them to take out your dentures for the viewing? Granted you have a viewing.

I say spruce them horns up with a nice cape and leave the ear whole. At some point that Billy was handsome do him the honor of looking so on your wall.

My $.02
    I like your take on this and would have to agree.

Default Leave it on

I say leave it on.. If you paid the money to get a new cape.. Leave it on.. As a taxidermis myself, I would bet your taxidermist would encourage you to leave it on.. Why? Because wiht 1 ear it will look like shotty work unless one knows the story.. (frostbite ear).. most will think it is poor taxidermy work unless they ask.. and your taxidermist name will be on it.. Just my .02 I guess..

For a goat, Give it a good cape, and a beautiful pose.. their majestic and deserve the best..

Regards: Hoytman

Default its yours

do you what you want....full ear-half ear...its up to you...personally i would go for the half ear....thats how it was when you shot it...if you leave the ear full yah people will look up at it and all they will say is "nice goat"....but if you make it how it was they will ask whoa what happen to its ear.....and then you can relive the whole experience again by telling them your fantastic story of how you came to acquire such grand trophy...which is alot better than having to say you dropped it off the wall which is how most goats lose their ears
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

how on earth do you know his ear was whole in his prime??
    half an ear is what you shot...
    i wouldn't fix broken tines or chipped horns. no way would i fix the ear...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Go with half an ear and call him Evander
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

If he can make the half ear look as it did when you shot it that'd be cool.

I killed a goat with perfect horns and hair but I put a bullet rake on his front leg below his pantaloon, I believed it would help remember the hunt so I had the taxi do a half life size and leave the rake. I like it.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.