Thread: refinishing 10/22 receiver

Default refinishing 10/22 receiver

I'm refinishing a 10/22 receiver. I have removed most of the bluing on it and would like to end up with a stainless look when finished. Any suggestions for removing the rest of the factory black finish in the hard to get to areas. And what to use for final finishing.

Ahhh, that wasn't blueing, that was anodizing, a form of plating. Now you are down to raw aluminum. Probably best to powder coat it or something similar. Most of the coatings are available in a variety of colors.

Clear spray paint may be the easiest way now

As mentioned, the action is aluminum and it is anodized, not blued.

It depends on if you want a polished look, or a mattel look. Either way you'll need to polish the receiver to some degree. If you want the polished look, use a buffing wheel to get the desired level of shine, then I'd agree with a clear spray paint as the aluminum will oxidize and will get dull in the future.

For a matte finish, bead blast the action, then clear coat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As mentioned, the action is aluminum and it is anodized, not blued.

It depends on if you want a polished look, or a mattel look. Either way you'll need to polish the receiver to some degree. If you want the polished look, use a buffing wheel to get the desired level of shine, then I'd agree with a clear spray paint as the aluminum will oxidize and will get dull in the future.

For a matte finish, bead blast the action, then clear coat it.
    Yup, I agree on the buff and/or blast. If you polish it to a high shine then dull it by blasting with baking soda it should approximate mat stainless steel.

For the coating look to the automotive industry as there are special coatings they use for aluminum wheels and trim that are far more durable than the old school clear coat.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona