Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Backpacker Ammo

Default Alaskan Backpacker Ammo

Does anyone have info on Alaskan Backpacker Ammo sold at WalMarts around Anchorage? I hear this ammo is produced in Eagle River, but I can't find any further info on the web. I'm wondering who makes it, what are the components/specs (in 45-70), and what experience people have had with hunting or self defense with this ammo? Any info is appreciated!

You might try to contact the company who made it. They could provide some insight.
    Tennessee

Well, that's my problem.....I can't find any info who makes it.

Then I would most certaintly avoid it.
    Tennessee

Default Alaska Backpacker Ammo...

I have a box here in my hands in 454 Casull, it is 370 hard cast bullets and starline brass.

It's the only one I have now but I did a rather extensive shoot up of this and Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore and Federal all using hard cast bullets. I think I posted a write up about this on the old froum, it should be in the archives.

These companies use hard cast bullets from Cast Performance or Bear Tooth bullets and in the handgun calibers, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt, 454 Casull and 480 Ruger and 500 S&W, all are loaded with ball powder (H110/W296). Ak backpacker is everybit the quality ammo of the big companies and of Cor-Bon the leader in high performance ammo. Both companies use starline and Cast Performance or Bear Tooth and the same old ball powder. The ballistics are about equal but not all bullet weights are represented. Some companies use some solid copper "penetrator" bullets but I've only seen cast bullets in the Ak backpacker.

These loads are meant to be the best in bear protection for the person who totes a big bore handgun. I make my own to the same velocity with the same bullets and brass(I've been doing it for twenty years) but I use R-123, Vihta N110 or H4227 powder. No "Ball Powder Blues" for me.

There is no address on the box but I too hear it is made in Alaska somewhere. There is also a license number on the label Lic.#3E-35273, I think the ID part of an FFL. I would not hesitate to use it given the normal caveat for H110/W296.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I bought some 44 mag bullets at Boondocks a few years ago. According to the saleman they were loaded in Anchorage and, of course, they were top notch when it came to bear defence rounds.

On the box it says, Gary's Bullets & Ammo. theres no number for the horn or anything. Maybe this will help you find your way to the Alaskan Backpacker Ammo. If not disregard my post. Its a shot in the dark.

If it is made by Gary's he does all the gunshows and sells quite a bit of ammo and bullets.
    But call me skeptical, I wouldnt use any ammo by a company who will not list there address or contact information. A good company is proud of what they make, they dont hide there identity
    Tennessee

Default H110 caveat?

Murphy,

What is the H110 caveat?

Thanks.

Forestar

I recently purchased a used 8mm Remington Mag. A long with the rifle came 6 boxes of ammo reloaded by Gary's Bullets and Ammo. It shoot REALLY well. I tried looking for him but so far have drawn a blank. There were no over pressure signs or any type problem with the ammo, and my brother proved it also works on caribou.
    There's a Garry's Bullets and Handgun Training listed in the yellow pages 563-8797 but I have not called yet to see if its the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestar View Post
    Murphy,

What is the H110 caveat?

Thanks.

Forestar
    Well, just the normal ball powder difficulties. Hard to ignite, needs heavy crimp/bullet pull, and the cold weather cause erratic ignition and velocities. In the cold weather chronographing post, there's more.

H110/W296 will give some of the highest velocities and most high performance ammo makers use them but if used in extremely cold weather or with a less than adequate primer for the weather, there will be problems. Most of the time and certainly for temps above zero with good crimp, etc ball powder works fine.

This is just my opinion and your mileage may vary, I've been know to push things to failure.

How is that peep working out? How's the weather in Sitka?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default H110, etc.

Murphy:

Based on that info, I should be fine down here in balmy Sitka. We rarely get temps below 0. I use H110 in my Dan Wesson 445 with 300 grain cast bullets and am planning on trying it in a 41 mag with 200 grain cast bullets. I'd just never heard about the potential problems (then again, I've never used any ball powders before). Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to try the peep at the range yet. I've been on a reduced-recoil regime lately, due to a (sorta) detached retina. Come January I should be OK again. BUT, I did mount the peep, just to see how it might work; the aperature looks kinda small that far (8-9 inches) from my eye. It'll probably work as is, but I've thought about enlarging it -- or would that be a sacrilege? Together with [Warne] QD mounts, it should be an ideal rig. Ever had much success with RL-19 and 300 gr bullets in the 375?

Happy Holidays.

I use H110/W296 exclusively in my 45 Colt. Looks like Alaska backpacker ammo is the same as what I load, just a little lighter.

I like 340 grain Beartooth Bullets (www.beartoothbullets.com has a good forum there too) behind something like 26.5 to 27 grains of H110/W296. Yes, my Ruger Bisley handles it fine. I use StarLine brass, and Federal pistol magnum primers. I use Federal Rifle Magnum primers in the cold, never had an issue.

In other experiences (357 mag, 41 mag, 44 Mag and even 45 Colt) I have seen W296 loaded to fill the case behind the lead. No measuring was done, it was just filled up. No compression or anything fancy. Worked darn good too.

Disclaimer:
    Don't do what I do, unless you are well informed about what you are doing. I have NDI methods available to me, and do check for firearm fatigue. I check for pressure signs with EVERY piece of brass.

Snowwolfe - Your point about hiding one's identity is well taken! You would think that a local producer would trumpet their product.

Murph - I'll check out your shoot-up.

I think I'll take a pass on this ammo and go with Garrett or Buffalo Bore.....or better yet, make my own!

Thanks to everyone for the info and have a great holiday.

Default backpacker ammo

I am seeking the same information. I really like the 200g .357 mag ammo. I have shot quite a bit of it in several revolvers, recoil is low and penetration is deep. I buy in on the military installations, the salesmen seemed to know a good bit about the ammo and manufacturer. Only makes sense that the manu. has to hawk it to AAFES which is an accomplishment in itself. Received same info made locally in Anchorage. Will delve deeper next time I'm in town, and let you all know. In the meantime, anyone with any further info pass it around. If you are looking for a substitute try Double-Tap, at least for .357 mag loads (the only cartridge necessary for everything).

Default I have bought it before at walmart

I think they still carry it. Brown plastic case with a gold label. Not sure if it Backpacker ammo but it is made in Eagle River. As far as Gary bullets and handgun training. I took my CCW with him. Very cool guy. I seen him once in Boondocks and they seemed to have known him well. So could ask there for him. When I took his course he was or had moved from his location on Arctic. Not sure where he ended up. He said he also had plans for a under ground indoor pistol range for here in Anchorage. Supposed to be near Mountain View I think. But never heard about that going into construction. The ammo from walmart shoots very smooth. I think it is made with Sierra 300 soft points though. I don't believe they were hard cast. I put my dad spring bear down years ago that was spined but still trying to turn my direction. I let him have one behind the head in the neck. His head ended up tucked close to his front legs. That bullet went into the neck, traveled down the back bone, through the head, down along the jaw and out the front lip with out damaging the hide. I was maybe 30' away though.

Alaska Backpacker Ammo is made on the peninsula. The same guy makes the Grate Land Ammo.

Well I for one want to to know who makes the ammo. My revolver just exploded last night on the range while shooting some of thief .45 colt ammo. I have pics but I only have a iPhone for Internet right now, full Pics will be up Tuesday.

Default Ak Backpacker Ammo - database

Limetrude started a helpful thread about this ammo -containing what seems to be known about this ammo - much contributed by Murphy -

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=limetrude

Quote Originally Posted by cmanavy View Post
    Well I for one want to to know who makes the ammo. My revolver just exploded last night on the range while shooting some of thief .45 colt ammo. I have pics but I only have a iPhone for Internet right now, full Pics will be up Tuesday.

Wow!
    What was the revolver????
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Forum Sponsor

I did some research through some people and I guess the guy that makes it is down in Homer. Being local he doesn't want to let his contact info out so as not to be bothered. Check with the person you bought the ammo from and they can go back through the distributor that sold them the ammo and on up to the manufacturer.
    Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast