Thread: Exclusive guide area

Default Exclusive guide area

This is year I'm putting in for a Kodiak Brown Bear Tag for the first time and the majority of these areas are exclusively guided areas. Just to clarify that means no other guides can hunt on those exclusive areas and it doesn't excluded private recreational hunters? I just want to make sure before I waste a permit. I never dealt with this issue before and hopefully someone out there has. Thanks for any help.

You are correct, it only applies to other guides. But, if you get drawn I would contact the guide before the hunt and work out an arrangement concerning hunting locations so you can avoid running into each other.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    You are correct, it only applies to other guides. But, if you get drawn I would contact the guide before the hunt and work out an arrangement concerning hunting locations so you can avoid running into each other.
    Good idea, unless the guide doesn't want you in his/her trophy area...........

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

His clients don't want to see other hunters and I know I don't like to see other hunters when I'm hunting. I'm not saying don't do your research, but call and tell him you plan to be on a certain lake or river so even if you're in the same general area you can still avoid bumping each other.

I had a similar situation happen on a SE brown bear hunt. Walking out to the river the first day, my wife and I ran into the guide and his client. We worked it out where he would hunt the northern half of the river from the cabin we were staying in and we would hunt the southern half. We were both able to enjoy the hunt without causing undue hardship for the other and we were both successful.

Default question

don't guides have 3 areas statewide they can use? so that any number of them could use the same area(s)? i would'nt call that exclusive if thats the case.

I dont know about Guides (Laws and such) but a guy can hunt most anywhere, open to public recreational hunting or Subsistance hunting.

Ive never had a problem with guides hunting in my hunting grounds.

Theres so much out there, only a poor Hunter would complain.

Been personally "informed' they were in the area, with them landing the plane on the river at my camp, sauntering over rather heavily armed and calling for us...... but it was a curtisy call, and we had seen the plane landing, so we left our nets and walked up the river. They didnt know if we were home(all that "HELLOOOOO") and wanted us to know what the palnes and people were up to, introduce themselfs and such. real cool.
    Before they left for the winter we sold lots of artwork to their clients, got drunk a couple times, hosted a bunch of weather'd out guys and even picked up two guys with our boat,who were camped on the rivers sandbar with rain getting it interesting because the plane had no more sand bar to land on. They were so cool, I did it for free ~~LOL!!~~

Because they couldnt pay us for our extensive hospitality, those guys flew in and hosted my entire family in a guest house, with a car to use, in FBX as a "Thank You" and even flew us home after a month
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I dont know about Guides (Laws and such) but a guy can hunt most anywhere, open to public recreational hunting or Subsistance hunting.

Ive never had a problem with guides hunting in my hunting grounds.

Theres so much out there, only a poor Hunter would complain.
    All of the guides I have run into while hunting were decent fellows, but I seem to remember a case going to court last year where a guide was alleged to have shot at a planeload of hunters trying to land on the same strip. I guess some people can be very possessive of the areas they hunt and aren't as open minded as you are about use of the land. Making a call ahead of time will at least let you know if you have the possibility of running into a jerk or a nice guy.

Kay9cop were you hunting 6a?

No, I was hunting 5A out of Yakutat when I ran into that particular guide. I forget his name, but he was friendly and we worked out a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Default kodiak guides

Kodiak guides are exclusive areas managed by the feds. Talk with your transporter about hunt areas and potential conflicts. There are so few tags you can usually work out areas to hunt till one party is sucessful.