Thread: What jacket would you use

Premium Member

Default What jacket would you use

What is a good jacket to use with out breaking the bank. I have used a winter jacket and carhart bibs over the years, but would like to step up a bit. I know the Klim's are great, but don't want to invest that much. I go to Summit only a couple times a year and most of my riding is 60 mile 2-way trip to cabin and ice fishing. I was looking at Katahdin Blizzard jacket. Anybody use these? Are they adequate? They are about $150. Should you buy them a size larger than normal to allow for layering, bibs, and possible chest protector? Or do they usually run big to account for this?
    Thanks for input.

Wife and I have Arctiva riding gear we picked up at Fish Creek Sales. I have been happy with it so far, seems to be good stuff and much cheaper than Klim or the other big ones!

Default HMK Stealth

I got an HMK Stealth from a guy on a snowest forum. Great Jacket. Comes with a liner. 215$ delivered. Nice pocket placement. I wear just the shell down to 0 degrees and do just fine. I've been in -35 with the shell and liner and its great. Nice jacket, look it up. PM me if you want the guys email, as far as i know he's still selling them.

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a Kahadin Blizzard. Hopefully I won't be dissapointed. I ordered it with the zip-out lining. I don't normally ride below -10'. Anyway thanks for the info.

What is a Kahadin Blizzard? I googled it and got your post on this forum but zero about a jacket! Link?

I had a friend that picked up a nice jacket from AIH, I believe it was a Choko or something like that and it was less than $100.

mountain hardware and north face make some coats that are probably better than klim but half the price.

I wear a carhart extreme arctic jacket and then a cabelas fleece under it, it works and I'm not breaking the bank.

Premium Member

Sorry Jaymac. It would have helped if I would have spelled it correctly.

Katahdin blizzard. http://www.katahdingear.com

I got mine from J R Graham. The jacket was $119 after their 15% off. The liner was 33.96

I received it and it seems well made and should be heavey enough for Alaska weather. The liner is heavy fleece with a nylon lining for easy off. The jacket dosen't have sleeve or collar attachments for the liner, I will probablly figure a way to do that with buttons or velcro.

I have worn carharts for sno-going all these years also, kept plenty warm but ended up with a wet seat most of the time.

Koho,
    Thanks for the info. I'm also looking for a jacket. I'm checking out the link you sent...

Katahdin is pretty good gear at a good price and would buy their bibs again. Arctiva is nice also, haven't tried them yet as mine aren't worn out yet.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I've got a pair of the Arctiva Mechanized bibs and those things are h e l l for stout and super warm. From what i've seen so far Arctiva gear is very, very good stuff.

A guy I work with uses the Refridgewear bibs etc from AIH. He says they are very tough, warm and reasonably priced.

Charterboat Operator

MARITA SEA AND SKI
    anybody looking for an inexpensive jacket should stop by, they have there Scott closeouts (lastyears)$99.00 gortex jackets and some bibs as well.
    warm and dry.

my .02