Thread: SPRO vs. Sampo Swivels?

Default SPRO vs. Sampo Swivels?

I start collecting bits and pieces of replacement saltwater salmon and halibut gear as the winter months drag on. I have always been a fan of ball-bearing swivels since they became available and have been loyal to "Sampo" brand. So far I have never had any failures with Sampo and can judge their popularity by how hard it is to find the solid-ring type I use during the fishing seasons.

I see "SPRO" brand ball-bearing swivels all the time in catalogs and in the local stores but I have never tried them. From what I can tell they are only slightly less expensive than Sampo There must be a lot of people using them, too - has anyone had any failures with SPRO's products? Thanks in advance.

You should check out the new Mustad swivel chains. They are like three swivles together and they seem to work really well.

I have always used SAMPO and never had any reason to change, A lot of my friends use SPRO and have never had a problem with them. I have seen the new chain swivels mentioned by AKCapt, and will order a couple to look over, but for the most part, I will stick with Sampo, With $400 for reel , $200 for rod, $60 for line whats $1.50 for the confidence of a product you know works well?

I have used both and NEVER had a problem. They are worth the money you spend on them.

Spro makes very good swivels. I have been using them for big saltwater fish in the tropics and they have never failed me.

Default That's Good Enough For Me

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I will be sticking with what has been working for me so far.

And thanks AKCAPT - I'll give those Mustad swivels a try. I saw them in the Pacific Rim gear store over in Kona but didn't bother to pick any up at the time. Guess I got distracted by all of the other cool gear I was packing by then. ;-]

Spro swivels is a very good product. I have used them a lot in the last couple years in fresh and salt water with good results. Have not lost a fish yet that could be linked to them failing. You will be pleased with them.