Thread: Honda 25 hp comments wanted

Default Honda 25 hp comments wanted

I am considering purchasing a new Honda 25 hp, tiller, pull start. I am interested in good comments or bad comments regarding durability, ease of starting, dependability, etc. I know what the dealers say but I want to hear from the users.

Default Hondas

John,

I've never owned a 25hp but I have had both 50hp and 8 hp-you really can't go wrong with Honda. They are very dependable and if properly maintained will give you years of service.

hondas are no good. anything over 15. I know guys that work at mining and diving and every honda needs tuned out of the crate. I bought two yamaha T-50's in 04 and they have never been tuned or been the shop. Motors were delivered and installed a few months later and that was that. Boat builder bought a 20horse because of the cost, price was same as the yamaha 15. Its been nothing but trouble. runs pretty good now but the first season had it all tore apart. Carbs were messed up and was running funny. He has just been dealing with and kicking himself. He has always been a yamaha guy. When it comes to boats all you need to know is Yamaha and Garmin. For me after hearing their tech tell me about all the motors needing tuned just confirmed what i have always heard about them. Never and never will own honda personally. thats my two cents.

Well now akrstabout, I have to disagree. I know about Alumaweld (http://www.alumaweldboats.com/detail...ge=description) and Mercury and have been extremely happy for many years. My Merc has been fantastic! This past season I bought a slightly used Honda 8 HP kicker and it's been unbelievable. The motor starts on the first pull, every time. I can troll all day on less than a gallon of gas. It pushes my 18' sled around just fine. If I have to someday replace my Merc, I'll take a serious look at the bigger Honda engines.
    BYW, my son is a Yamaha mechanic and even though he thinks the Yamahas are great engines, he slightly favors the Honda engines.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default Honda

JohnT, I have a 150 and a 20 honda and I have been very pleased with them. No carbs, they are injected. As Doug said, they start first time every time, even after sitting all winter. I'm on my third season and I would buy Honda again when I go larger. If you want to to see the feed back about Honda's from a large group of boaters go to hulltruth.com and do a search on "Honda." They are extremely well regarded. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the new 4 strokes of any major brand.