Thread: Thompson/Center

Default Thompson/Center

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    I just put in for a draw to hunt deer on Lanai for a black powder hunt; I'm a newbie to hunting and thinking of getting a Thompson/Center Encore for a firearm. We have a back-up plan to hunt private land and if that happens, it's open to high power rifle (hence my desire to get a versatile gun, to take 2 different barrels).
    Anyone have opinions on this Encore? Not sure exactly what alternate barrel to get if we go high power hunting, something .270 or similar? The Axis deer are not large and long distance shooting is not mandatory; may not even scope it. I guess I should check to see what common ammo is available locally as that will determine course of action but I've seen .243, .270, .308, 30-30, 30-06 for sure here.
    Just looking for some feedback on the above!
    Thanks,
    Jim

I boguht a Encore with a 209x50 muzzleloading barrell on it. This barrell will not shoot right, large groups. I called T.C. and told them what the barrell was doing and what I had done to get it to shoot and they told me to send it back to them and they would fix or replace it. No problems! I have a 7mm Rem. Mag Barrell that shoots real good. Also have a contender in 7-30 Waters that does good.
    I have had a lot of dealings with T.C. guns over the years and this is the first problem I have encountered. When I called about the barrell the customer service was first class. I actually got to talk to somebody fast. Explained the problem, guy said no problem we will take care of it. Would be nice if a lot of other companies would take care of there customers like T.C. does.

Default TC Encore

I bought a 50 cal TC Encore Pro Hunter a couple years ago for a once in a lifetime Utah elk hunt and it was amazing! I'm not exactly sure what the muzzy regs are for the area you are hunting but I went all out ss modern as I could go on my UT elk hunt. You can use a 1x scope plus sabots in Utah. I spent the entire summer shooting and got a load where I could consistently shoot 6" groups at 200 yards. That is pretty amazing for a 1x dot scope and if I had a 4x or better I could even shoot better groups. The sabots I was using only dropped a little over 6" at 200 yards.

Obviously if you have to use other types of bullet/round balls with iron sites you may be limited to 100 yards (they drop more plus open sites is pretty tough past 100 yards).

I ended up shooting a whopper 9x8 bull at 214 yards....twice. The first shot went through 1 lung and the 2nd shot put him down. I love that muzzy and trust it just as much as my 300 WSM Sako 85! My buddy drew the same UT elk tag last year and borrowed my Encore. He shot his nice 6x6 bull at 150 yards and it only ran about 75 yards after the shot.

I actually bought a 300 Winchester Mag barrel for the encore and without a doubt it is the hardest kicking son-of-a gun I have ever shot. My face and shoulder took a horrendous beating from that combo and I actually sold the barrel. The encore is so light that I suspect that is why it kicked so hard..but I wouldn't wish that to anyone! I have a 300 Weatherby mag plus a 300 WSM and their kick is nothing like the encore 300 Win Mag! If you decide to go with the Encore I'd likely get a 30 06 or smaller round?

With that said I don't think you could go wrong with a TC Encore. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me directly or I'll check back at this post.

If you buy scope mounts make sure you buy a 1 piece that can take a lot of punishment because (like any muzzy) they kick pretty good!

Wonder if someone makes an aftermarket recoil pad for the Encore? Fortunately for me and the local hunting here I don't think I'd need a large caliber round.
    Jim

I haven't shot the muzzleloader, but I have the Pro Hunter in .338 Federal. It isn't a tack driver, but it shoots well enough. And it's wonderfully light and indestructible, perfect for the hills of Kodiak. I've toyed with the idea of another barrel in a distinctly different caliber, like 300 WM or 375 H&H. I'm a fan.

That said, I've heard really good things about the CVA switch-barrel guns too. You might give them a look. Depending on what caliber strikes your fancy, you may have better luck with the T/C, since they've been around so long there are more available. Midway lists a ton.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Wonder if someone makes an aftermarket recoil pad for the Encore? Fortunately for me and the local hunting here I don't think I'd need a large caliber round.
    Jim
    Yeppers sure do. My limbsaver girly man pad is on my Christmas list.

I have an encore with 24" 22-250 and 30/06 barrels, 18" 45/70 barrel, and 209x50 barrels. The 22-250 and 30/06 barrels are very accurate and have accounted for quite a bit of game, Just shot three whitetails with three shots last week in MI with the 30/06 barrel. THe 45/70 barrel is unbelievably short compared to most normal rifles, without the action length most rifles have the encore is shorter across the board. It makes a good boat gun because it doesn't take up any space. The 209x50 is just about as close as you can get to a centerfire rifle and still be a muzzle loader. Easy to clean, easy to load and very accurate. I've mainly used "Clearshot" american gold powder and 777 but look forward to trying out the blackhorn 209 powder after hearing some really good things about it.

I have had several encores and several barrels over the last 10 years, I tend to play with them, get bored, sell them and start all over again. Planning on keeping this last one because my boy is left eye dominant and I don't have any left handed guns. Will probably get a 20ga vent rib barrel for it in the near future.

Of all the encore barrels I have had I have only had a few that wouldn't shoot up to my expectations, only one that I gave up on, it was a 25/06 barrel and wouldn't shoot anything other than a 117gr sierrra gameking into lessthan 2" at 100 yards. Most of my barrels will shoot MOA or there abouts. I have found putting rubber washers between the barrel and forearm to greatly inhance accuracy and consistancy. Its really hard to beat a 5 cent fix that brings group size from 3" to less than one. As for the hard kickers the new prohunter stock with the limbsaver and stock inserts should help with that.

The only bad thing I have found was with the 209x50 barrel. I have had 3 stocks crack on mine. They have all broken while loading from lateral pressure on the stock. Two of them were laminants. All were quickly replaced by T/C. I would recomend the boyds laminated stock or a synthetic stock if you will use the muzzle loader barrel much. I would also stick with easier to load bullets like powerbelts and the new hornady bullet that doesn't need a sabot, the sabots tend to be pretty tight and can be difficult to load after a few shots down the bore.

I would definatlely recomnd an encore.

Love the encore shoots unbeleivable groups with the shockwave bullets & triple 7 powder. my daughter who was 15 at the time harvested her whitetail buck @ 205 yards. I hunt with that gun whenever possible you will not be sorry

Default Well...

Thinking this is the route to go! Now to narrow it down to a rifle barrel. My choices for over-the-counter ammo here are: 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm mag. These cost from 31.00 to 40.00 a box.
    The deer (Axis) are not too big, a big 'ole buck might go 200 lbs. with does about 100 lbs. My buddy says the shots range from 150-400 yds, with most about 250. Since I'm new to hunting (never shot a big animal). I was pretty interested in the 25-06, except for TheBear's experience. Otherwise the .270.
    What would you guys pick for this size animal among the above choices?
    Probably go with a lefty stainless, synthetic Encore including one of the above and the .50 cal. black powder.
    Jim

hard to go wrong with the 270 or 30/06. THe 30/06 is definately the most versatile of the one you listed.

There realy isn't that much difference between the 25/05 and 270 but the 270 will handle heavier bullets much better. For animals under 200 lbs any listed will work fine.

You can always do like I did, Get a small caliber barrel, 223=22-250 and then a medium barrel 270-30/06, and the muzzle loader barrel. I'd like to get a vent rib 20ga barrel too. Then I would have all my bases covered for a travel gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I haven't shot the muzzleloader, but I have the Pro Hunter in .338 Federal. It isn't a tack driver, but it shoots well enough. And it's wonderfully light and indestructible, perfect for the hills of Kodiak. I've toyed with the idea of another barrel in a distinctly different caliber, like 300 WM or 375 H&H. I'm a fan.

That said, I've heard really good things about the CVA switch-barrel guns too. You might give them a look. Depending on what caliber strikes your fancy, you may have better luck with the T/C, since they've been around so long there are more available. Midway lists a ton.

Chris

I second Mort on the CVA Optima Elite. I've been looking into them personally. You can get a stainless synthetic with, say a .50 and a .308 for less than $500. And you won't find a Encore for that price unless it's used. They have a ton of different barrels in blued or stainless plus thumbhole stock options. I have a buddy that had an Encore and one that has the Optima Elite. Both are extremely accurate. Plus additional barrels for the CVA are usually about $220 depending on blued or stainless. Encore's are about $320. Now, Mort's probably right in the fact that Encore has more barrel choices. I just don't see paying another 1/3 to 1/2 more for a gun that does the same thing. But there both great guns. Oh yea, they both use Bergara barrels so.......

I shoot a Encore in 7mm Rem.Mag with 150 grain Barnes X bullet. Very good choice for deer sized game up to at least 400 yards. I am sold on the Barnes bullets, they perform very well.