Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitkinak Deer Hunt

Default Sitkinak Deer Hunt

Just got back from Sitkinak and thought I would write up a quick report before I throw the turkey in the oven! Three of us flew out with Andrew Airways on Sunday and arrived on a windy, rainy Sitkinak Island. We quickly pitched the tent and as we were preparing to head out and start hunting a red fox wandered into camp, I got my 22 out the the tent and took him while he was hunting mice. We got him takin care of and headed out into the hills and began seeing deer immediately. The rut was definitely still on as we saw 25 does and 7 bucks the first day and every buck was with a doe. Out of the 7 bucks we saw we took 2 that day. We woke the second morning to sunshine and light winds and had a buck down within the first half hour of hiking. We got him back to camp, ate lunch and headed back out by noon. Around 4pm we spotted a nice buck trailing a doe so we put on a stalk and I took my second buck of the trip. On day three we saw numerous bucks again and had a nice one down by noon. The third guy in our trip took a small deer also for the nice tender meat. In total we saw about 100 does and 27 bucks. The neat thing was each of the 27 bucks we saw was a 3x3 or better, we did not see one small buck the whole time. We almost had to spend thanksgiving on the Island because a nice storm had blown through the night before we were heading out and blew in some snow and heavy winds. We called Andrews and they told us if the runway got too much snow they would not be able to pick us up until Friday. Thankfully we woke up to only a few inches and the winds had died down. My wife would have killed me if I had missed thanksgiving!! Anyway awesome trip, beautiful Island, and lots of deer. Would recommend it to anyone looking to stock up on deer meat for the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pictures

A few more pics

Nice looking group of deer, I would love to hunt some of the islands for deer. Looks like you all had a great hunt. Congrats

Default Whoaaaaa!

Thats a super sweet deer hunting haul. All of those bucks are brutes.

I wouldn't have posted the location........You obviously found a good spot where those animals get some age on em.

Congrats! Now go sharpen your knives you've got some work to do.

Did you see any Brownies there? I am a bit weary of tent camping near Brownies with meat?

I dig that WIDE 2x2 (I guess 3x3 if we're counting eyeguards ).

One of the widest blacktails I've seen in some time. Though it might just be that he doesn't have the height of the others and thus looks much wider than he is...??

Good work. and congrats!

PS: If I had a fresh haul of blacktail.. there is no way I'd be eating TURKEY for thanksgiving. Tradition be ****ed.

Bighorse,

Yeah, we definitely came back with more than we expected. Andrews Air has taken several groups of hunters out there this year so Im pretty sure the secret is out. We did, however, take all the bucks within 1000 yards of each other in a spot that takes a ridiculous hike to get to, so I will keep that spot a secret for next year!!

Bondo,

No we did not see any bears but according to the local rancher they are out there. We kept the meat locked up in an old cool building so the foxes and birds couldn't get to it and that worked great.

icb12,

Thanks, all the deer were pretty wide but that one seemed to be widest. I thought about cooking a deer roast & turkey but I had my hands full cutting and grinding meat while cooking the thanksgiving dinner. My wife didnt look too happy either that I turned the kitchen into a butcher shop

Default Well done.

Nice Job CGswimmer,
    Good to see Mr. Neil out there getting some. Me and him spent some time cruising around AHRS together. I'm down in Sitka. Nice job!!

Thumbs up

Good job on another successful hunt! Those are some great looking blacktails.

Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Default jealous, big time

**** I'm tired of reading about you guys and all your deer hunts. No, not really, I dig it a lot, but sure wish I could get in on that action. Next year! I'm doing it no matter what, solo if need be. Great pics, thanks for posting them and keeping me ramped up, just wish I were doing it! Well done.
    Cody

Default Bears

I was of the opinion that Sitkinak Island didn't have any bears (of either variety). Anyone know for sure?

Phil Stewart

I talked to fish and game before the hunt and they said there were none on the island. The local cattle rancher said he had seen tracks and has found a few carcasses of his cattle all torn up. We hiked a good ways keeping an eye out for tracks and did not see any on the part of the island we were hunting.

If I were you, I'd edit out the location.. Too much scenery in the pics too.. Just my advice from one blacktail hunter to another.

Nice bucks by the way!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    If I were you, I'd edit out the location.. Too much scenery in the pics too.. Just my advice from one blacktail hunter to another.
    Most wouldn't pay the additional costs of getting there, I wouldn't think. I seriously doubt you will see the place over-run by opportunistic internet lurkers, looking for a place to kill blacktails.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Now that I know the place by the pics I am already planning my hunt there for next year!
    Thanks for showing me (and everyone else) where to get some good bucks! :-)

Default great

Love the pictures. Congrats on a job well done. What did you fly in the cessna or the beaver and what did they charge you?
    Last edited by tboehm; 11-29-2009 at 05:34. Reason: spelling

Had I hiked to the top of a mountain and found a big buck honey hole, well then I might keep that spot a secret! Like I said, this Island is well known to deer hunters anyway, but it is the cost that keeps most away. I have got lots of good info from this forum and it's members so thought I would return the favor and maybe a few others will have a good trip out there. Once you arrive to Kodiak (unless you already live here) you can take a wheel plane or Beaver to the island. Costs run between 1300-2700 depending on where you want to go.

Default nice job swimmer

I took the cheap route and made it to Kodiak on 4 wheelers, hooked up with couple CG guys for the trailer and truck once i got to Kodiak. We spent 4 days out at sultry starting sunday. This used to be a no doubter for me back in the early, and late 90's. Never had a problem finding bucks on day trips. Well, 10 years later finally back to Kodiak and didnt see a deer period,couldn't even settle for a doe. After the first blow sunday all through the evening, weather was great, rubs were everywhere, could see tracks leading right to them from saturday's snow. Never have hunted these deer in the rut before so it was cool seeing. Long story short, didnt see a deer in 4 days, saw new bear sign every day, which i dont ever remember seeing back when i was there before. Heard from a pilot on sunday that he flew over saturday and saw deer everywhere. I made it as cheap as possible getting over there and the hunt ended that way - get what you pay for. I've heard that sitkinak was pretty good, but ****, thats incredible. Was that price per person or total for three or 4 people? Anyone know if you can hit the ATV trails as soon as you get off the ferry in PORT LIONS? I heard that the hunting was pretty good there, just wondering if you have to take a truck out there to get the atv's where you need to go. cya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast