Thread: Dear Fortymile Caribou Hunter ... letter from ADF&G

Default Dear Fortymile Caribou Hunter ... letter from ADF&G

Just an FYI I (and probably others around here) got this email yesterday but figured I'd post it for those who may not have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Fortymile Caribou Hunter,

The winter State of Alaska hunting season for Fortymile Caribou is cancelled this year, and we wanted to make sure you got the word. (Please forward this email to other hunters who may be interested.)

The herdís harvest quota for the entire year was unexpectedly reached and exceeded in a short three-day season in August. We follow radiocollars in the herd and conduct visual searches, but canít always predict how fast the harvest will progress.

This yearís harvest does not cause long term concerns for the herd. The harvest management plan developed by state, federal and Canadian agencies, five local Advisory Committees and Regional Councils sets hunting quotas and allows adjustments if quotas are unexpectedly exceeded. The plan provides options to offset overharvest in one hunt by changing later hunts. The quotas are very conservative so herd growth can be maintained.

After the August season was closed, ADF&G staff followed the plan directives and met with the federal subsistence hunt manager and representatives of the five advisory committees and regional councils to discuss options available. ADF&G considered recommendations and agreed to a) cancel the winter season, b) reduce next yearís (2010-2011) quota to help compensate for exceeding the harvest near the Taylor and Steese Highways this year (2009), and c) leave the season open in the central roadless part of the hunt area (Zone 2), where harvest was much slower. The stateís fall season in that area closed September 18, 2009.

In addition, the federal subsistence hunt manager closed the fall federal subsistence season, in order to allow the winter federal subsistence season to proceed.

Harvest of Fortymile caribou is regulated by registration permit, which requires a hunter to report taking a caribou within three days. The hunt is closed when the harvest quota is achieved. This system works very well when caribou are widely dispersed or are relatively hard to find, but when caribou group together along major highways, harvest progresses very rapidly and hunt managers have insufficient time to respond.

Advisory Committee members and ADF&G and federal staff are now evaluating this yearís harvest and will propose changes to hunting regulations needed to slow down the harvest in future years. Proposals will be submitted to the Board of Game by the December 4 deadline and will be considered at the spring Board meeting in Fairbanks February 26-March 7.

Hunters are encouraged to call the Fortymile Hotline at (907) 267-2310 for additional information about the hunting season.

Hunters with questions about the federal subsistence hunt should call (800) 478-1456.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thanks for posting that Snyd... that has been a large part of every AC discussion the last two months. though there are no set in stone plans as of yet to slow the harvest there is a plethora of ideas... this next fall will be the most susceptible to ideas as it is to late to modify to wards any draw or other ideas...

there is talk of access restrictions.

bull only harvest

drawing requirements for a small portion

season opening delays

ATV access

and road closures

as well as weapons restricted hunt for a partial part of the month..

every idea they are trying to form... is to allow the herd time to spread out .. and not go over the harvest quota...

it will be a very interesting season. this year.

the next Fairbanks AC meeting is December 9th. come participate..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks!
    Myself and another on this board are looking at a caribou hunt next year utilizing this herd, probably near where you went last year(same transporter). I am nearly ignorant of the herd but my friend has hunted the area several times. It appears that, if we go before the middle of September we should be alright, is that the gist?
    Thanks again

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Thanks!
    Myself and another on this board are looking at a caribou hunt next year utilizing this herd, probably near where you went last year(same transporter). I am nearly ignorant of the herd but my friend has hunted the area several times. It appears that, if we go before the middle of September we should be alright, is that the gist?
    Thanks again

if you so the fly in section of Zone 2(?) of the three zones the Taylor and the Steece are the ones they talk of being affected by changes..

the good pasture and upper salcha zone fly in are to remain the same at this point... but i am a guy in the audience still so can only report what they say in front of us...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

hey mods!!! HOW ABOUT... this one get merged with bear busters and tossed into the managment forum

meet on face book here