Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust's Flying Service for 2010 Caribou

Default Rust's Flying Service for 2010 Caribou

Anyone here have any recent, first hand experience using Rust's Flying Service for a caribou hunt. Looking for some info specific to his operation and the areas he hunts for caribou. It looks like this might be a economical option for a fly out hunt. Any suggestions as to when would be a good time frame (date/week) for this trip in this area? Thanks...

Frank

I've done some searching and think I found some answers, but interested to hear what others have to say.

With the crash of the Mulchatna caribou herd, nobody flying out of Anchorage (like Rusts) are having very good success anymore.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up Foreign Tourists....

Rust's Flying Service provides absolutely great services for foreign eco-tourists who want to view Knik Glacier.

Default Consider another area

AK Doug hit the nail right on the head. The mulchatna caribou herd is way down right now.
    I'd consider another area like a hunt on the north slope east of the Haul Road (try Arrowhead Outfitters for fly in service there). You might also look into a western arctic herd hunt out of the Kotzebue area.
    The cost for these hunts is higher but you will get your caribou.

I highly suggest Rust's for guys who come in with their first post asking for the ultimate moose/boo/black bear combo hunt. For others I would look closely at Bettles or Coldfoot for caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I highly suggest Rust's for guys who come in with their first post asking for the ultimate moose/boo/black bear combo hunt. For others I would look closely at Bettles or Coldfoot for caribou.

thats funny... ya'll have such a creative way of saying the obvious..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

You all are confirming what I had suspected. Would this apply to anyone providing mulchatna herd hunts. I've found post indicating good things for Alaska west air, but this is also a mulchatna herd hunt.

What would people recommend for the most economical fly out hunt with good odds. I've heard some iffy reviews of kotzebue based hunts. Thanks again.

Default Wach

I'd recommend a hunt out of Kotz. I've always had good luck and we always seen a lot of animals.

Unfortunately, the terms "econmical" and "fly out" don't generally go together. It's just a reality of flying in Alaska - it is usually going to be expensive. While I'm sure there have been a handful of iffy reports on Kotzebue, the great majority that I have read have spoken of great animal numbers and quality. The same can be said of Bettles. I would bet, however, that you could get a shorter, less expensive flight out of Happy Valley on the Dalton Highway (Haul Road). I haven't done it myself, but if you get a carrier to fly you only 5-10 miles off the road you should get into good hunting and relatively sparse crowds. You'd have to drive yourself up there, but the flight would likely be less expensive.

Default Caribou Hunt

Hey Frankie,

I see you're from Michigan, forget Alaska head to Quebec caribou hunting. I live in Alaska, grew up in Michigan been hunting both areas for caribou. Quebec was better overall than AK for #'s and comfort.

If you really want to come to alaska caribou hunting hunt the Kotzebue area, back to 2 caribou again this year I was told for non-res.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Unfortunately, the terms "econmical" and "fly out" don't generally go together. It's just a reality of flying in Alaska - it is usually going to be expensive. While I'm sure there have been a handful of iffy reports on Kotzebue, the great majority that I have read have spoken of great animal numbers and quality. The same can be said of Bettles. I would bet, however, that you could get a shorter, less expensive flight out of Happy Valley on the Dalton Highway (Haul Road). I haven't done it myself, but if you get a carrier to fly you only 5-10 miles off the road you should get into good hunting and relatively sparse crowds. You'd have to drive yourself up there, but the flight would likely be less expensive.
    I dont know about hapy valley.. but to compair. the last time i asked caribou in coldfoot they quoted me 1750 per hunter. and 200 per hour cub time..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I dont know about hapy valley.. but to compair. the last time i asked caribou in coldfoot they quoted me 1750 per hunter. and 200 per hour cub time..
    Since the caribou are walking right through Happy Valley in September, I figured you could get a much shorter flight to the animals than out of Coldfoot. Again though, I haven't done this personally.

I'm not aware of anyone doing short hops out of Happy Valley. I asked around two years ago and they all wanted to sell packages..not telling where you would be going because the 'bou moved. Most were in the $1500 per person range.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Happy Valley

The cheap hunt out of Happy valley is getting hammered these days, there are at least 4 charters dumping hunters all over. You will see other camps from your tent in every direction. Thats not to say you wont harvest animals, but you will have lots of company You will need to get farther east or west well outside the corridor to leave the crowds behind. Be careful using Arrowhead outfitters, thats all Im going to say on that subject.

From what I've heard over the last handful of years, the Mulchatna herd is going to be spotty hunting no matter who you fly with.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    From what I've heard over the last handful of years, the Mulchatna herd is going to be spotty hunting no matter who you fly with.
    I spoke to a number of outfitters last year - the Mulchatna ones with the best reputations were refusing to accept clients.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Rust's Flying Service provides absolutely great services for foreign eco-tourists who want to view Knik Glacier.
    That's funny stuff right there.

Another good view is when you fly into Anchorage from the east and come in over Big Lake for a rwy 14 landing on any commercial carrier. They don't even charge extra for that.

Of course if they're landing on rwy 7 and you fly up the arm you can see Dall Sheep on the right side.

All BS aside, I generally hunt 17B with my brother. Last year we didn't see any bou on our flight over to our happy moose spot.

Exclamation

If youíre coming from Michigan why donít you simply fly to ADAK Island (preferable with airline miles) and hunt caribou there. Limit is 2 bulls or unlimited cows. About a $25 native land use fee, contact the Aleut Corporation for info. Challenge will be in paying for the freight. Rent 4 wheelers and lodging package for under $2,000. Or, stay in an abandoned hut and save the lodging.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Mulchatna Hunt is based on miracles

Not trying to beat a dead horse--but the Mulchatna herd in southwest Alaska is not worth spending any energy on. I lived in Dillingham for six years in the early 2000's and the herd was reducing then. Today it would take a miracle to find a nice bull caribou on a standard five-day hunt. I hunted moose/brown bear there in September 09, and while I did happen upon a nice bull a few turns up the Mulchatna River no one was more surprised then me (and the bull).

When we returned to Ekwok and called for a pickup truck at the ramp over the VHF, people didn't believe us. When the word got out by the folks in New Styuahok who had observed us crusing-by with the rack in the bow of the skiff that a decent bull had been taken; half the village showed-up at the landing to see it. Locals, outfitters and guides all have said the opportunity has passed and are hoping for a population rebound in the next decade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast