Thread: Caribou hunt advice please

Smile Caribou hunt advice please

I have only been in Alaska since April so am not very knowledgeable of the ins and outs of Caribou hunting. My son has wanted to go on a Caribou hunt since he first started hunting and will be coming up. I want to make sure he has a great trip so could any of you give me some advice on which month, where, drop hunt guides etc. I live in Barrow but will travel elsewhere. Thank you very much in advance.

Dave - New to Alaska and you live in Barrow? Man, you jumped in with both feet first, didn't you? I can't even imagine a move like that!

The absolute best thing you can do is to spend hours looking through the old archives. Volumes have been written on caribou hunting here over the years - far more than could be covered in this single thread. There are hunt stories, posts about outfitters and areas, and more out there that have been shared by our members. After a few hours of reading you'll probably start to get a pretty good idea of the best options. Then start posting your specific questions and you'll probably get better responses.

Good luck to you!

-Brian

Thank you Brian.

Get Hunt Alaska Now by Dennis coffer and also Caribou Hunting by Barlett
    And lastley go through the archives here and you should come up with go info.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Barrow??

Wow man It takes a real man to move to Barrow. Itís a bummer that all of your summer Boo are on our side of the Brooks this time of year.

Best adviceÖ read a lot, find a local and learn. The local folks up here are very willing to take on a green horn as long as you show real interest in the native way. Spend as much time in the country observing and traveling as possible. Nature is a **** fine teacher but some times she slaps you up side the head.

Good luck and enjoy the slope!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Itís a bummer that all of your summer Boo are on our side of the Brooks this time of year.
    You sure about that, Walt?

Might want to ask around Dave. Might be some bou hunting around Barrow. Got a snogo?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Barrow Caribou

They're there, just not in great numbers in the dead of winter. I grew up in Barrow (Class of 89) and hunted a few times in the winter for bou as a kid. Real easy to get lost up there, everythings so flat. Hunting is real tuff when its -30 and zero daylight.

Matter of fact, I was there last winter for a business trip and there were caribou in town, they looked pretty skinny though.

Go to the Northwest Arctic Region ( GMU 23) and hunt the same caribou in the fall time. Best time to hunt em is Mid to Late September, sometimes they come earlier and sometimes they come later. There's a few local outfitters there that do drop offs, you need to start planning early cause its a busy place during that time of the year.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

Welcome to BArrow!!! Enjoy the experience, you'll never forget a place like that.

Andy aka Arctic Hunter