Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saffron-Habanero-Lime Butter Sauce Recipe

Arrow Saffron-Habanero-Lime Butter Sauce Recipe

Salmon with Saffron-Habanero-Lime Butter Sauce

Butter sauces have a reputation as difficult to make, easy to spoil, and prone to separation (breaking) but this basic recipe avoids all of those pitfalls by never actually mixing heat and butter until actual serving time. This bright orange butter sauce gives the plate both rich color and a complex blend of tastes that combine with trout quite well.

Also, the no-heat finish to the sauce makes this recipe portable enough to take camping to use on just-caught fish, for a lavish presentation with little to-do in the field.

If you can make a Beurre Blanc sauce this recipe will be very easy and follows close to the same procedure during the first part – making the reduction; and the second part is far easier and safer than a Beurre Blanc's, unless you try the advanced method at the bottom.

2/3 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
    2 tbsp minced shallots
    2 deseeded/minced habanero peppers (2 tbsp)

1.5 tbsp heavy cream
    2 pinches Spanish Saffron threads
    1 1/2 sticks butter (3/8 of a pound) at room temperature
    Dash of salt
    Juice from one lime

3 pounds wild Alaskan Salmon fillets, deboned and skinless.
    3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and coarse ground pepper

Capers
    ---

Making the sauce:

First part: Make the reduction
    Saffron is the most expensive seasoning in the world, but don't slight the amount you use and use saffron threads not powder. 2 pinches means 2 good solid pinches, yet each pinch is only contained by your thumb and forefinger. Soak Saffron threads in just enough water to cover them – no more - in a little shot glass. Set aside.

Never neglect to wear disposable gloves when touching the habaneros with your bare hands; if you make this mistake once you won't make it twice. Mince them very very fine.

Bring wine, shallots and habaneros to a rolling boil in a small sauce pan and reduce, to become only 2 - 3 tbsp of liquid. Strain and press solids in fine wire strainer, saving the liquid, discarding the solids. Let your liquid reduction cool most all the way to room temperature.

In a mixing bowl whisk the heavy cream into your reduction quite completely to stabilize the liquid into into a texture that will bond with butter. Pour in the shot glass of saffron, stirring continuously; watch it turn into a beautiful orange. Lastly, whisk in the butter completely then add Ύ of your lime juice and a dash of salt. Taste and whisk in more lime juice until the lime taste matches the saffron taste in volume (while the habanero and butter tastes are also right there too).

I make a 6x batch and my next step is to pour it into little tupperwares; freeze some and keep a couple in the fridge so I always have it on hand; let it thaw to room temperature (from the fridge) naturally (vs. applying heat) and you'll have no loss on what you don't use.

The Salmon:
    Rinse, dry, then dust the salmon with salt and pepper and pan fry at medium heat in 3 tbsp olive oil 3 to 5 minutes per-side, per-inch of thickness and just until a fork inserted and twisted flakes the meat instead of squishes. Don't overcook it!

Slightly heat the butter sauce while stirring constantly – just enough to be a liquid. Divide the salmon fillets into 4 servings & cover each serving with the Saffron-Habanero-Lime Butter. Top it with capers and serve.

More advanced method: If you're serving the butter sauce immediately and are talented enough to make a Beurre Blanc without breaking it, try this method instead, starting just after making the reduction:

Gently heat your reduction on low while vigorously whisking in the heavy cream. Pour in the shot glass of saffron, stirring continuously; watch it turn into a beautiful orange.
    Add the butter a few tablespoons of butter at a time, whisking vigorously while off the heat half the time. Whisk it more than you melt it. Add dash of salt. When its all of the same consistency with no butter chunks, heat it just a touch until you see it become more golden colored, but too much heat and you'll break the sauce so be careful. Never stop whisking. Quickly and without heat stir in most of the lime juice, taste, keep adding until the lime balances the saffron.

This more advanced method involves more time, skill and danger to breaking the sauce, and keeps not so well – but it has a deeper color and flavor both.

This recipe was published for the very first time on Thanksgiving Day 2009 here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...14&postcount=1 by its original author who requests that you do not copy/paste it elsewhere. Feel free to link to it or to make personal use of this recipe.

I couldn't think of a better Thanksgiving gift!

Thank you and have a very Happy Thanksgiving, Steve!

Very nice. I will give this a try Saturday or Sunday.

If i could cook, Id be all over this Steve..lol .. but it sounds really good.. I saw habanero and started drooling..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Post thanks

Thanks for appreciating. Those I see in person: I do share; just let me know.

I'm kind of burnt out on further developing the butter recipes right now - I've honed my two habanero butters for the past year and am now leaning towards a nut-butter (hazelnut or pistachio) and also some white sauces... Exploring is good.

Please let me know if you make a nice improvement or different derivative recipe from mine; I love taking a recipe through the "what tastes better" maze...

But if I were to continue to make changes to my habanero butter recipes it would probably be to add zest - I'd separately try each of lemon, lime, and orange.

Happy Thanksgiving and good-cooking to all!

Hey Steve,

You know all about this but nothing about roasted garlic!!

I make this tonight and it was quite good. I think I will use a little more saffron next time and maybe some lime zest. Maybe a little more heat also. I may try a little flour at the beginning to thicken the sauce up some. Very nice color and flavor.

I had a beet salad with toasted pecans, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar on hand that I served with the salmon. Sort of an odd side for salmon, but it was good.

Thumbs up thats great

That's great; I'm glad it worked out for you and sounds like you plan another go at it with some changes. That's exactly how I cook too; every time; then I make changes....

Yes on the more-saffron; it should look very very rich. At safeway here its either 12 or 19 bucks for a little white envelope inside the McCormicks spice bottle (over a thousand bucks an ounce), or you can score an ounce here for $150 - that's what I do. If you place an order there, PM me first and I'll send you a short list of come custom blend spices they make/sell there that your cupboard should not be without. You'll use saffron in paella and elsewhere, once you have a bit onhand.

Yes on the zest; I think that'll give it another set-off taste that will complement all others perfectly.

I love the flour idea. Let me know how that goes please.

I know of no other person other than me to have made this recipe before so its great to hear feedback - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I make this tonight and it was quite good. I think I will use a little more saffron next time and maybe some lime zest. Maybe a little more heat also. I may try a little flour at the beginning to thicken the sauce up some. Very nice color and flavor.

I had a beet salad with toasted pecans, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar on hand that I served with the salmon. Sort of an odd side for salmon, but it was good.

Is this the same stuff we had down at Fishapalooza? I know it is similar, but wasn't sure if you had a few variations. That stuff you had me taste was amazing!! Time consuming and tedious, but dang it man, that puts a special taste in your mouth

When reading this, PM me some spice suggestions from the above site you mentioned. Looks awesome, but a bit cultured for me. I do my best cooking in the yard (or river bank). I could use some input before placing an order.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That's great; I'm glad it worked out for you and sounds like you plan another go at it with some changes. That's exactly how I cook too; every time; then I make changes....

Yes on the more-saffron; it should look very very rich. At safeway here its either 12 or 19 bucks for a little white envelope inside the McCormicks spice bottle (over a thousand bucks an ounce), or you can score an ounce here for $150 - that's what I do. If you place an order there, PM me first and I'll send you a short list of come custom blend spices they make/sell there that your cupboard should not be without. You'll use saffron in paella and elsewhere, once you have a bit onhand.

Yes on the zest; I think that'll give it another set-off taste that will complement all others perfectly.

I love the flour idea. Let me know how that goes please.

I know of no other person other than me to have made this recipe before so its great to hear feedback - thanks!

Thanks for the tip on Spicehouse. Will definitely let you know when I am ready to do an order. I've been cooking too much moose lately to try the safron-habanero-lime butter again, but I think next time I may serve it over some pan seared jumbo Aleutian scallops.

Did a great moose steak braised in beer served over spaetzle last night washed down with Bitburger!

As long as I am putting good wild game dishes on the table my wife keeps endorsing my hunting trips!

Default saffron sauce, and spicehouse.com recommendations

Dan,

Yes, that is the exact same sauce, except I improved its shelf-life with the quickee method indicated in the recipe. I'd have shared the recipe before now, except that would have disqualified me from the Alaskan Fish recipe contest I entered (I didn't win ).

Dan, Chisana,

I'll put my spicehouse.com favorites here because of more than one request. I've not been disappointed with anything I've ordered from them, but below are my favorites; some with a couple word description. Also you'll see that their spices are extremely inexpensive when ordered when ordered without the shaker, and not bad even when you do a shaker:

- Back-of-the-Yards: garlic+
    - Ruth-Ann's Muskego Avenue: salt+
    - Quebec Beef Spice
    - English Prime Rib Rub: good on any beef
    - Lake Shore Drive: don't miss this one; its a "happy tasting spice"
    - Pepper Tarragon
    - Bavarian Style
    - Argyle Street Asian: spicy sesame seed spice good on any chicken/fish

If others find great ones there please PM me or post here. I'm always looking for more and better spices.

Thanks man. Did you get the PM the other day? Curious about the dates in March.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Saffron/habanero salmon recipe to help to wounded soldiers?

Member ret25yo emailed me today to let me know that he is aware of an operation to put out a book of wild game recipes that will be sold to benefit wounded soldiers.

Of course I provided him with this recipe from this thread (in word processor format) with permission to republish it for this use.

Feel free to use this thread to communicate other/more recipes that might help those who were injured defending us all. Its likely the people he is helping can use more recipes than the one I gave him tonight.

My opinion --> (and I borrow some of these exact words): I believe we all should stand behind our troops regardless of what our personal feelings are about the war - - - or we should stand in front of them.

I worked over 2 years perfecting this recipe (that I posted on this forum, and shared the bounty in person with a number of members here) starting from from scratch (except for a beurre blanc, which I widely diverged from). Sad to see this thread resurrected merely because some dumb spammer chose it to sell their crap on. Ouch.

[QUOTE=aZoTGwFg;990991]To discover how to mint bitcoin, check out the*link removed* tutorial.

*Snicker*

Apparently it is best served with spam....
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-15-2011 at 14:38. Reason: link to spam site removed
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Thanks for the feedback.... OK, not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    *Snicker*

Apparently it is best served with spam....
    Hipster, you can always be counted upon for a positive post on THIS board....... NOT.

But, seriously, thanks for being so dependably consistent; you do constantly let everyone that knows how to read, to know you.

Back to the recipe, if you ever want to spend a few hours making a half-tricky recipe for a nicely flavored butter sauce that you can take afield and dependably spoil those that you share it with, give this recipe a try. I gave it freely to all here, including you, after honing this recipe continually for a couple of years.

The latest update on the quickee method that my recipe describes is that it will store nicely in the freezer in tupperware for over a year. When I make it, I make about 1.5 years worth now, and it does not go bad between makings. It goes really great over salmon, and pretty darned good over jambalaya/biscuits, as a few people on this forum do know.

Thanks for the recipe FamilyMan. I have a favorite Wasabi Butter Sauce that is made using your more advanced method but it does break easily and separates when it's stored. I may have to try and make it using your simpler method and see if it will store better that way. It'd be great to keep some in the freezer. I'll have to try your recipe too as it sounds really nice as well.

Not that I like to see spam in threads but at least it resurrected this topic for me to notice as I missed it the 1st time you posted it.

Default Let me know

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Thanks for the recipe FamilyMan. I have a favorite Wasabi Butter Sauce that is made using your more advanced method but it does break easily and separates when it's stored. I may have to try and make it using your simpler method and see if it will store better that way. It'd be great to keep some in the freezer. I'll have to try your recipe too as it sounds really nice as well.

Not that I like to see spam in threads but at least it resurrected this topic for me to notice as I missed it the 1st time you posted it.
    I'd love to know if the quickee method I describe works for yours too. If so (or even if not) I'd love to get your wasabi/butter recipe. If you PM me I'll take it to my grave, or if you care to post it, lots of others might enjoy it too. Either way, thanks.

You ain't taking crap to the grave. I want to know!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast