Thread: Super Moose hunt

Default Super Moose hunt

Took a while to write this story never did it before.
    I was lucky enough to win a 768 any moose permit for unit 20A. Super excited by the chance to get out. My friend and I headed out to the area we scouted a few weeks earlier. We set up 2 different stands on 2 different clearings.
    Opening day called and called didnt see anything. I found some fresh moose sign, but no moose.
    The next morning I still didnt hear or see a moose, however my buddy called in a nice sub legal 45 incher.
    The 3rd morning in my stand prooved to be more of the same. Nothing. I thought about moving but decided to stick it out. That evening my hunting partner saw 2 huge legal moose approx 1 1/2 miles away, and again daylight faded into night and we had to leave the next morning to go to work but decided to let the weather cool and try our luck in the same area in a few weeks.
    18 Sep we set out again to try our luck. We were pretty optimistic considering what we seen weeks before.
    First morning in my stand I heard a cow bellowing and it sent excitment flying through my body. I did some calls and then I heard a bull grunt to my right, he grunted only in 2 grunt series for approx 1-2 hours then silence. We went back to camp ate and relaxed then headed out for the evening hunt. The same results a grunt here and there but couldnt see him. fustration started to set in. My buddy didnt see anything but heard the same grunts I did.
    This went on for another day sort of a cat and mouse. That night my buddy seen a moose a small 35 incher walking away from him approx 900 yards away. He let out a grunt and that bull turned and ran right at him and within 15 minutes was within 100 yards.
    The next morning we headed into our stands. Now I have been sitting in my stand for about 7 days and havent seen moose one. I settled into my stand and approx 300 yards to my direct front I seen 2 huge dark objects ( was still a bit dark). I had to look twice and jackpot a moose 2 cows. I was like okay theres got to be a bull there and I watched them and called for 4 hours as they walked to the otherside of the clearing into the timber. I was bummed, but hey I finally seen a moose from my stand. I was super excited just to see one and watch them. Well mid day we decided to head back to camp and eat. While at camp I grabbed my bull magnet and rifle and decided to walk behind camp in the timber. (That stretch of woods leaded to where I seen the moose that morning. It was about 1/2 mile from camp). I walk slowly calling as I went and noticed some fresh moose tracks and then a rub and another rub and finally a 3rd rub with tracks all over leading into a swampy mess.
    I decided to do some calling, after about 20 minutes I here a bull grunt from the swamp. I heard him walking and rubbing trees and thought oh yeah here he comes. I set up waiting looking and listening called a few more times and nothing. I decided to fill my bull magnet with water and tried to imitate a cow urinating, as soon as my bull magnet was empty. I heard a bull grunt over my left shoulder. I looked into the woods and I seen antlers walking toward me. He was grunting with every step. Oh i was excited I have never called in a moose like this in my 12 years of living here. He was grunting, even thrashed a tree and then headed into the swamp. I wanted to run to the swamp edge but decided to give one more grunt and that is all I needed. He turned and walked right to me and stood broadside at 22 yards plus he was on the highground. Jackpot i thought to myself and pulled the trigger. BOOM he lifted his front leg and stood there. All I thought was oh man, I dont want him to run into the swamp. So I shot again and he started walking into the swamp. I shot him a 3rd and 4th time and finally he fell. SPLASH. I had my 2 way radio on me and imediately called my buddy and headed back to camp. He asked me if the moose was in water and I told him half in, he said good.
    Well he was all the way in the water, and half of him was showing my buddy saw that and he shouted, hey ! I thought you said he was half in the water. I said yeah he is you can see half the moose the other half was under water. We had a laugh, used a come along to getit out of the swamp. 2009 moose.jpg

loaded boat.jpgIt was 1 pm when we started dressing the moose and hiked it back to camp complete at 1 am. Tough work but goodtimes with good friends make for an everlasting memory. The moose ended up being 37 inches not a huge one but a thrilling hunt and a full freezer of meat to feed friends and family.

Thumbs up

Nice job on your moose hunt! Way to stick with plan and make it work for you.

Great to see your perseverence paid off. Those long hours in the stand, when you keep thinking, "Maybe I should move...."

Nice moose!

- Jay

Great story and moose thank you for sharing. I like your optimism when the moose was only "half" way in the water.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Man I love reading stories like this. Awesome job and Congratulations!

Great job. Calling is always exciting.
    Dan

Congratulations on the bull! It's like turkey hunting... But MO' Better!

Taylor

Default nice

thank for the story and congrats. You really had me laughing with the water comment.