Thread: Ruger M77 Internationl ?'s

Default Ruger M77 Internationl ?'s

So,
    I'm looking for a compact bolt action in 30.06 with irons and this seems to fit the bill, except for that pretty wood. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a darn nice looking rifle, but I'm afraid of beating up that stock and having it warp due to my coastal hunting.
    Does anyone have experience with these? Can I put a synthetic stock for a M77 LA on it, or does the muzzle cap deal get in the way? I haven't seen one of these up close yet.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

Looking at my wife's 30-06 RSI, I believe these guns either share a barrel contour or are very close to the contour of the Ruger Ultra-Lights and Compacts. So you have the option of either the synthetic UL stock or the shorter laminated Compact stock as a bolt on option. Any way you do it, the muzzle cap in a non-issue, since it only attaches to the wood. You could also remove stock hardware and use a standard stock, but you would have a large gap around the barrel and it would look out of proportion.

There have been a few special runs of the RSI in stainless, which would be great for the coastal hunting. I've seen them in 6.5x55 and .257 Roberts for sure.

We haven't had any issues with the stock warping and causing problems, but I could see how it could happen. They are very handy guns with near perfect balance for me. Unfortunately, she only lets me shoot it at the range once in a while....

Yk

Default great aftermarket stock

I have a Ruger M77 Mark 2 7mm, though I like the nice wood finish it was starting to get beat up a bit taking it on trips in the mountains and near the coast. I am in the Army and we have purchased alot of aftermarket stocks. The best in my opinion is the Hogue rifle stock. I purchased mine through Cabelas and it made a world of difference. The recoil is far less than the wood stock; the rubberized stock is extremely durable and in the wet/foggy conditions it is easy to hold on to and grip it tightly. Here are the links:

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...811&id=0003631

ak_sledneck,
    That was exactly what I wanted to put on it... the Hogue. I have them on a couple of 10/22's and really like them.

Yellowknife,
    Do you and your wife shoot 180gr or heavier through yours? I'm wondering how the shorter barrel effects the heavier bullets. I'm also wondering if this is the right rifle or should I just buy a stainless ultralight and have a smith put on some rifle sights. I'm trying to keep the cost under a $1,000.00.
    I'm trying to achieve a open sighted/peep sighted, 30.06, easily carried, bolt action for my woods and coastal trampings where I have enough gun to deter bears and or plug a moose/caribou/sheep within 200yds. I want it to be compact and durable.

Maybe I should create another post with my requirements and see what folks come up with?

Mountaintrekker

I typically shoot 180 gr bullets though the little rifle. I've never clocked them, but haven't noticed any difference at the range or in the field.

I'd say you would be money ahead buying a stainless UL and just having sights added. Should be able to do that for well under a $1000.

Those UL's are very nice carrying guns. I'd love to have one.

Yk