Thread: Back from my first trip to Kodiak

Default Back from my first trip to Kodiak

As I like to see new places and have been deer hunting practically from birth, I was elated to learn that I would be going to Kodiak on a deer hunt. I had many near misses and almost had to cancel the trip a couple of times but in the end I finally ended up getting me and a buddy of mine airline tickets so there was no backing out for either of us, so off we went last Wednesday.

The first thing I noticed when we arrived was how beautiful Kodiak is, I cant wait to see it in the summer sometime. We walked across to the air service that would be taking us to some other freinds' place where we would stay and ended up getting an early flight to the other end of the island, giving us time to see more of it in the daylight.

Second day we were there we rousted out of bed early for breakfast and then hustled down to the boat and were soon chugging out to our hunting area. I got dropped off to go after a buck that I saw up on a hillside chasing after a few does, while my buddy headed around to hunt one of his old favorite spots. When I got up a little ways I looked up and there was the buck I had spotted earlier almost straight above me on the steep hilside standing on top of a cliff looking down at me. I shouldered my rifle and let drive at him hearing a satisfying thump when the 350gr bullet from my 458 landed. He hunched and took off into the tall grass up the hill and out of sight. I was sure from the sight picture and sound at impact that the shot was a good one and I began to get really excited, just like shooting my first buck again,( I guess it kinda was a first buck in the respect that I had never before laid eyes on a blacktail before this trip).

So here is the interesting part, I head up to look for blood and in my excited haste, I decide to scale the cliff he was above instead of going 250yds around. Well that turned out to be a very stupid move, and nearly very costly. When I reached the top of the 30ft face I grabbed a big rock to pull myself over the top and when I put all my weight against it, the rock let go, taking me to the bottom with it. I distinctly remember the 5 minute (or so it seemed) fall, and bouncing three times. When I got myself upright I had a large puncture in my wrist that was bleeding rather badly, a hole in the top of my head that somehow didn't punch through the Stormy Kromer hat I was still wearing, cuts on my right leg, and a badly sprained left knee.

After drinking some water and regaining my wits I took the long way up and found my buck, dead as could be 25ft from where I shot him.

Gotta go now, more details a little later.

Great start to the story, Kid! How are you healing up? Any lasting damage, or just a few bumps and bruises? Sounds like that will be some sweet tasting meat, as you obviously paid for it. We'd love to see some pictures when you get the chance.

Ouch!!! Hopefully some turkey with nurse you back to health. I hope you're alright!

Brett

Thanks for putting that story up. Lets people know that we still have to think safety while doing what we love. My good friend Eric Sawchuck was killed when he fell from a cliff while hunting Goats in Hawaii last year. stay safe Happy Hunting
    Aloha Steve

Default I like it!

Sounds like you took a couple of good shots and kept on going! You may have a future in Sheep and Goat hunting.........lol!
    Glad to see you and the deer made it out. Now! Where's the pictures :-)

Louis

Default funny

Louis.....it's that the truth! Bounce , slide, trip......as long as it's forward progress it's all good.

I hope your alright kid.

Default The rest of the story

So after takingsome pictures of my buck and doing the one handed feild dress, I radioed my partners to meet me at the beach to pick me up. As I was dragging the buck back down they showed up and guided me to an ice chute that led down to the beach which I promptly slid the deer down. I followed him to the bottom by sliding the chute on my rear end and was soon on the beach. We loaded the deer onto the boat, where to my suprise, me partner had an even larger buck laying on the deck.

After getting back and taking care of the deer we looked me over and decided I would probably survive with an ample dose of rest for the next few days. So we pretty much just sat around the house doing some chores here and there for the remainder of our stay and only went hunting one more time and that was the last day. We could have taken more bucks on the last day of our hunt, but decided not too on account of the really nice deer we had already harvested.

It was kinda comical to me to see the way everyone got worked up over the size of our deer, they didn't look too big to me being a born and bred whitetail hunter from the land of small bodies and huge racks, but they tell me we harvested some very respectable trophies. My buddies buck green scores about 105 B&C and he guessed mine somewhere in the low 90s, not too impressive when your used to 150 and 160 inch whitetails but cool none the less.

I have been butchering for the past few days since my return and eating as I cut, I must say the Sitka Blacktails are really fine table fare. Very mild flavor and tender to boot.Even growing up eating deer and elk from farm country, I must say I am impressed.

I had a great time and can't wait to return. Kodiak is just one more of the magical places Alaska has to offer that I have discovered in my time here. As soon as this wrist heals up I am sure I will be chomping at the bit to go back and chase those stocky little bucks on those steep hillsides.

If someone could walk me through how to post pics I would love to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post

If someone could walk me through how to post pics I would love to give it a shot.
    Check out the Forum Tips section. There are a couple of threads in there that explain the options.

Default Another one of Life's oops moments.

Congrats on the deer and that will be a tale for the rest of your life. I look forward to seeing some of the pics.

Happy Thanksgiving

Default Pics Maybe

Mine is the one on the hillside, and the big hairy guy on the boat is my pal Hans with his buck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A couple more

Here is two more to finish up my story.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good story, glad you made it out ok. Congrats

Default good bucks

You guys are changing my mind.....maybe Kodiak is a contender for the nicest Sitka Bucks. Although I know first hand there are sleeper locations that nobody talks about that hold great Sitka too. Those outfitted Kodiak trips are looking nice.

Default great story

Just another great example of how Alaska can kill. Glad that god was looking out for you and that it turned out to be minor. Those are some wonderful trophies to be sure. Was it an outfitted hunt? What did the trip run if you don't mind me asking?

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Good story kid, congratulations on your deer. Hope you're healing up all right.

Thumbs up

Great story and nice looking bucks you all got there Kid! Nothing like a few bruises and scrapes to remind us that we are mortal.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

We were just staying with some friends who have a boat and were happy to take us out and drop us when they weren't working.

I thank the Lord it was only minor injuries, but the ice auger was rough on the bad wrist today.