Thread: Just heard??

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Just heard??

world extreme skier Shane McCongkey (sp?) died recently? any one have nay info?

i used to do the snowmobile logistic for the World Extreme skiing champs in Valdez and got to know Shane he was a cool kid..

if any one runs across an OLD FREEZE magazine with him on the inside cover being towed up the Lowe river in Valdez by an unknown sled neck.. thats me and him setting a new barr... Shane was the ONLY WESC skier to make the run, though many tried.. he did over 150 yards up river while i water skipped towing him... any one can swing by the office and see one of the few pics i have left from that era of my life.....

my regards to his friends and family..

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yep, McConkey died a few months ago while base jumping. I can't say that I was all that surprised when I heard the news, especially given how he had stretched the limits of what was thought possible. The margin for error was zero in what he did, and it caught up to him.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, McConkey died a few months ago while base jumping. I can't say that I was all that surprised when I heard the news, especially given how he had stretched the limits of what was thought possible. The margin for error was zero in what he did, and it caught up to him.

Yup it woud sum that up...

LOL though he was fun on the hill thats for sure.

we put our sleds in places never thought of cause he dared us too...

ski patrol like it though .. 6 pm dark and fog.. we picked them up and hauled them down...

thanks Brian for the note...

sounds like he passed happy in doing his thing... that in the end is what matters
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

sounds like he passed happy in doing his thing... that in the end is what matters
    It matters less when you're leaving behind a wife and a kid.

hmmm do i detect a hint of chaste`?

Brian there are inherent risks in all we do..

these guys all of them lived as they were on their last days every day..

you and i may wonder at the "extreme behavior" but how is it any different then what you and i do getting in the car.

you yourself is headed out this weekend.. is there risk?

yes

and YOU KNOW what your doing so you manage that risk...

as did/do they... heck i am to be 42 this april... and NO ONE thought i would make it that far... but i am not with out my pains, injuries, and inconsistencies in personality caused my many head injuries...but

should you wander out of the house this weekend and meet your end...

we will morn your passing yet know.. you were out doing something you enjoy... rather then rotting in a hospital...

and that in the end is what matters...

once your gone your gone. your family will care for your family..you hope...

we can not live in expectant of making the next one.. really we can't... i having used to many come back to life cards; am pretty sure next time i find my self on the emergency Gurnney...i will be meeting some one new....

meet on face book here

you and i may wonder at the "extreme behavior" but how is it any different then what you and i do getting in the car.

I've spent a fair portion of my life doing what others considered less than safe. Comparing base jumping from skis in untested gear with getting in a car is a stretch.

I posted a thread on the subject the day of his passing. There was surprisingly little activity. I'm with Brian in that I slowed way down when my wife got pregnant. Hell, I don't even do any saturation diving anymore. My mom still gives me the business about cave diving and heli-skiing. Oh well, some folks are never happy.

Kids calm some of us down.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I've spent a fair portion of my life doing what others considered less than safe. Comparing base jumping from skis in untested gear with getting in a car is a stretch.

I posted a thread on the subject the day of his passing. There was surprisingly little activity. I'm with Brian in that I slowed way down when my wife got pregnant. Hell, I don't even do any saturation diving anymore. My mom still gives me the business about cave diving and heli-skiing. Oh well, some folks are never happy.

Kids calm some of us down.
    LOL Phish.. we drive that car around others right?

i am not saying the family did not suffer. but when i go i want it on my terms to... honestly i don't know if i woud have slowed.. had my body not forced me too...

any way i was remembering some good times in the past with a good( if not wild) group of folks.. to each their own..

meet on face book here

Cheers to the memories. I missed the Valdez days. It sounds like hella fun from the folks I know who were around.

Why did you get out of the snow machine business?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Cheers to the memories. I missed the Valdez days. It sounds like hella fun from the folks I know who were around.

Why did you get out of the snow machine business?

well school, family, kids,divorce #1,,,,, and it got not fun any more...

I was running an Alignment machine, all day and working on sleds all night and weekends... the only time i got to ride was to recover machines...

that and one ride broke half the ribs in my back... nearly lost 4 sled over a cliff and i moved north.. riding in the cold lost its appeal when i got back to the interior...

i guess, life got me and pointed a different direction...

meet on face book here

hmmm do i detect a hint of chaste`?

Brian there are inherent risks in all we do..
    Yes Vince, there are risks in all that we do. As a husband and a father, though, I feel the need to weigh those risks against the responsibilities that I have agreed to. I chose to become a husband. I chose to bring a child into this world. When I did that, I also chose to set aside some of my priorities. I still ski the backcountry and still take on some degree of risk when I do so, but I don't still do it alone when avalanche conditions are moderate or higher. There's a lot of things that I still do, but in all things I am much more apt to turn around and go home than I used to be. As a man, I feel like I need to place a pretty high priority on taking care of my wife and child. There are no guarantees, of course, but some degree of risk is within my control.

McConkey was amazing at what he did. He understood the risks. Sorry though, I just don't buy that crap that dying doing what you enjoy is all that matters. That's not what matters in the end. There are things far more important than just doing what you enjoy. I would have never gotten married or had a kid if I were convinced that simple enjoyment is what really matters.

Did you know that 18 years will make a huge difference in your thinking?

I will no longer go up on a steep roof. Cannot stand it.

I will no longer waste money on rollercoasters and fair rides.

I do not drive fast. I rarely go over 5 over the speed limit.

Now I have a new set of rules. These punks do not want to know what they are... It sucks to get old. It really sucks to feel old.

Default Amen

I just know that when I get hurt it takes a lot longer to heal up and I hate laying around so I try to not get hurt just because I hate being layed up and not being able to get out. Whether it is mountian biking, running, fishing, skiing or whatever... I like getting out and about.

Default Oh yeah

Don't get me wrong...at almost 39 I still love going off a 20 ft cliff with plenty of powder....I just have to not watch the Warren Miller movies too much.