Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ptarmigan pics

Default ptarmigan pics

Here's a couple pictures from last weekends ptarmigan hunt that my buddy and I went on. 17 birds total
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Awesome!

Awesome photo's and hunt DanAK23! I am hoping to get out this weekend around the Fairbanks area and see what I can find. With any luck, I may be able to find a few!

Default Cool Beans

Right on man Nice Birds
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Great job. Wow!! I started grouse this fall. I am looking forward to getting up the hillside for ptarmigan. Congrats great pics.

Rising Creek,

If you enjoyed grouse hunting, your really going to enjoy being up high, flushing ptarmigan and having the open area to wing shoot em..... Its a blast, keep us posted how you do when you get up there.

Default hey

please tell me you guys are Alaska natives... do you guys actually eat your kill? all cool man.

Quote Originally Posted by jechuck91 View Post
    please tell me you guys are Alaska natives... do you guys actually eat your kill? all cool man.

That question could only come from somone that has never eaten a
    ptarmigan.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

REALLY!! What do you do with the animals you harvest? If you donate them then thats all well and good, but please dont tell me you waste these delicious animals. I guess to each there own, but I dont see much point in breaking trail through 2ft of snow to shoot a bird I dont intend on eating. Im not trying to rile anyone up, I just didnt expect to see a question like that on here.

He must not be from Alaska. I am sure they ate what they killed as probably 99% of us do.

Cool naw man

im new to this thing... i live in togiak ak. i hunt for ptarmigans every winter. i help my family put real food on the table. not that store bought crap. i just want to make sure that a bunch of guys dont just sport hunt the birds i help put on my family's table. i am alaskan native... i hunt, kill, and eat these tasty animals: moose, caribou, seal, ptarmigan, porcupine, beaver, squirrel, and a bunch of other animals that are around my village. not bear. so dont get me wrong. just making sure. so to who ever doesn't eat your kill, up yours! lol

Default The country...

... between Manokotak and Togiak absolutely rules for ptarmigan hunting. We used to go out in the morning with shotgun and gunny sack and return in the evening with the sacks full. Valleys full of moving birds as you crest a ridge. Ptarmigan to dry, stew or roast. I miss it so much, but that is the price you pay for living on the road system.

im new to this thing... i live in togiak ak. i hunt for ptarmigans every winter. i help my family put real food on the table. not that store bought crap. i just want to make sure that a bunch of guys dont just sport hunt the birds i help put on my family's table. i am alaskan native... i hunt, kill, and eat these tasty animals: moose, caribou, seal, ptarmigan, porcupine, beaver, squirrel, and a bunch of other animals that are around my village. not bear. so dont get me wrong. just making sure. so to who ever doesn't eat your kill, up yours! lol

I would not use a shotgun for ptarmigan hunting, I have shot many a thousands of them over the years with a .22Lr rifle and will continue to do so. Wasting game is rather like defecating on your own table. Why would you even think of that?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

jechuck91.. So whats with the please tell me you guys are Alaska Natives?

Default Hey Al-

I use both .22 and shot gun for upland birds. I have ruined some meat with a bullet as well as with shot. It happens. I do not believe that a few lead BBs in some meat is comparable to taking a crap on one's table.

I don't disrespect your opinion, but everybody has one, and thousands of people every year kill and happily eat birds taken with shot instead of bullets. In fact, it is only legal to take ducks with shot.

Big Al,

I believe you've taken the wrong pill and you are having a bad reaction. Certainly now, you aren't serious about what you said are you? Hunters have been shooting birds with shotguns for centuries, and I don't ruin any of the meat for consumption because I use a shotgun. Of course, I shoot them flying, not sitting on the ground at 10 feet.

Jim

Cool yeah

like i said, im new on these forums. i just want to know if any natives go online and talk about hunting and fishing. you can use shotguns to hunt ptarmigans if you want, you just have to use the right loads. i mean... its overkill if you use 2 shot or bb shot for just one single bird. but with 6 shot and a whole flying flock passing by, thats all good. whenever i hunt them they're walking on the ground. i prefer to use a .22 because you can drive up to them close enough for a sure head shot, and a shotgun is too heavy to not worry about it falling off your sno-go when plowing through powder. so its not like i dont eat my kill... i eat my kill every time. but not if its your first kill. its a yup'ik tradition to not eat it, but to give away your first kill.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I use both .22 and shot gun for upland birds. I have ruined some meat with a bullet as well as with shot. It happens. I do not believe that a few lead BBs in some meat is comparable to taking a crap on one's table.

I don't disrespect your opinion, but everybody has one, and thousands of people every year kill and happily eat birds taken with shot instead of bullets. In fact, it is only legal to take ducks with shot.
    I have not found that kind of shotgun shells that insure head, neck shots at and affordable price as a single bullet from a rimfire as yet. Coupled with the lack of range of a single bullet as the rimfire rifle has, I wonder why anybody would want to use a shotgun?

When birds break in front of you at longer ranges than what a shotgun can reach, why would you use a shotgun?

Default As I said...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have not found that kind of shotgun shells that insure head, neck shots at and affordable price as a single bullet from a rimfire as yet. Coupled with the lack of range of a single bullet as the rimfire rifle has, I wonder why anybody would want to use a shotgun?

When birds break in front of you at longer ranges than what a shotgun can reach, why would you use a shotgun?
    ... we all have opinions, and having argued with you a bit about smoked salmon a few years ago, I would have to say that we are both set in our ways.

I seldom hunt ptarmigan anymore because they are hard to find on the peninsula due to their prime habitat being overrun by loud brapping snowmachines ( I have 4 snowmachines, so I am not an anti). But in my day I snowshoed, skiied and sno-goed for them with gusto. I would pursue them and shoot them on the ground while they were stopped between scurrying. I shot for the pot and had fun doing it and it would not (and still do not) give a flying crap whether shooting them on the ground was sporting or not. I'll leave that to the sports to debate. Also, as I mentioned before, I used both .22 and .20 ga. and never threw away meat.

You are more than welcome to your opinion. Some people won't bait bears, some people won't trap, some people won't snag in saltwater, some people won't dipnet, you name it, there are purists who look down on others for the way they harvest game. IMO, if it is legal, and the meat is eaten, then it is fine. Also, IMO, angst is better vented on people who illegally hunt (such as the deer/dog thing), or wantonly kill and blatantly waste meat (such as the Kivalina boys). But flame on if you are so inclined. As for me, I will continue to hunt spruce hen and rabbit with whichever firearm I feel like using, and will do so with good conscience and anticipation of good eating.

And to the starter of this thread, sorry I have been a willing accomplice to a major thread hijack.

Default shotgun vs rimfire

I shoot birds on the wing over dogs.... I am not good enough to shoot a rimfire at flying birds. More power to those that can. I use a shotgun (# 7 1/2 shot is plenty) and I dont shoot if they are out of range. I eat the meat and rarely do I find any wasted. I occasionally find a pellet or two, no more.
    I find that the dogs and a shotgun are more sporting than plinking birds with a rifle or handgun.... Unfortunately (big generalization here), the guys I see using rimfires are riding their snow machines right up to a flock and shooting numerous birds from the machine...most of us do not need the meat, for those that do I can see that as a plausible means of taking birds, otherwise to me that is just shooting and killing and not as sporting.
    This is not a judgment, just my choice of hunting methods. I like to see the dogs work and if I can bring home a meal, all the better.
    Last edited by Burke; 12-30-2009 at 23:10. Reason: change phrase

Default Nice snow chickens!

Lovely birds, dude! I'm jealous....way to go. There is no prettier bird, in my opinion. Great shooting; I'll bet that 17 birds in a backpack start weighing you down in two feet of snow, huh?
    Last edited by Cast&Blast; 12-31-2009 at 01:38. Reason: spelling error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast