Thread: is "harvested meat" considered your property?

Question is "harvested meat" considered your property?

given the concern with tanana valley meat and the inability to convey wanton waste, i wondered if this is a destruction of property issue.
    it seems to me when you shoot an animal, the state requires punching a tag. once you punch a tag, you have inherited responsibilites imposed by the state to take care of what is now defined as your property. so game meat becomes defined by the state of alaska as your property.
    if you take any of your property no matter what it is, anywhere for any service and they "ruin it" in the process of "fixing it" or "improving it" that business should be liable.

i should say i don't have meat at tvm and no axe to grind. i can't help wonder whats wrong however, with a system that can't figure out how to apply responsiblity for ruining someones game meat. such a sad waste.
    what do you guys think?

no dog in the fight for me but, if this was my winter meat.. i'd be pissed and definitely look to recoup the cost of the hunt and the cost of winter meat..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not sure but i had zero recourse when the other processor spoiled one of our moose two years ago.... let it go and it turned green. i made them find a musher to take it too.. as they wanted me to throw it out...

yeah.. right

i guess i should add the ONLY reason they got it to begin with was it was an august cow and the heat went over 80 the day after we shot it... it was runn our buts off to get to town to a cooler...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Sounds like

A classic case of breach of contract. Take them to small claims court - they will have to bring a lawyer since they are a business. (this is not legal advice - just what I would likely do in a similar situation) It would probably be cheaper for them to settle than defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    A classic case of breach of contract. Take them to small claims court - they will have to bring a lawyer since they are a business. (this is not legal advice - just what I would likely do in a similar situation) It would probably be cheaper for them to settle than defend.

not if its a case as large as it seems to be... class actions?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lets see the contract....?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!???????????????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

business law seems to have the idea that verbal contracts are enforceable as contracts...

therefore as a business owner .. you should never say anything you don't mean, cause it can be held against you.

Back to the original question.... if the State considers harvested meat your property. In some ways no. If you are in the field and you have to defend yourself against a bear attack you can defend your life and property. But, it's in the regs that meat is NOT considered your property. Then even after you process it you cannot sell it or barter with it. It's not an illegal substance though. I can sell or barter ALL of my other property. So, I guess you could say it's your property with strings attached, that is, regulated by the State. Unless that is, it is in someone else's possession ( in this case the processor) then there is NO regulation.

It will be cheaper for them to sell the company assets to a new company that they form. The old company can keep the liabilities, and pending litigation. Sound like customers got the "BIG" Weenier.

Default Like I said

Not legal advice, just what I would do.

I would agree with the "breach of contract" idea. If the processor gave you the finished edible meat and you didn't pay, he would likely go after you in a similiar manner.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Meat care

Personally , I carve up my own . it's not rocket science.
    But you have a forum here, of folks that use those services , seems to me that if some ones expirence with a business is unfair to some one the rest should know about it .
    There is no better way to deal with bad practices in business than to warn others . It will touch them where they live $$$$$
    Be sure your ducks are in a row and document every thing ,dating & Photos included. The same thing is true for good businesses , publish your satisfaction for their work , let others know whom you trust .