Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pot puller crab and shrimp

Default pot puller crab and shrimp

Looking for a little help, Im looking at buying either the ace line hauler or the puller from west marine, it s the endurance marine puller. Do any of you own one? I would love some feed back. Thanks

Smile Ace

I have owned the Ace puller for a few years now. I work two weighted pots on a string, usually around 7to8 hundred feet. No problem pulling, but much more enjoyable on a nice semi flat day. When the water gets nasty I am always wishing it was alot faster. Overall though, no breakdowns or real complaints other than speed. Also it folds up and easily stows out of the way when not in use.

Used the Ace for two years with no problems. Knock on wood. I think the Ace is the best in its class but agree with the previous comment that on nasty days I wish it was a lot faster. I know it's more money but if I had it to do over I'd get one of those haulers from Pot Builder. I would go with the Ace over the West Marine hauler.

Thumbs up ACE

I have the Ace, (motor is parallel to the unit vs some that stick straight out), folds up flat and stows nice. The speed is perfect, any faster and things get tangled and dicey! I let my main engine run, as I am moving from pot to pot and it keeps everything charged when shrimping hard over a long weekend. Pulls two pots to a string easy!

If you can wait till the spring shows Electra Dyne is working on a new model that will be more "small boat friendly", yes they cost more than the ace but you will only buy the ED once. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at the address at the bottom of the page.
    Steve da potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Ace Line Hauler

I've had the Ace for several years. I got one of the old ones that did'nt have an on-off switch or the double sheave on the puller. They sent me a double roller for free when they started using them. Last year mine started making a little noise[bearing] , and I called them to try and get a rebuild kit. They don't have one. Instead they sent me a new motor and gear box free. Years after the warrenty was over. Now thats service you enjoy. Potbuilders puller is a way better unit, should last forever. But with my space on my boat I have the Ace. I have been on 2 other boats with the King Puller- they are junk..........

Thank you all so much for the info. I Think Ill just go ahead with the ACE. I will
    only use it on occasion so I m not really worried about wearing it out. Happy fishing

Default Forgot to mention:

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have been satisfied with my Ace unit for some time now, but I am looking seriously into upgrading to an ED model this spring. I am waiting (like Potbuilder advises) to see what they come up with.

I borrowed a buddies ace for a long 4th of july trip, and was making daily pulls of 5 pots on a string in 500-600' of water, and I'd added 10# of lead to the pots. Pulling all those pots and 100 shrimp at a time put quite a strain on the unit, and when I buy a pot puller it's going to be something more powerful.

If you're planning on dropping 5 pots on a shot, and weight them so they hit bottom in a reasonable amount of time, I think you'll find the ace really isn't up to the task.

I agree about not pulling 5 pots. I pull 2,2,&1. But I spread out my pots always looking for the sweet spot. And I'm still looking

Quote Originally Posted by knudsemr View Post
    Thank you all so much for the info. I Think Ill just go ahead with the ACE. I will
    only use it on occasion so I m not really worried about wearing it out. Happy fishing
    Even if your only going to use a few times please think if it will be able to do the job for you. If it can't pull a 5 or even 3 pot string of shrimp pots in most conditions it really doesnt matter how much you use it, all the strain on the small gears and small motor will just burn it up in a short time. I know now i'll hear from all the "i pull 5 heavy pots with my ace no problem guys" but just think if you ever deside to try some tanner fishing that small hauler ain't gonna do the job with some bigger tanner gear. Just some food for thought & please stop by my booth at one of the shows this spring always glad to meet folks from the forums.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default So Potpuller, what are you saying exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Even if your only going to use a few times please think if it will be able to do the job for you.
    Okay so you have my/our ear. Why would I buy your merchandise?(that is the point of your hanging about in these threads eh?)

I am asking you straight up so I think that gives you license to sell away... Why your puller, pot set-up?

(just so you know I'm not being negative here... I would just like to know)

Default Ace line Hauler

I got an Ace for Christmas last year and I do like it.
    It is a bit slow but was Soo easy to install on my fiberglass boat compared to the other haulers out there. Sure it is not the best puller out there but for ease of set up and use as well as price it is hard to beat.
    And yes Steve I can pull 4'x4' Tanner pots(@40# dryweight) full with 60-80 crabs(not all legal size) from 550' of water. Not fast but better than the buoy puller I used last year. Sure the ED is faster and more powerful but would have been a pain to mount on my glass boat. Yes I have seen how some have been able to accomplish this(Mike aka.Alasgun)but My boat is a whole different style.
    We don't all need to pull 5 heavy pots on a string at once.
    The extra $500 for the ED to a guy who only uses it a few times each year is nothing to scoff at either.
    If it fits your boat and budget the ACE is better that no puller at all.
    Just my $.02
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've had the Ace for several years. I got one of the old ones that did'nt have an on-off switch or the double sheave on the puller. They sent me a double roller for free when they started using them. Last year mine started making a little noise[bearing] , and I called them to try and get a rebuild kit. They don't have one. Instead they sent me a new motor and gear box free. Years after the warrenty was over. Now thats service you enjoy. Potbuilders puller is a way better unit, should last forever. But with my space on my boat I have the Ace. I have been on 2 other boats with the King Puller- they are junk..........

I've heard the same story many times that Ace really goes the extra mile for their customers... that is a very big deal!
    Got an email this evening that the used e.d. I bought a while back is finally headed my direction. Fingers and eyes crossed that it's "good one".

Wink E.D. vs little guys

The argument that it is so much cheaper is not very valid.If you fish 5 pots, and you use multiple sets. You use 1/3 the line, 1/3 the buoys with the ED. Several hundred dollars for 1200-1800' of line and buoys. That makes up quite a bit of the price difference between the ED and a smaller, cheaper unit. Not to mention the added space to carry all of this gear.Isn't space really what we all need more of on the boat? My time is worth alot out on the water also. I don't want to take 1 or 2 hours to pull pots and reset. That is extra time to be catching. Some people do like to set in different areas, and spread their pots around. I think that must be because they are not catching good numbers. Not because they really enjoy waiting for their pot to surface. I'll stick with the 250-300 feet per minute with the ED.

Default My Ace Line Hauler

is supposed to pull line at a rate of 100' per minute. I fish 1 pot, 1 line, 1 bouy. Even though I've found some sweet spots, I still like to spread my pot around a bit.

When I added about 12lbs of weight to each pot earlier this year, the Ace went from 100' per minute to about 65' per minute. I have close to 900' of line on each pot. That means it takes roughly 14 minutes to pull each pot. Figure in extra time for baiting, re-positioning, and what ever other things are going on then multiply that by 5. All told, it is not uncommon for it to take me roughly 2 hours to re-set my string.

The first couple of years, I pulled by hand. Not so much fun. The Ace hauler makes life way easier. However, if ED comes out with a model that will fit my boat, I will switch.

Default which puller?

On the time thing, From the time I pull up next to the buoy It takes me 45 min. to pull my 4 pot string, work the shrimp, rebait and reset.
    And I won't get all crazy with any of the other particulars of my E-dyne other than I'd never replace it with a lesser puller.
    Mike

Default E-Dyne?

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    And I won't get all crazy with any of the other particulars of my E-dyne other than I'd never replace it with a lesser puller.
    Mike

Where can you go online to look up about the e-dyne puller?

Quote Originally Posted by WalknBob View Post
    Where can you go online to look up about the e-dyne puller?
    Click your heels together three times........and google electra dyne.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Click your heels together three times........and google electra dyne.
    Thanks, because I tried e-dyne that didn't bring up anything of use.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast