Thread: Remote Fly Fishing...What else is there?

Default Remote Fly Fishing...What else is there?

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Looking for some suggestions for a July 2010 Self Guided Fly Fishing Trip. Hoping to find a Remote River, Challenging Water (up to class 3 1/2), Big Bows & multi-species of Salmon, 40-65 mi float preferred. Small, clear watersheds best.

Have floated Grizzly Creek (American), Kisarolik, Chilikadratna, Lake Creek, Aniak. Hoping to hear your suggestions. Please also relay coordinater contact info, if available.

Happy to provide u w/ info on any rivers we've floated. Much Thanks, Ronnie K. Xstream@socal.rr.com

Not enough fish in Cali?
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish Whisperer View Post
    Please also relay coordinater contact info, if available.
    ]

You kidding me? YOU are the coordinator. Who planned your previous float trips?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I would give Rust's Air in Anchorage a call. They should be able to hook you up.

Look at a map to start... You can bet that if there is no glacier theres good salmon fishing
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default ummmm?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Look at a map to start... You can bet that if there is no glacier theres good salmon fishing

That's an interesting way to start....can think of lots of glacial systems that have good salmon fishing.....there's one outside of that town....now what is it called again....oh, what is it.....oh yeah Soldotna...and what is the name of that river again????? but shhhh. it's a secret.

Default more secrets told

The other Glacial systems to the north. Susitna, Skewentna, Yentna Talkeetna, Chulitna No salmon? b/c all have glaciers?

There are a couple good books you can get to help with this trip.

"Floating Alaska" by Don Crane
    "The Alaska River Guide" by Karen Jettmar

I have the book by Karen Jettmar and it gives you everything you are asking and more (put in, take out, milages) for all the rivers in Alaska, it is a great book and a must for anyone who plans to take a float trip.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Well - from the places you've already been to - I should be asking you those questions:

The Alagnak would seem to be the top place you haven't tried that meets those criteria. There are several bushpilots with raft/gear rentals who go there out of King Salmon or Dillingham, with different aircraft depending on your party size. Contact them - can't remember the exact names offhand but their contact information is listed on flyalaska.net. River (and camping) conditions vary depending on snowpack, but the fishing reports always seem to be decent.

You will need to plan everything at least 6 months in advance. Now is a good time to be thinking about it for next July.

I second the Alagnak suggestion... well worth the trip. Me and some buddies did the trip two years in a row. July would be a good time for Reds and Bows, maybe even some Kings.

Its a great wilderness float that starts in Kamai Nat'l Park. Floating from Kukaklek Lk. will take you through the canyon and some class II/III rapids. Great camping along the way. watch out for bears.

we flew with High Adventure Air out of Soldotna. highly reccommend them.

good luck and happy fishing!