View Poll Results: Should we be allowed to harvest meat OR hide?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! spring or fall we should be able to choose

29 39.19%
  • NO! it needs to stay the same.

11 14.86%
  • BOTH MEAT and HIDE all year

31 41.89%
  • nope only the hide is required

3 4.05%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear salvage hide or meat? requirements

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Black bear salvage hide or meat? requirements

NEW POLL>

again this is for interior bear PROPS... as the souther regions have already met .

but spring fall Black bear harvest .. in the spring through June you are required to take meat and Hide and skull...

in the fall only Hide and skull...

how many hunt in the fall for just the meat? state wide if you would... if we can get one area changed others will follow.

I am a meat hunter and have more bears hanging around then i know what to do with.. and while sealing the one from last fall two others were at F&G trying to give them the hides

i feel that with the new harvest tag system that skull data could still be used and a lot less carried into F&G with meat harvest.. i guess if sex data is an issue... carry the oosik in with the skull, if you dont have one it was a she.

i am not sure as to WHY we have the current requirement. so if some one does.. please feel free to share.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Upbringing

First off, sorry Vince, I didn't notice the part about this being for interior residents before I voted. That said, my vote was based on my upbringing. If your going to shoot it you had better plan on eating it, I only hunt what I will eat. Good example would be this years moose season. In 5 days of hunting moose I saw 3 brown bears. I don't like the taste of thier meat so I won't eat it, therefore I won't shoot a brown bear. The 2 black bears I saw though are now in the freezer and once I had them sealed, the hides went to friends who don't hunt yet wanted to have a rug made. The skulls went to my son's high school biology teacher. While I agree that with all the hunters after the "prey" animals, we need to ocasionally keep the "preditors" in check but my standard is where I draw the line and will not kill what I won't eat. If you kill a bear, then (IMO) you should be required to remove ALL usable parts of that animal. There is always someone who can use one part of it or another. I also feel that F&G should have some sort of donation center set up as another source of income(such as Fur Rondy auction) for hunters to donate hides/skulls/antlers/horns. F&G could then sell those items to help boost funds, even if it was just to help pay for coffee in thier lobby, etc. Maybe even provide some sort of discount on licenses or tags for making a donation of such.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NA its okay Dan.. i am writing Props for the interior region... but a general consensus state wide would be nice...The BOg meets this spring for the interior region like it did for South Central last spring. so. we are writing PROPOSITIONS for the 2010-2012 regualtory years..

i guess i should have stated that on the Grizz thread also.. Vote away.. vote away
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

In most cases the trophy is to come out after the meat(meat is trophy to me). With bear where meat and hide are to come out,what is to come out first

will if i understand the regs ... that in areas where you are currently required to salvage the meat and hide and skull... the meat comes out first if more then one trip is required.

but i agree the meat is the trophy... black bear is some great EATS....

meet on face book here

I'll say this on how the bear taste's, my 2 cents.

If you get a spring bear after it has had time to eat some fresh greens, good bear.

If you get one in the fall after the berriers come out, and thats what the bear is eating, good bear.

If you get one right before sleeping time, and they have just been feeding on fish, bad bear.

I think it's really just what they are eating before you shoot them.

I personally would'nt shoot one in the middle of summer because it's probablly a meat eating bear, and the hide is no good anyway.

My 2 cents.

Default What Dan said +1

Vince
    I have to agree with Dan. Every bear I have taken ended up in my freezer and friends are shocked at how good bear is! I agree that everything should come out. I had not thought about the donation plan Dan has, but agree with the ideas and would support it with donations if it were available to me. As the rules are now I donate my hide to a taxidermist friend of mine (predator control permit). I get the permit so I can land and shoot same day. I do not shoot Brown bears because I donít eat them. I am not opposed to others taking them but it isnít for me. I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    Drew

thanks... i too hunt them for meat.. i haul out all i can.. but would like the option of leaving the hide behind as i do moose etc.. especially if the hide is summer blown and useless. i am not sure HOW MANY hides could be given away or donated in the long term.

i do know that you can not donate bear meat to charitable orgs as they are regulated against excepting it.

i will concur SOME bears are beyond table fare.. though they are further apart then it seems. here in the interior i have found both black and grizz excellent fare even if just sausage..yet have had bad bear off the yukon harvested near villages. in the summer months.

meet on face book here

you know I hunt them for the meat myself Vince but I have heard many hunters talking and have even seen it happen. Either they say whne they come back from down south where the bears are eating fish in the fall they just throw the meat out, and Ive seen a guy come back from baiting only to run into him at the dump throwing the meat out never did care about it, until I saw him at a Taxidermist shop 20 minutes later turning in a bear for a rug to be done.

Honestly is there anything in the regs stating you actually have to keep the meat upon returning from the field other than meat will be salvaged? I think that question was brought up a while back ago.Maybe the BOG could get togetehr and have a certain type of tag etc... for wild game meat turned in to processors issued upon receit of wild game and the hunter has to fill this out or whatever the case maybe so as to insure meat is being used for human consumption and these numbers can be used also for data, now what about those who process all there own hmmmmmm? most are honest to do so, as others feed the dumpster divers.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    you know I hunt them for the meat myself Vince but I have heard many hunters talking and have even seen it happen. Either they say whne they come back from down south where the bears are eating fish in the fall they just throw the meat out, and Ive seen a guy come back from baiting only to run into him at the dump throwing the meat out never did care about it, until I saw him at a Taxidermist shop 20 minutes later turning in a bear for a rug to be done.

Honestly is there anything in the regs stating you actually have to keep the meat upon returning from the field other than meat will be salvaged? I think that question was brought up a while back ago.Maybe the BOG could get togetehr and have a certain type of tag etc... for wild game meat turned in to processors issued upon receit of wild game and the hunter has to fill this out or whatever the case maybe so as to insure meat is being used for human consumption and these numbers can be used also for data, now what about those who process all there own hmmmmmm? most are honest to do so, as others feed the dumpster divers.
    Dan the issue is that those of us that hunt for meat MUST salvage the hide. if i harvest a July bear that is half bald.. what do i do with the hide? as salvage requirments state that i can't let it waste.. you have been to my house also. .i am bear hide poor.,.... thats why many of us would like the option of just taking the meat in the fall.... OR the hide if thats what your after.

meet on face book here

There are so many needy people out there who could use the meat...I just can't stand, personally of course, leaving that much meat in the field when it could be donated to the hungry. We either keep the meat and get sausage made out of it, give it to the food bank or give it away to people who need it. Just MHO.

I voted for meat and hide, although my preference would be meat only. If you're not going to eat it, don't shoot it. Black bear is by far my favorite game meat, and grizz isn't bad if it hasn't been eating fish.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    There are so many needy people out there who could use the meat...I just can't stand, personally of course, leaving that much meat in the field when it could be donated to the hungry. We either keep the meat and get sausage made out of it, give it to the food bank or give it away to people who need it. Just MHO.

I whole heartedly agree... however the food bank can not as my understanding except bear meat, they can only except ungulate. the link to the requiremtns were posted last year i just cont remember where they were at.

meet on face book here

my vote is for the missing option: meat and hide in the spring, meat OR hide after June 15. The bear I took this spring was the last of June, and I did the right thing, brought hide and skull to the Fish and Feathers. The hide was rubbed nearly bald, and the skull was shattered. I would much rather have left both out in the woods for the other critters to snack on, while I ate the rest of 'im.

One thing the regulations should NOT do, is to be a deterrent to shooting bears in areas where they are highly populated, and the ungulate population is down. There are increasingly more areas in the state that can use more harvest of brown/grizzlies, not less.

I cringe when I hear that someone won't shoot a grizzly, because they won't eat them, but try to shoot moose every year from low populations. I've eaten parts of 3 Hatcher Pass spring grizzlies now, and all were excellent. They all eat salmon all summer, from Willow, Sheep, Little Willow and the Little Su, then go to moose gut piles and berries for a month to two months prior to going to bed. First thing out of the den they're pulling down live moose and digging up winterkills. All were delicious! Right there with black bear. A lot more sausage, though, as their front quarters were hard as rocks.

I try to take a bear or three every year. I haven't been very successful on grizzlies; that would change if I could take them on bait, and didn't like fishing so much! One reason I don't shoot grizzlies, though I always carry a tag, is that I don't really need the hide, nor the expense of tanning and rugging it, and I don't want to eat the meat if I shoot the bear with a faceful of salmon. I don't mind donations of spring bear meat or fall berry bear meat at all: if it is cared for properly in the field, you can dump off unwanted bear meat in my home any time! There are many others like me out there... don't let fear of bad meat prevent you from shooting a griz from a berry patch.

Like I said Vince it does stae we are supposed to salvage from the field, once its in the truck which is now out of the field you can do whatever....

Anyhow alot of fellas give hide, skull and even meat to my taxidermist....He'll even hold onto it and ask ppl as they come in If they need any or want any.Atleast there are some folks out there willing to donate it thru him whiich is cool.

Some Churches also take donated meat.............hey why dont we come up with a list of potential donatee's( buisness etc...) that are willing to take donated meat? This way we can help out in some way. I can even store meat here since I have two deep chest freezers until the meat finds a home or whatever.

I think the reason F&G wants to see the hide is to determine if it was a sow with cubs. Can't think of any other way to check for that than looking at the hide to see if the teats are rubbed raw from nursing cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I whole heartedly agree... however the food bank can not as my understanding except bear meat, they can only except ungulate. the link to the requiremtns were posted last year i just cont remember where they were at.

Ah...must have changed since the last time I took them some. Or..they didn't realize what they were getting Oh well...someone got some good meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Like I said Vince it does state we are supposed to salvage from the field, once its in the truck which is now out of the field you can do whatever....
    THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!! THIS WILL GET YOU A HEALTHY FINE IF YOU ARE CAUGHT!!

For anyone that has done this I imagine that you will go down and turn yourselves in to the troopers, as that would be the ethical thing to do.

Under 5AAC 92.990
    (49) "salvage" means to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull, or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wild fowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste, and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use;
    To be crystal clear it is against the law to discard parts of an animal that are required to be "salvaged".

Soooo, how do you all feel about that regulation now?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

For anyone that has done this I imagine that you will go down and turn yourselves in to the troopers, as that would be the ethical thing to do.

Under 5AAC 92.990
    To be crystal clear it is against the law to discard parts of an animal that are required to be "salvaged".

I love the regulation personally. But there are those who dont abide them, as with other regulations as well. Atleast I know I do right, thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Under 5AAC 92.990

now look up salvage requirments of meat off a black bear.. = 4 quaters and the backstrap. hide, head.
    and if you are not required to haul out that meat... there is nothing stopping yo from dumping it..

though i would never personally condone it. i am also aware the long standing stigmata of some eating bear meat and wont try it.. not to mention we have cultures right here in AK that will not allow the women to eat bear once they reach "women hood" i am saying i would like the choice to only carry out the meat if i choose too....

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast