Thread: Dall Sheep Pedestal

Default Dall Sheep Pedestal

Does anyone happen to have any photos of bighorn, desert, or dall sheep pedestal mounts? I'm getting ready to have my dall sheep mounted and am looking for ideas. I would also be curious what form you used (if known). If you are shy to post here you can email me directly at: jseb@lamar.colostate.edu Thanks!

....here are two we have in the living room(my guy harvested them, I was the "packer" for the Tok ram, and have helped packed out several...I have been hunting hard for sheep for 7 years, and have yet to harvest one,though-still trying-)

-mounted by Yukon Grubaugh...Tall Tales Taxidermy, in Anchorage

-Tok ram

-closer view of the Tok ram-

Kenai ram-

...closer shot of the Kenai ram

-here are both in view....the direction of the mount was chosen with a certain wall of the house in mind-

.....I hope this helps-

Default Wall or table

Are you looking for a wall pedestal or table top? Just courious becasue if you google "Dall Sheep pedestal mount" it will come up with a few pics for you to see. I attached one i found. I'm sure if all you could find was a table top then your taxidermist could modify it. Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GAredneck; 11-25-2009 at 14:44. Reason: added pic

Thanks for the sheep photos! Those are amazing rams and mounts! I have a bighorn ram that is on a table pedestal similar to the one in GAredneck's post. It would be pretty cool to somehow incorperate both together in 1 mount but I haven't figure out a good way to do it yet. I have an extra pair of dall sheep and bighorn horns with skull that I could add to the mount. Any other ideas? Thanks for the photos...you got me drooling!

Default pedestal mounts

I think sheep and caribou both make excellent pedestal mounts. As to putting more than one sheep on the same base, that's not really a problem. HERE'S A LINK showing such mounts; as was mentioned, there are many other pics on the net.

One interesting idea some might be interested in is the swing-arm mounting system seen HERE. It allows you to position your animal in smaller corner areas and to display it from different angles.

As to a link to the form you might use, HERE'S A LINK to one sold by Mckenzie Taxidermy Supply. Another thing I'd look at is the eyes. There have been huge improvements in eye quality in recent years. It's old news to some, but you can get eyes now where you can actually see the smaller blood vessels and such. I saw some eyes on a bear mount that were slightly bloodshot. Amazing, and very realistic.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike! Those are great ideas and mounts! That pair of ram pedestals looks fantastic! I am actually have a bull elk mounted on one of the Animals in Motion brackets and hopefully the bracket can handle the weight. I think it is a great idea because you can change the pose so it best suites the view in your particular room and best view of your animal. Also, if you get bored you can change change the pose angle. I'm not sure how much range of motion my elk will have because there is a clearance problem with the wall..but hopefully it will work? I have a feeling a caribou may have the same problem.

Last edited by trapperbob; 05-19-2010 at 22:45.

Default Wall pedestal

This is from the sheep my buddy and I got this year....

Default Another angle

This angle will better show the wall pedestal style

Default Mount

Greenbrier.......who did the taxidermy work? Looks nice. I have an idea who it might be.

Default Taxidermist

I took it to Joe Romano in Anchorage. I was very happy to have it back in only 4 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    I took it to Joe Romano in Anchorage. I was very happy to have it back in only 4 mos.
    I think you mean "Romero" not "Romano", right? He is the go to go for sheep IMO. Great looking sheep.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Yep....

Greenbrier,

Thats what I thought. I've had Joe do 2 dall sheep mounts for me, he is the BEST for sheep IMO. I could tell that was his work....excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    This is from the sheep my buddy and I got this year....
    I remember that ram...the infamous "blue jean" ram!

Default You are right...

It is Joe Romero @ Aurora Wildlife. I dont know why I wrote Romano.

Yes, I hunted in my Levis and took a Diet Mt. Dew bottle for my water bottle....I still hear about that. LOL

Thanks for the kind words about the mount. Steve