Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best 4-7 days canoe trip for wildlife?

Default best 4-7 days canoe trip for wildlife?

Hi everybody!
    I was thinking about North Fork of the Koyukuk for a week long canoe trip (in august 2010) but the plane is expensive and it seems not to be much wildlife.
    I have bought Karen Jetmar's book and she describes many rivers with road access (or just one flight for drop off or pick up), but so many that it's difficult to choose!
    Can you please share your experiences?
    We will rent inflatable (or not) canoes or raft.
    We prefer swift rivers, class 2 or easy 3.
    I would prefer not to float along a highway and have a feeling of remoteness.
    Thanks for your help!
    Marie

Gulkana river. I floated that for the first time in 07'. Put in at Paxson lake, pull out at Sourdough camp. Beautiful country and excellent fishing. We did it in four easy days, next time I will stay over an extra day in a camp spot I like.

Thanks for the idea!

I've looked for it and there is a portage : how long is it? Rather flat?

The Chulitna river seems nice too, maybe too crowded?

Marie

Default Remote wilderness experience... Inflatable canoe... Class 2+

Couple of recommended canoe trips that provide the true remote wilderness and wildlife viewing opportunity in a swift class II through less demanding III....

Lake Clark National Park/Preserve:
    CHILIKADROTNA from Twin Lakes
    http://alaskaraftconnection.com/itm00004.htm

UPPER MULCHATNA from Turquoise Lake
    http://alaskaraftconnection.com/itm00020.htm

These pristine gems are Fly-out trips round-trip and fit your time-line perfectly.

The nearby STONY out of Telaquana Lake would be another excellent canoe float... take out at the Stony River village on the Kuskokwim.

We have the fly-out, inflatable canoe rentals, with all the float and camp essentials in a professional, organized, and easy one stop shop.

Quote Originally Posted by chatpacha View Post
    Hi everybody!
    I was thinking about North Fork of the Koyukuk for a week long canoe trip (in august 2010) but the plane is expensive and it seems not to be much wildlife.
    I have bought Karen Jetmar's book and she describes many rivers with road access (or just one flight for drop off or pick up), but so many that it's difficult to choose!
    Can you please share your experiences?
    We will rent inflatable (or not) canoes or raft.
    We prefer swift rivers, class 2 or easy 3.
    I would prefer not to float along a highway and have a feeling of remoteness.
    Thanks for your help!
    Marie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Both Somewhat Crowded

However both the Gulkana and Chulitna offer things that are worth seeing.

Gulkana - Moose, Otter, Beaver, Muskrat some Bear and sometimes but not often Caribou or an Eagles. Slow going in the middle other than that lots of rock hoping during low water. Round the falls is up and down good trail some wooden steps now again and is not difficult. Fishing for Salmon available in season as well as Whitefish, Rainbows and Grayling.

Chulitna you have two options Middle or East Fork both offer fun both offer views depending on the time year lots of bears in and or around the system limited take outs. Fishing can be fair at the mouths of creeks unless your on the middle then you have some extra fishing prior to the Glaciated waters. Nice Trip. If you stay away from the weekends on either river you should not have to much crowding.

If your going furing the peak of the King Run it's always busy i.e. 14 June through 4th of July.

Gulkana Inflatable Canoe and or Kayak would be more than ample if I was floating the Chulitna I would rather be in a raft.

Renting as stated by Brian:

Alaska Raft Connection Anchorage

Alaska Raft & Kayak Anchorage

Downstream Rentals Anchorage

Alaska Canoe - Sterling

Blue Moose Rafting Fairbanks

Pristin Ventures Fairbanks

Test the Waters Fairbanks

You also have some options with outfitters located on some of the rivers in the state you wish a list PM me and I will shoot you some names and places.

Brian's options are also very good and that part of the state is little used compared to the road system.

Best wishes

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting

The Gulkana portage is flat then downhill being as you portage downstream, it is not long perhaps 200-300 yards max as I remember it.

After the portage is where the class2-3 rapids and the rainbow fishing begins, above the falls all we caught were LOADS of nice fat grayling.

Thank's all for help!

About Chulitna are there some dayhiking opportunities (toward Eldrige or Ruth Glaciers maybe?)
    To do the shuttle, is it possible by train (I see Colorado not far from East Fork)?

And last : does anybody know NELCHINA TAZLINA RIVER? Worth the trip?

Marie

PS : I am really lucky to have find this nice forum with helping people!

Gulkana has a lot more people on it than Chulitna. It's also smaller and slower, but the fishing is far better. As far as a nice wilderness floats go I much prefer the Nelchina/Tazlina. You rarely ever see other people anywhere along the trip. Here's my write up on it: http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page39.html. You can also find info on the Chulitna and Gulkana on my paddling site, as well as several others.

The Fortymile, Copper and Chitna rivers are also very nice floats that have highway access on both ends. All pleasant multi-day floats that can be done without spending a lot of money.

Hello Jim!
    I have spent a nice time reading your website, very interesting and useful for me!
    I think we will choose the Chulitna : do you have an idea for the shuttle?
    Is it easy to do hitchhiking if we don't find another solution?

Another idea would be to rent 2 small cars rather than one big, it's the same price.

As we are 5 : 2 adults and 3 children (14 to 17) I think we will take our Grabner Outside and rent a raft. Which size of raft is necessary? We will not load the Grabner but just use it for fun.

Thank's for your help.

Marie

Logistics for the Chulitna are simple enough. All the choices for put-ins and take-outs are not too far apart along the same stretch of highway. I haven't hitchhiked in years, but if there ever was a good place to do it, this would be it. A few years ago Back Country Safaris was running a daily shuttle bus that would pick up rafters at the take out and pack them and their boats/gear back to the top, or the other way around for people parking their cars at the bottom. I'm not sure they still do this, but you could call them to find out. http://www.backcountrysafaris.com/. I've used them twice for Chulitna shuttles.

If you kept someone in the Grabner, and only had 4 in the raft, you could probably get away with a 14' raft. I would prefer a 15-16' raft for 4-5 people +gear, but the 14' will do it as long as the gear pile isn't too large. If the water is low, the upper few miles can be difficult with a heavily loaded boat. Once you get past the railroad crossing it gets easier.

Thank's again Jim!

Marie

Might also think about the Yukon, putting in at Dawson and out at Eagle or Circle. No roads along the way and usually only a few people/boats as you get near towns. From Eagle a couple of years ago, you could get a one-way passenger ticket on the Holland America boat that runs between Dawson and Eagle for about $90. Beats positioning two cars by a lot. There is a canoe rental in Dawson or Eagle that allow you to drop the boat downstream (in Eagle or Circle) and not have to screw around with getting it back to the dealer.

Thumbs up Parks Highway Shuttle with Raft rental

Hello Jim!
    I have spent a nice time reading your website, very interesting and useful for me!
    I think we will choose the Chulitna : do you have an idea for the shuttle?
    Is it easy to do hitchhiking if we don't find another solution?

Another idea would be to rent 2 small cars rather than one big, it's the same price.

As we are 5 : 2 adults and 3 children (14 to 17) I think we will take our Grabner Outside and rent a raft. Which size of raft is necessary? We will not load the Grabner but just use it for fun.

Thank's for your help.

Marie
    At ALASKA RAFT CONNECTION, we provide logistics including road-side shuttles. A nice option for your trip would be to take the railroad to put-in & take-out round-trip.

On the raft size... I agree with Jim... a 14' would work, yet a 15' (same price to rent) would be much better for the group size, # of days, in addition to the fact that this river can change quickly with warm summer temperatures and a sudden spell of hard rains.

If you where to do the shuttles round trip with us --- we also take care of professionally assembling the raft (properly outfitted) to ensure all is in order plus organize everything on the take-out end. This extra service can be a really helpful bonus if you decide to rent our Catarafts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default yukon

Hello Toofew,
    I have thought paddling the Yukon but it has seemed to me not easy to plan and needing much time (twofewweekdays!)
    I did'nt know what you explain : do you remember the name of the canoe rental agency working in Eagle and Circle?
    Padling the Yukon is one of my dreams and I hope to realize it one day!
    Marie

Default for Brian

Hello Brian,
    I send you a mail on your website adress.
    Marie

Post beaver creek...

kill two birds w/one stone....no people & 360 degs of ALASKA. BLM & STATE LAND........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I think you could totally canoe a section of the Yukon. Yukon Charley National park is beautiful. This is in the section from Eagle to Circle, both are road accessible. I also enjoyed the section from Dawson to Eagle. Depending on how much you wanted to travel each day you could do both sections.
    Look into outfitters in Fairbanks.

I notice all your suggestions, maybe for another alaskan travel.
    For our first trip in AK, we will choose the Chulitna, not too far, not too long: allowing time to discover other places in your country.
    I've haven' yet seen it but I already wish to return another time in AK!
    Marie

Thanks for shairng:
    Alaska Raft Connection Anchorage

Alaska Raft & Kayak Anchorage

Downstream Rentals Anchorage

Alaska Canoe - Sterling

Blue Moose Rafting Fairbanks

Pristin Ventures Fairbanks

Test the Waters Fairbanks

Default hi

I notice all your suggestions, maybe for another alaskan travel.
    For our first trip in AK, we will choose the Chulitna, not too far, not too long: allowing time to discover other places in your country.
    I've haven' yet seen it but I already wish to return another time in AK!
    Marie
    You should visit
    Alaska anytime between May 10 and September 15. The days are long, nature is in full bloom, and the air is alive with energy.you can also visit the for useful information about Alaska Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast