Thread: Threw down the coin

Default Threw down the coin

Well I went on a shopping spree today at Sportsmans I picked up 3 little poles, 3 pole holders, 2 folding chairs, 3 folding stools, some sort of ice scooper thing, an assortment of jigs and little fish lures and a Pop up Eskimo 6 man shelter.

I think I got everything to get started except an auger which I will borrow from the FIL, at least for this season untill I can do more research on them.

Now I just need to dig out the big buddy and my smaller Colman spot heater and get them set up for my first weekend as an ice-fisherman. (The kids are jazzed!)

Good luck out there LuJon!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

good luck Jon!!!! sounds like fun in the making.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default ice fishing secret exposed?

When you said, "threw down the coin" and this thread was in the ice fishing forum I thought you were exposing a little ice fishing trick that worked for me years ago on Birch Lake. Whenever the bite slowed down I would drop a few pennies down my fish hole and in no time the bite would pick up again. I guess it was just enough flash to draw them back to my bait. It's only worked for me when I had the bite and then lost the bite. If you don't have the bite at all you need to move around and find the fish. Then, try the penny trick (or nickel, dime, etc.)

Have fun with all the new stuff and don't forget to "throw down the coin".

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    When you said, "threw down the coin" and this thread was in the ice fishing forum I thought you were exposing a little ice fishing trick that worked for me years ago on Birch Lake. Whenever the bite slowed down I would drop a few pennies down my fish hole and in no time the bite would pick up again. I guess it was just enough flash to draw them back to my bait. It's only worked for me when I had the bite and then lost the bite. If you don't have the bite at all you need to move around and find the fish. Then, try the penny trick (or nickel, dime, etc.)

So what you are saying is that when the fishing goes bad the only answer is to throw more money at it. Sounds like everything else in life!

good going - you and the kids will have a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post

We did that on the charter boat I worked on in Toronto.
    Only it had to be silver not a penny as pennies were considered bad luck.
    We would head out to where we were going to drop lines and the first thing we did on every charter was to pay the Fish Gods by flipping a quarter, dime or nickle over the transom of the boat.
    Did it work?? ?? ?? Couldn't hurt!!!
    So yeah don't forget to pay the Fish Gods!!!!

Wink

Welcome to the club! I've spent thousands on a sport you can do just as well wrapping a string and hook around your finger....
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Hands down the BEST ice fishing investment for the money after shelter is a flasher unit. Once you learn how to use it, it will increase your catch at least 4 fold.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Coin trick?

Almost sounds as good as dropping a pinch of Copenhagen in the water before you start. No berkley super bait or magic scent works as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    We did that on the charter boat I worked on in Toronto.
    Only it had to be silver not a penny as pennies were considered bad luck.
    We would head out to where we were going to drop lines and the first thing we did on every charter was to pay the Fish Gods by flipping a quarter, dime or nickle over the transom of the boat.
    Did it work?? ?? ?? Couldn't hurt!!!
    So yeah don't forget to pay the Fish Gods!!!!

this thread gives an entire new meaning to "DROPPING THE DIME"

that and dropping cash to eat somin fishy... borderlines on illegal activities also don't it?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here