Thread: lynx question

Default lynx question

I was out on the line the other day and came across some tracks that were either lynx or wolf. It was hard to tell because of the snow condition. I followed the tracks for a while and found where the animal left some droppings. My question is do lynx cover there droppings like house cats? If I can find the answer to this question that will tell me if the animal is a wolf or lynx. thank you for any help.

Lynx tracks are roundish to oval shaped and usually no claw marks. Wolves just crap and take off again and their tracks can fit a spade and have claw marks and bigger foot pads.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

and travel in packs

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    and travel in packs
    not always.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

i was just guessing...lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I know wolf do not cover there scat. Not sure on lynx... good question.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    not always.
    Yeah, of all the wolves I've seen, only once have I come across a pack - and that was because I stumbled onto a den. Only one other time have I seen more than one wolf at a time, and that was just a pair.

Brian, I've seen them up in the Resurection pass area and what they were doing was separating and hunting different drainages and then coming together again further down the valley..neat to watch..and too far to shoot..

If you followed the tracks for a bit you should have been able to tell just by the pattern of stride and where they walked. Were the tracks staggered or a straight line? Did they hang tight to the brush or stay out in the open. Canines usually like to stay a bit more in the open and cats tend to snake their way through the tight brush. And as far as bobcats go I use to locate their community toilets in the rim rocks and yes most the time they'd cover up their droppings
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Lynx do not cover their droppings. Like said above, cats tend to slink on the edges of brushy trails or walk along the edges of swamps and lakes. They have a steady pace and usually never run unless hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Brian, I've seen them up in the Resurection pass area
    That's the same general area that I found the den.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, of all the wolves I've seen, only once have I come across a pack - and that was because I stumbled onto a den. Only one other time have I seen more than one wolf at a time, and that was just a pair.
    Interesting to hear. I see the occasional lone track out his way but it usually will lead back to a pack if followed far enough, I have only seen lone wolves twice both in the fall while moose hunting. In winter it has been 3 or more generally more at a time. My first wolf snared was a loner that had been injured and was hanging in a small area other than that even when I only have gotten one there were others around.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Lynx also have retractable claws, normally not visible in a track. The size of the track will be about 3-5 inches but the pad marks are much closer and in a circular pattern as opposed to the second and third toe much farther forward as in the case of a k-9. The claw prints should be visible on a k-9 track. Hope this helps.
    PC gag in place.

Default Was the track

down deep in the snow? Was the tracks close together? A wolf will leave distinctive prints in your trail. You will see the toes as well as the middle pad very well. The usually don't "wander" around. Lynx tracks will be large and round, can be very close together.

I watched a cat make some tracks last Sunday and they looked a lot like these -

Close together and offset slightly.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....