Thread: Mallards converted to Surf Scoters

Default Mallards converted to Surf Scoters

Not the best but I hope it does the job. I just need to add the black circle around the white area. Found one decoy laying around and did not want to spend the time again so I made a black scoter. So much easier.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

They look great, I need to take some time after my season down here and paint up my teal decoys.

Tomorrow I'm going to spray this clear coat to protect the paint.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Nice Job!!

Ak gray---looking great!!! Even better than milk jugs'!! I bet a guy could sell those on ebay or this forum--sportplast sells scoters for about 80 bucks a dozen and they are small--I'd choose yours over the euro plastics. You'll do just fine down here. I've been seeing lots of seaducks and saw some nice harlequins out in some nearby bays of juneau. The scoters mostly whites and surfs, decoy real easy. The ol timers at my church that grew up shooting sea ducks in Auke Bay just used a couple cans of black spray paint and milk and bleach bottles and they always shot their limit.
    I have a custom made sea duck call I can send you but it will cost alot---lol Let us know how the trip goes and definitly take pics.

Default nice

those do look great! I always but some girls in with my drakes but sea ducks decoy well and black shows up easyer then brown and with the white they should stick out. If you are in a boat or in deeper water use a gang line and it will make everything faster and all sea ducks and divers stay in a line anyway. Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    those do look great! I always but some girls in with my drakes but sea ducks decoy well and black shows up easyer then brown and with the white they should stick out. If you are in a boat or in deeper water use a gang line and it will make everything faster and all sea ducks and divers stay in a line anyway. Ryan
    Thanks. I just bought a gang line clips and with two 100 feet of 5/50 cord and a 50 foot of 5/50 cord

What I plan to run is my 6 Scoters and 9 Buffleheads

Scoters /-30 yrds from hunter
    /
    /- 20 yards _ _ _ Bufflehead20 yrds from hunters
    --------------------------------------
    X hunters X
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Those look GREAT Gary!!! You will shoot some ducks over those decoys for sure. Dont make them too shiny with the clear coat though!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Those look GREAT Gary!!! You will shoot some ducks over those decoys for sure. Dont make them too shiny with the clear coat though!!!!
    I got a flat coat. Going to spray one then see how it turns out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK