Thread: Long Range Shooting

Default Long Range Shooting

Can someone give some insight on the proper way to use some of the equipment used in long range shooting? Such as Boone and Crocket recticles. Tactical scopes where you dial your range in then hold dead on target. I know that this takes a lot of practice and shooting skill. Just wanting a good place to start.

Your best bet is to join http://snipershide.com
    I have learned a lot from these guys. If you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Can someone give some insight on the proper way to use some of the equipment used in long range shooting? Such as Boone and Crocket recticles. Tactical scopes where you dial your range in then hold dead on target. I know that this takes a lot of practice and shooting skill. Just wanting a good place to start.
    What ranges do you want to shoot to?

The B&C reticle is a BDC (ballistic drop compensating) reticle. It's based on a particular MV, and BC, so it may come close to your bullet's ballistics, but probably wont match exactley. If you want precise LR shooting capability you get a good scope with accurate and repeatable target turrets to dial in your elevation and windage. When you start getting past 500-600 yds it gets fairly complex.

Another good site, and IMHO the best site for LR shooting/hunting, is...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

There are a lot of very good technical articles and threads.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post

One of the masters of the genre is Zak Smith, try him at www.demigodllc.com