Thread: Outboard Motor Storage

Default Outboard Motor Storage

For winter storage on the boat, how do you recomend storing the outboard motor--in an up or down position?

I see a lot of people here in SE with the motors tilted up, after they get the boat wrapped. But the Yamaha manuals say to keep it down when storing it.

Is there a reason for keeping it tilted up during the winter?

Thanks!

Default Not sure in SE

In Anchorage and places farther North, there's a contention that rain may accumulate in the exhaust through the propeller and freeze. Possibly cracking the lower unit. I accidently left mine up last year, no problems experienced though.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Seems to me if the manual says store it down than it's kind of a no brainer.... And I leave mine down.

I leave both of mine up, as I remove the batteries before I move the boat to a friend's place for storage, and don't want to travel with the engines down (I guess I could take the batteries out at his place and schlep them back home, reversing in the spring). But I do have prop covers that keep snow and water out too . . .

I understand the theory of storing the engine down, but last year I ended up storing my suzi 140 up all winter with no problems. And there was plenty of freezing and thawing going on last winter.

I stored it in the down position this winter, just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Seems to me if the manual says store it down than it's kind of a no brainer.... And I leave mine down.
    My thoughts as well, but I wasn't sure if there was something about freezing, that has to do with keeping it in the up position.

I have stored mine up on a boat i used to have with prop and no cover for years without a problem. Sounds like for piece of mind and from what manufacture recommends you shouldn't chance it. When it was stored up it was tilted and turned all the way to one side. Sounds like you got the idea mine was a Suzuki.

Thumbs up

I live in Kodiak and store my motors up, never had a problem. I do use my boat about once a month in the winter though, 150 yamaha 4 stroke.

Default Check Your Local Boat Shops

All of the places I am aware of here in Juneau that store outboards for the winter have them in the "down" position. After it is winterized I leave my kicker on its transom bracket on my boat inside the storage shed in the down position. My .02.

Default storage

I'm impressed ,
    I've worke 18 years on boats in the mountains where it freezes, we did a lot of winterization,
    typically
    Ran fuel conditioner and a fulll tank to reduce moisture build up in an half empty tamk and the carb bowl full as well . the conditioner prevents the evaporation and absorbs H2o ,broken frozen fuel lines are just too much fun .
    we fogg the engine during this process to coat all the innerds, again fighting the moisture.
    we check the gear case for water and lube condition ,and disconnect the battery and test it .if the battery is even marginal , the acid will be water and freeze and waste it any way.
    All the rental boats motors were removed and put on a rack out side and given service as reqirred through the winter. a leak down test was the better choice than compression 100 times more accurate.
    stern drives were given anti freeze , the rv type and some extra poured in the exhaust portion of the prop and then we covered them to keep water out . customer boats were shrink wraped with vents to let out any moisture during warm days. too much fun

My outboard (4-stroke kicker) sits on a stand in the living room...never fails to fire in the spring.

Default Down

The reason is that with it up it can fill with debris and block the drain hole, then freeze and break the lower unit.

Its that simple!
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    My outboard (4-stroke kicker) sits on a stand in the living room...never fails to fire in the spring.
    Don't think my wife would go for that one...

Then I'd be sleeping in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post

I'd bet you are single.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Don't think my wife would go for that one...

Then I'd be sleeping in the garage.
    Well, I don`t have a garage so she puts up with my mini sporting goods store in the living room. It is tough to see that stuff every waking hour...always packed and ready to roll though.