Thread: White fish

Default White fish

Can you catch white fish.and Greyling through the Ice.Any good advice.

yes you can I've caught grayling on small shrimp and jigs I'd bet whitefish would go for the same or a spear.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default White Fish & Grayling

We use to fish for Grayling through the ice across from FAA in King Salmon with standard jigs like the Swedish Pimple small.

Concerning White Fish people commonly fish them around the Great Lakes through the ice. Wax Worms and tear Drops work, and small Swedish Pimple Jig. Tender mouths mean you loose a lot. Hex Nymphs "known" as wigglers back in MI. were always a standard back-up however I do not believe you will find available in the Great Stae of Alaska.

Tight Lines and best wishes.

Blue Moose

I have some wigglers from my last steelhead trip this past spring.

I also wondered about any good lakes for whitefish. There is plenty written on the subject of how to fish for them, do a search and it'll all come up easy enough.

Now where to go in AK? There used to be some MONSTERS acrossed from eielson, they seem to have been eatin by the pike though atleast from what I've seen.

The good ole spear, grayling and whitefish love the taste of that one.

any good places to go to catch whitefish? Delta clearwater has a ton of them, never tried ice fishing there. Really don't know any other good places for them that I can think of......

Default Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I have some wigglers from my last steelhead trip this past spring.

I also wondered about any good lakes for whitefish. There is plenty written on the subject of how to fish for them, do a search and it'll all come up easy enough.

Now where to go in AK? There used to be some MONSTERS acrossed from eielson, they seem to have been eatin by the pike though atleast from what I've seen.
    Duded that hurt! I have miles man call me! LOL Ok I will be chasing them in May either way!

not sure you are allowed to spear grayling (I'd bet you can't unless theres some federal subsistence regulation or something) you can spear whitefish though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.