Thread: FMA!! WHAT are you people doing????????

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default FMA!! WHAT are you people doing????????

All year long.. seems like moose are being bow hunted to get them off the roads...

how come no one can find any? dang i almost ran five over again this morning... 2 cows and a bull... in one spot and two cows in another..

warmed up to 25 there in the higher spots today still only 3 above in town

so let me give a few of ya's tips...

#1 stop SNEAKING!!!!! grab the ol lady and use her for cover, make sure she has a BIG camera in her hand... the three this morning i am sure were walking down the road cause the old women was taking photos of them...

#2 stop sneaking.. they have been hunted and run around by camo clad bow hunters for the last three months... the one in my yard last night let me walk nearly to it...

3 i may have said this...stop sneaking.. walk along them.. pick at a tree dont look them in the eye.. be a person waking around.. these moose live in town.. they are used to how we behave the rest of the year.belly crawling and hands and knees... well thats what the wolf does to... sept, he don't crunch the snow like you do...

good luck rest of the season. and if i was a bow hunter i would turn on the old steece at Farmers loop and head to wards Curry's corner... just past the mini storage this morning...

i would also look there about 1/2 mile up the CHSR from the over pass if you have a cow tag at least it looked productive about 30 min ago...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

When I mentioned sneaking we were not belly crawling. Just walking quietly is what I consider sneaking. Even acting normal nothing changed for us. It's not that we didn't see any moose, We saw 19 to be exact in two of the days we were there. But when archery hunting its not just aim and shoot. Like I said, we had 3 opportunities that were handed to us but the timing, light, distance and all the other moose just wouldn't cooperate. If it had been rifle season I would have 19 full freezers. (if that was possible ) This wasn't our first goat roping. Like I said this is the first year we have ever come home empty handed.

I did a whole lot of thinking about this on the way home, and I can contribute a lot of our problem to "city" hunting. Normally when we get drawn its for way out places you likely don't see many other folks.

Good luck to the rest of you! They are out there.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well 19 moose and three stalks is a good two day average... not sure what yer aching about heck your hunting in town... whats expect from some folks?

lots of folks looking... get after them guys.. they is getting away.. to bad i filled all my tags i would be out there too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

HEY huntress??? how many did you see in the flat lands at -30 the other day?

think aobut it folks... if you had to lay in the snow all day? wouldn't you be up in the warmer spots? we average 20-35 degrees warmer in the hills at night then the flats around town... think inversion layer and hunt the edge of it...

meet on face book here

****! I knew I shouldn't have waited to get my bow certification! lol

Actually, they were ALL in the flatlands
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

They are laying up against the houses Vince getting the warmth off of them.

Really this did happen 2 years ago, a full grown calf layed next to the house for 2 1/2 days before it got up and took off.

The dog was allways out there to make sure it did'nt get near the porch, (even tho it did'nt move the whole time) and kinda if you could call it that built a little frendship with it.

I was just going to call the F&G when it got to its feet and started on its way. It was during the -40 temps, but I'd never seen anything like it.

And I have to agree with Hunt on this, they will just hunker down before they expend energy to climb in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Actually, they were ALL in the flatlands
    actually if you were out past the dome when you called me....

THEY WERNT. you were 400- 600 foot above town nearly..

meet on face book here

We saw nothing at, in or around the dome either of em. Tracks allover, but no brown fur to be seen.

You mentioned one of the places, but Im not giving out specifics as I was asked not to....

I have also noticed in years past that they'd hunker down in an area...unfornatly they aint quite hunkered down in the area I had hoped they were lol. OH well. They did get up and move around though it seemed like they were in an extremely small area when I found them their a handful of years ago. This was my first year back to check it out in awhile.

Funny, some are seeing 20...some aint seeing a dang thing. I honestly cant remember the last MOOSE I've seen..let alone the last bull in the FMA this year.

Geeez Vince, making me wish I had a tag and a couple days off...

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    All year long.. seems like moose are being bow hunted to get them off the roads...

how come no one can find any? dang i almost ran five over again this morning... 2 cows and a bull... in one spot and two cows in another..

warmed up to 25 there in the higher spots today still only 3 above in town

so let me give a few of ya's tips...

#1 stop SNEAKING!!!!! grab the ol lady and use her for cover, make sure she has a BIG camera in her hand... the three this morning i am sure were walking down the road cause the old women was taking photos of them...

#2 stop sneaking.. they have been hunted and run around by camo clad bow hunters for the last three months... the one in my yard last night let me walk nearly to it...

3 i may have said this...stop sneaking.. walk along them.. pick at a tree dont look them in the eye.. be a person waking around.. these moose live in town.. they are used to how we behave the rest of the year.belly crawling and hands and knees... well thats what the wolf does to... sept, he don't crunch the snow like you do...

good luck rest of the season. and if i was a bow hunter i would turn on the old steece at Farmers loop and head to wards Curry's corner... just past the mini storage this morning...

i would also look there about 1/2 mile up the CHSR from the over pass if you have a cow tag at least it looked productive about 30 min ago...
    This is the absolute best advice anyone could ever give reference hunting in the FMA. I've killed a pile of moose in the FMA and I learned real quick that these moose are used to people taking pictures of them and not caring about them. When you start stalking up on them and looking out of place your chances at connecting deminish quickly.

Again...dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    This is the absolute best advice anyone could ever give reference hunting in the FMA. I've killed a pile of moose in the FMA and I learned real quick that these moose are used to people taking pictures of them and not caring about them. When you start stalking up on them and looking out of place your chances at connecting deminish quickly.

Again...dead on.

I tried to follow all this "good advice" and we still ended up empty, the moose were skittish and not in the areas referred too us. Walking up like a photographer didn't work, stocking feet didn't work, driving up getting out of the truck on the opposite side didn't work, pretty much this late in the winter it is right place right time and some luck. In the past I have had the winter registration archery hunt and have scored on three of four hunts, this year they are just acting different.

Default Less Road Kill

I drew the Creamer's Field muzzleloader tag for the second time. First was in 07 and I walked for three days and never saw one. One the last day of the hunt I rode snowmachine and got one.

This year I hunted on Monday, about 5 above. I was pulling a metal sled behind the snowmachine and never saw one. Tuesday I didn't pull the metal sled, (which rattled and made extra weird noise), and saw one about forty yards off just an hour into the hunt. By the time I took off the helmet and tried to unstrap the muzzleloader it decided it had enough of me.

A half hour later two were standing fifteen yards off the trail. I stopped and dropped the helmet into the snow, pulled the smokepole over my head for I had slung it instead of strapping it to the back of the machine. The cow was standing facing me directly. I wanted a broadside shot but didn't think she would stay still if I waited for her to turn. I pulled the Winchester Apex loaded with two 50 grain pellets of Triple Seven and a 338 grain PowerBelt bullet up and took aim at her brisket. Kaboom! There was no tracking in the snow to be done, she dropped right where she stood.

Success due to moose feeling no threat from snowmachines. It is a common occurence that they get used to and almost curious of.

A young soldier who was archery hunting offered me a hand and between the two of us we had the job done in four hours. He scored a quarter of meat from a man grateful for the immense amount of help he so willingly put forth. A true measure of our volunteer military today!

This is one less moose that has the potential to be killed by a vehicle.

When does the bow season close up there for moose in the FMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    When does the bow season close up there for moose in the FMA?
    It closed on Friday.