Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Dog

Default Bear Dog

does anyone know where i can get some information on training dogs to hunt bears. Are tehre any classes out there to teach you how to train them. any help would be appreciated thank you

Do you already have a dog? If not there is a breed called Karelian Bear Dog. They are used to hunt bear and moose in Finland and Russia. There is quite a bit of info on the web. Don't know if ther is any info on actual training to hunt bear but it's a good place to start. LOL

bboy, I heard there was a korilian breeder/trainer on the kenai. Not sure where.

http://www.alaskakareliankennels.com/

I talked to her last year about getting one. They are pretty high maintenance. She also really sceens potencial buyers. But if your into it I think it would be a kick. I work up north or I would have gotten more serious.

bboy,

Are you looking to catch bear or scare bear? I believe that Karelians are primarily used to scare bear, not catch them. Are you willing to treat your dogs as livestock or pets? I say dogs because down here in NM it takes more than a couple to catch and keep a black bear, so I would imagine that grizzles would be a totaly different game. Everytime you turn your dogs loose they very well could end up dead, pretty traumatic for a pet. I'm not trying to come across negative but there are reasons why folks in the lower 48 don't have packs of Karelians. Hounds and curs are more suitable. Send me A private message or e-mail (wgorman@lanl.gov), I can give you a little more information or websites to check out.

I run Camus curs for lion, bobcat, and blackbear here in NM.

take care,

--Bill

WFGinNM,
    Just going by what I read. Quote:
    They must always hunt only with their master and it is best not to have more than 2 Karelians hunting together or they will either go off hunting on their own or fight. They are silent but tenacious hunters and only alert when they have gotten the prey at bay. They will keep it there by barking in a very high, fast bark and running back and forth or around the animal until the master comes and kills it. They have been known to hold an animal at bay a very long time. If a bear tries to leave the dog will bite it on the tail and aggravate it to keep it from running away.

Default Plott dogs

I know these dogs are execellnt on bears http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/PLOTT_HOUND.htm

Nibenza-
    Don't know those folks, but I have friends that got a Karelian to keep brownies outta their yard as they have young children. Their Dad takes the dog when moose hunting and has caused encounters with browns to be avoided.

I hunted next to a fellow this fall that had a Karellian with him at all times. The gent had been mauled by TWO browns about 20 years ago and is in the "Bear Tales" book.

That dog is a one-man-dog for sure! I'm sure that's a great reassurance in camp!

Kenaimike
    TWO bears, I gotta read that. That was more along the lines of why I was looking at them. I've had a close call myself. My wife and I walk alot and the extra insurance would be nice up here. The thought of him keeping a blackie at bay till I got there would be cool. I don't have a set of regs, I wonder if it addresses hunting big game with a dog?

Not doubting what these dogs can do, but if anyone has information of a single dog keeping a bear at bay I would like to hear about it. I've seen blackbear whoop some extremly gritty hounds and curs, then move about minding their own business digging stumps while the dogs keep their distance barking and following at the bears pace.

Sounds like the Karelien dogs are one owner dogs that don't seem to play well with others, sort of pitbullish. Is it legal to hunt bear in AK with dogs?

--Bill

I would check the reg's !

(goes back to lurker mode)

You can hunt with dogs up here. If you go back and look there are some other threads on this topic. Curs are what my god father uses, and they do great! you need to make sure you fallow the regs.

Default bear dogs

I am pretty sure the regs address this and say that you can have one dog on leash for bear hunting and/or trailing wounded big game.

Fish and Game issues a permit for the dog, not to run and bay, but scent hunt on leash.

J

Default dogs

I have a couple Karelian bear dogs. They can be hard to train, not because they are dumb, but because they don't need you to think for them. They can think for themselves. They can be very smart.
    As for hunting with dogs, you have to get a permit from F&G for the each unit you want to hunt in, and there are only certian areas that they can be used. The last time I had a permit, there was no limit on dogs and they did not have to be leashed while pursuing bears. When the bear was treed, the dogs had to be leashed and the bear either let go and not pursued again, or harvested. Might have changed since then though...

Post Karelians in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by WFGinNM View Post
    Not doubting what these dogs can do, but if anyone has information of a single dog keeping a bear at bay I would like to hear about it. I've seen blackbear whoop some extremly gritty hounds and curs, then move about minding their own business digging stumps while the dogs keep their distance barking and following at the bears pace.

Sounds like the Karelien dogs are one owner dogs that don't seem to play well with others, sort of pitbullish. Is it legal to hunt bear in AK with dogs?

--Bill
    Tryed to post earlier but didn't go so try it again. I have a karelian that was two last spring. I don't use him for bear but since I hunt along alot it's nice to have a spare set of eyes, nose, and ears on the watch and he is always on the watch. He can bay and tree a bear by himself and has. They are not like a hound and are bred for a different way of hunting. If a bear breaks and runs he will come back to me rather than chase and run it all day and leave you looking for dogs the rest of the day (week). I say this after bear hunting with hounds in Oregon for to many years. I also hunt rabbit, squirrel, grouse and what ever with him so we keep busy. He is also very friendly torward other dogs. I am no expert just stating what mine is like. And you can hunt blacks with dogs aroud here with the right permits.

backtracker,

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone actually used them for bear since most of what I've read folks seem to be using them for personal protection or alarm. Some of what I've read is that they have been used for huning small tree game.

I have three Camus curs that Richard McDuffie developed from his strain of Leopard curs. I plan on getting a Leopard to replace my oldest Camus, he'll be 11 this spring. he is still hunting strong but probably won't make it much longer and he will have nothing to do with being retired to a house pet.

I used to have a couple walker hounds but at the end of the day I like to go home not have to hunt dogs the rest of the week. These Curs hunt with their eyes, noses, and ears, and like to hunt for their owners instead of themselves somewhat like what a hound does.

Later,
    --Bill

Default Karelian Bear Dogs

Hello, I am a new member to this forum. I have enjoyed reading your posts. I personally can help with much information about the karelian bear dogs. I breed them, hunt with them, and track with them. We put on KBD training clinics in the summer. We have a master trainer come up from Utah, who has trained many karelians. I am not an expert, but we do use our dogs for many outdoor adventures, and have much experience with them. If your interested, I can clarify on some of the myths that have been posted in this forum, (only on the ones that I am personally experienced in.) Susan

Susan, Please return any information on training clinics if they are still given. I look forward to hearing from you even since this post is years old... and now 2011. Thank you, C.

Quote Originally Posted by aktomboy View Post
    You can hunt with dogs up here. If you go back and look there are some other threads on this topic. Curs are what my god father uses, and they do great! you need to make sure you fallow the regs.
    Hunted Curs for hogs in GA. Love the breeds for baying. How do they handle the winter up here with the short hair?

My grandpa had a few Karelians, but I think his old Norwegian Elkhounds were better with the bears. They treed a lot of bears, or held them until you got there with a gun. I wasn't that impressed with the Karelian. I think people see the bear dog in the name and automatically assume they are the best. If they were called the Norwegian Bear dogs, they would be more popular. I have a cattle dog and he is pretty good with the bears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast