Thread: Denali Highway

Default Denali Highway

Just returned from spending the weekend at Alpine Creek Lodge (denalihunter's place) at MP68

The road is still driveable, however there is enough snow on the shoulders to keep a sled running cool. It's pretty thin for the first two miles after the parking lot but the snow gets better as you continue eastward. Not really riding snow but if you wanted to hunt bunnies close to the road or run the established trails you don't have to worry about overheating or smoking a hyfax.

As far as critters...I saw 3 big wolves near the 12 mile turnout Saturday eve and was surprised to see them so close to Cantwell. I also saw a big lynx between Seattle Creek and Brushkana, Caribou east of Brushkana and again near Susitna Lodge. I cut a lot of bunny, fox and lynx tracks east of the bridge.

BTW the Big Su at the bridge is frozen up nicely as far as you can see in both directions and if you drive it be aware that there's some overflow on the road about halfway up the hill east of where the road runs along the Nenana River (about MP 116.5)

Erik
    Thanks for the report! I don't think people see all that adventure and hunting is that close to South central Ak. Leave Anchorage at 4:00 am and be there with machines unloaded at sun up. With coffee at Glennallen or Cantwell.

Default Shaddy

I drove up last Friday leaving the valley at 4am, Hot paxton at daylight and drove the hwy west.. Stopped at mslaren lodge and ate a burger, then continued on.. Shot some ptarmigan, seen thousands of caribou, a half dozen moose and a couple fox.. I managed to call 2 fox in and got 1.. Didnt see any wolves until Sat mid day as I headed south on the parks.. Maybe 20 miles south of Cantwell 1 crossed the road.. But was posted native land.. So I let it walk.. Snow storm blew in Friday night and woke up to 6 inches or so fresh snow.. I would say that day was the last day the entire road would be driveable with a truck

I would say that day was the last day the entire road would be driveable with a truck
    Nope Drove out to Alpine Lodge at about the 1/2 way point today. Very easy drive, but remember there's no help out there if you do something stupid. Watch out between Mp 122 and Mp 123 (about 11 miles east of Cantwell)..there are three or four springs spilling across the road. I nearly went airborne when I hit one of them in the flat light.

I saw lots of caribou, but no furry canine creatures (other than Jeff King and his pack of dogs towing his Toyota truck). Stopped and talked to a trapper and he hasn't seen a wolf or wolf track all season. Says the aerial wolf control in 13 is doing it's job.

Anyone know the story on this Christmas tree? I laughed pretty good when I came across it in the middle of nowhere.

Claude's brother Craig treated me to a cup of coffee at Alpine Lodge. It's still a work in progress, but definately a good place to head to if you are looking for snowmachine adventure..once they get snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We went in the Paxon way on Sat. We saw tons of caribou, a few moose and a fox. My goal was to get my 11 year old daughter her first caribou. We got on one herd 4 times and she could never find a bull in her scope. Finally, on the 4th time, I had to put one on the ground. She had a great time and we'll go out again next week and try again to get her one. We did see some wolf track as well. I spend quite a bit of time down there and haven't seen too many wolf tracks. Road was still pretty good to travel on, I was even pulling a trailer and didn't have any problems. We got the caribou at Tangle Lakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I saw over 50 right around mile 100. Another bunch of 20 at about mile 70..of course, that's more towards the Cantwell side.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem