Thread: Problem with New Posts function

Cool Outdoors Singles & Adulterers

After reading the hilarious "Online Dating" thread, it's obvious some need an area to post their wants and needs for "Outdoors Singles & Adulterers"!

On a more serious note, the search routine for "New Posts" isn't functioning correctly. Seems as if the algorithm is not digging down through the stacks of all daily posts and is limiting it's searchable records to only a few in each category/sub-category. Is their a limiting function (or hardware) to the working space allocated within which the daily records are collated then searched for chronology? Or, are they searched in-place and indexed, collated, then returned to the output web pages? Or, is there a different type of routine being employed? How do the daily records or new input stacks and queues allocate space for the incoming records, how do they sort and how do they flag the dates? There are other possibilities and questions, but these are a start. David probably knows where to look already.

Arrow More detail?

Quote Originally Posted by codeofthewest View Post
    The search routine for "New Posts" isn't functioning correctly. Seems as if the algorithm is not digging down through the stacks of all daily posts and is limiting it's searchable records to only a few in each category/sub-category. Is their a limiting function (or hardware) to the working space allocated within which the daily records are collated then searched for chronology? Or, are they searched in-place and indexed, collated, then returned to the output web pages? Or, is there a different type of routine being employed? How do the daily records or new input stacks and queues allocate space for the incoming records, how do they sort and how do they flag the dates? There are other possibilities and questions, but these are a start. David probably knows where to look already.
    This is a new issue for us. I do not know how the posts are selected for "new posts." I had assumed that information about my most recent views was stored on a cookie, and any posts higher than the stored number are "new."

A look through the documentation and a cursory look through the support forums does turn this one up as a hot topic.

Do I assume correctly you have cookies enabled?

David

Default Posts

I seem to not be getting post notices today. Is there something bigger happening with the forum?
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default cookies on

David,

Cookies are on.

Symptoms: click on "New Posts" control button on the controls' bar below the tree and welcome bar and the return will be a partial list of the actual new posts. This can be confirmed by going to the actual categories and looking at the entirety of posts and finding some to many that never showed up in the list/web page generated by the function(s) called by the "New Posts" ctrl button's executable.

Also, sometimes when going to the actual posted threads, the newest posts won't show up until an F5 is envoked.

Another interesting phenomena: when in an encrypted CGI web interface that's tunnelled through an encrypted SSL stream inside an SSH tunnel, the following 9 control buttons are present in the aforementioned control bar

=>User CP FAQ Members List Calendar Search New Posts
    =>Mark Forums Read Open Buddy List Log Out

but, when using only the SSH tunnel, the following 6 control buttons are present

=>Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search

Is the 9 ctrls set an admin set and the 6 ctrls set the user set? Have seen this sort of problem before as the CGI-SSL-SSH security streams-tunnel strips out or negates identifying or tracking code, destroys web bugs, malware, spyware, etc, as well as other apps that can act in similar processes and procedures, and most software is not coded to handle it.

(If you want to take this off-board, the only IM I use is Hush's secure, encrypted proprietary software, so we can either continue via email or stay here).

[NOTE TO ALL OF YOU OTHER OUTDOORS ENTHUSIASTS: this thread was an offshoot of a post to the thread regarding "New Categories...". That's why it starts out with the reference to the "Online Dating" thread. If you haven't read that one, search for it as it's one of the all-time best!]

Lightbulb Some clues maybe

Sometimes I think I know something about how these things work, but then other times, someone comes along that knows a LOT more than me. That would be you, I think. <grin> I understood most, but not all, of that.

This software seems to use some kind of a caching solution. I have not tried to understand it: the thing works. I mention this because this may be part of the issue you opened with.

Here is perhaps another clue. We have the forums set on option three.

Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Other than this, I don't have a good answer for the issue you have raised.

David

Default last new thread read, then marks all as read

David,

"Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read."

This isn't working right either.(*_*) The flags aren't consistent. One time it will correctly mark those read threads after reading all new posts in all categories, then, upon F5 refresh (which doesn't always work and sometimes returns nothing found) will show the same threads as unread even though there have been no new postings. Strange. It also seems odd that one has to read the last new thread to generate the automatic marking of the forums' posts as read. It would be more efficient and accurate if each thread was flagged as read, when read, not as a batch job with all threads inclusive to flag those read only when all had been read (there are some categories and sub-categories I don't read unless it is to test this software, so that means when it is working 100%, it never marks those I do read). This sounds like some of the early windoze db's from the 80's, which caused untold havoc because the constraints were not set up logically or were not customizable to be made so. Because of this, most heavy db usage places I worked for or did work for switched to in-house custom SQL or other dbs that could be configured in-house by their people or locals.

Is it possible for a non-admin like me to look at the source code and read the users' group forums? I'm definitely not a black hat hacker or cracker, but used to do white hat work to test security and software-apps viability. Can't guarantee anything, but it's free. We'd have to go to encrypted emails, but I'll show you how to set up for that, if you don't already know. But, as I've only read 2 others noting this problem, may not be worth it.

BTW, I use SUSE 10.1 Linux on an AMD64 939 w gigabit, SATA2, pci-e vid, 1GB RAM, on ADSL. This hasn't caused any i'net problems, but I have had to switch between Opera 9 to Firefox 2 to Netscape 7.x as different web sites required due to their different methods of handling html, xml, java, javascript, etc. It has allowed mega-surfing as I have over 50 tabs open in Opera and some secure email tabs open in Ffx, which is why I only make it here every day or two (or three if the long range hunting or AR boards are fired up). You should also know that I did check on the the new posts every night since my last post to this thread and it never showed up with your reply when a "New Posts" search was run. (*?*)

Ain't technology grand?

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by codeofthewest; 12-16-2006 at 09:36. Reason: clarity

Maybe technology is grand, but if so why does it make my head spin sometimes? <grin>

If you would like to check into the vbulletin user forums, there are several. vBulletin is one of the more popular forum software sets. We're running v 3.6. Here is one: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ and another: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/portal.php

This community is far more able to respond to the high level issues you have raised. And better yet, they are able to do something about it that will benefit hundreds of boards and hundreds of thousands of users...including this board and our users.

Thanks much for your interest in this!

David