Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing Underwater camara

Default Ice fishing Underwater camara

Which underwater camara is the best to use for ice fishing?

I've got a friend that manages a sporting goods store and he said he won't sell me an underwater camera. He said they're constantly coming back broken. Well, I bought one anyway because I find there's a lot of entertainment watching the underwater environment.
    I bought an entry level Marcum (which became Aqua View) and I'm on my third monitor in just one year. Believe me, it was not because of abuse it was the cheap componets that are used. If I have any advice it might be that you try a higher end Aqua View and you cross your fingers every time you turn it on.

I have a very nice aqua view. It was like 400 dollars and I have had it for years. 3 Years now and have had no problem with it. I love watching it jigging for burbot at night. Ive learned a lot with that system. I have some type of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ XL with the 100ft of cable.

Default Underwater cameras

I have the Aqua View Spool.It's a color camera with a 5" screen and 80' of cable.The cable reels up inside the case and the screen flips up on the top.
    I have had no problems with it in the 4 or so years I have owned it.
    For ice fishing you NEED to get the tripod they sell for them so that you can position them easily. Otherwise you will be fighting it all the time trying to aim the camera.
    Before I would fork out the cash I would first invest in a VEXILAR Flasher.
    Way more versatile easier to use and definetly puts more fish on the ice.
    You could talk me into leaving my camera at home But not my Vexilar.
    In fact since I bought the flasher I seldom use the camera much anymore.
    If you do buy one make sure you can hook it up to an alternate power source,
    The battery that came with mine only lasts 1-1 1/2 hours. I use a cigarette lighter adapter to hook up to my boost box( vehicle jump start portable power source). Also you want one that will allow you to hook it up to a recording device so you can have evidence of the big one that got away.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have the low level marcum and had to have the monitor replaced (under warranty by the new company) and it's pretty great.

But it doesn't seem to work well once the sun starts going down - going to experiment with some underwater lights this year and see if it helps.

the kids really enjoy it

i got the cheap aqua view ...works great,

battery lasts longer than my kids do on the ice....when I got it the battery was no good as the retailer stored it outside and the battery froze....so I went and purchased a new one from Batteries Plus, easily use it all day in a heated shack..

and like KasilofC mentioned, get the tripod, even though they are cheap I still tried to avoid buying one.....one afternoon of fighting the cam, I dropped the $10 and now it's easy as pie..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default cameras

One of the things I have learned to do with all the stuff I get, is to be smarter than the manufacturer, if I can , and think past the planned obsolesance engeenered in manufacturing. I've worked on boats 18 years professionally as a mechanic. any thing electrical and water are destined to be incompatable. think of the pressures of a diver under water, the deeper he goes the higher the pressure his regulator must compensate to allow him to recieve air, the deeper you go the pressures are expotential.
    Lowering a camera deep into the water is enduring the same pressures. Wire connection and seals all are subject to all the conditions being put to it including the cold . that seal around the wire is very cold in frigid water and does not flex as it would in ideal conditions. Like a little insurance , I would coat any potential areas i might suspect with silicone glue or liquid tape ,before I even got it wet the first time .
    I am a cheap skate , I only like to buy the product once.

I'll first say that underwater cameras got me back into ice fishing. It was getting kinda old untill they came around and completely got me excited again.
    I started out with a quad view which flooded the third trip so I decided to buy the most expensive one I could find at the time a marcum for around 600 bucks. That one quit after 4 trips.
    I don't know who builds something bullet proof out there, or if my luck is just that bad but next one I buy (yes....you heard right, I'll buy another one...) will be cheap!
    That said, I will go with a flasher unit in the mean time. But its just so much fun learning how fish react to your bait w/underwater cameras that I can't see being without them anymore.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Haven't invested in a camera yet. Likely will to entertain the kids.... Also how well does the infrared lighting work at night if anyone has the experience? Scare fish? How far can you see?

We do it the poor man's way. Use a ten inch auger (powered of course) , take a piece of carpet out and an old sleeping bag or dark blanket. When the ice is less than a foot or so, its amazing how much more you can see than while in a shelter or with a camera when you are lying down.

Pros: its cheap, it keeps you out of the cold, its really portable. The fish behavior will AMAZE you if you haven't done it before. Nothing gets the heart going faster than playing with a bunch of small fish, having them simply scatter knowing that a BIG one is close by. It's the world's best "video game"

Cons: Only works in clear water to depths you can see. And because you are under a blanket or covered up, I typically jig with the line in my fingers. I lose a few fish when I set the hook by hand and then try to get the rod loaded up onto the fish while uncovering yourself.

One final Con...if you do this, make sure that you don't get run over by a snowmachine or truck...seriously! Look around and assess where you are at .

Default hmmm

What do you guy think of the MarCum VS 380 Underwater camara. It on sale at cablea's for 299.00 down from 419.00

Go with aqua view. Ive heard of a few bad reviews on marcums and not nearly as many from the aqua views.

Aquaview owns Marcum now. For whatever thats worth.

Explain to me what a vexilar flasher is. Never heard of one before.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have the Aqua View Spool.It's a color camera with a 5" screen and 80' of cable.The cable reels up inside the case and the screen flips up on the top.
    I have had no problems with it in the 4 or so years I have owned it.
    For ice fishing you NEED to get the tripod they sell for them so that you can position them easily. Otherwise you will be fighting it all the time trying to aim the camera.
    If you do buy one make sure you can hook it up to an alternate power source,
    The battery that came with mine only lasts 1-1 1/2 hours. I use a cigarette lighter adapter to hook up to my boost box( vehicle jump start portable power source). Also you want one that will allow you to hook it up to a recording device so you can have evidence of the big one that got away.

Flashers just show "real time" between your lure and a fish by showing the the bottom as a base and showing the others as electronic lines. When you move your lure you can see it with no delays go up and down as well as seeing fish moving off the bottom towards your lure. The key with flashers as opposed to regular fish finders is their real time speed.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Explain to me what a vexilar flasher is. Never heard of one before.
    Check em out here. The video should answer all of your questions
    http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_videos.html

Default Ah cameras

ALthought it seems they would the end of all fish populations, I agree that a flasher is much more effective for the actual catching part.

That said, they are very fun, kids love em.

I have an Aquaview DVR model so you can store footage on a removable card. Definitely get the tripod....control with just the cord in hand is a pain.

A great tip for getting better footage is to drill lots of extra holes around the one you are fishing (if safe of course), the ambient below snow covered and thick ice is very poor so this helps a lot, otherwise the fish doesn't get recorded until it's nearly in the face of the camera....infra red or not.

I've set mine up on a tip up to watch pike strikes....you wouldn't believe how many come up and just sniff it or stare at it before striking, even though it's a dead smelt...the number of misses is comical, makes you think they are trying to scare it to death.

Bottom line, if you want it to up your catch....get a flasher, if you want it to up your understanding of fish strikes and learn more about the bottom, what your lure looks like etc. Then they are great.

I would also suggest a vexilar they are sturdy, versatile and they work.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post

+1 or even +2

I catch 4 times as many fish with a flasher.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

holly cow that flasher is expensive have to think about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    holly cow that flasher is expensive have to think about that one.
    I've heard the same advice concerning flashers and when I priced them out I had the same reaction as you did...

I'd love to see one in action though, and have someone show me how to use it...for now I'll have to stick to my Aquaview...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast