Thread: Revolver Question...

Question Revolver Question...

Hey guys, kinda long but bear with me...

Here's the deal...took a lady friend of mine shooting about a month ago for the first time- she's generally a pretty big sissy/city girl when it comes to big loud stuff, but she really enjoyed it and wants to look at getting her own pistol.

Birthday for her is in a couple months and I'd like to look at getting her a gun. She shot a Lady Smith in .32 H&R and really liked it, as well as a G19. I'd like to look at getting her something along the lines of the Lady Smith, as she loved the size and feel of it..but maybe in a .38, or something similar that's easy recoiling and relatively easy to find ammunition wise. However....being almost broke and in school my budget will be considerably smaller then when i was building my own collection. (oh for the days of high school! )

Are there any good, dependable, relatively inexpensive revolvers out there for around $300? Even the used Ruger GP/SP 101's are almost $100 more then I'd like to spend. Does Taurus make a decent revolver? Being a girl she's more concerned about the "pretty factor" (she liked stainless/wood or pink) then she is the ability to take high power loads/concealability/etc.

Thanks guys for any help you can provide,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

You win some and lose some with Taurus.I have gotten some very good guns from them but have seen and worked on others that were very poor. I believe they do Ok on their warranty with those I've delt with

J&G sales had some police trade in K frame S&W 38s a while back. I think they were 189$ and with a little work on your part they could be cleaned up to look pretty nice relatively easily. If shiney isn't a real factor we could bead blast it at the shop for a reasonable price and you would still be in your budget and she would have a nice Smith and Wesson instead of a crap shoot Tauras.

Default gun

I had a similiar situation . A city lady friend wanted to be trained to handle a gun and so we tried a few of mine and thought it over a while .
    What seemed to make the most sense to her, Is the 38 special. She had the money and could well afoard it, so she got the s&w 4" I think . reason = lesser grade rounds are cheaper to practice with ,and the specials go in otherwise . You can even sit with a lee loader and repack rounds and not have to put out to much money. Or you go the better step and get a 357 mag and have even more range of loading and a much more effective defencive weapon in a real emergency.
    remember simple is always best ruger makes a good dependable tool good for a life time. If she's going to be with you on a hunt , her confidence with a weapon she is comfortable with can make a big differnce. The other thing you might invest in first for her is a good gun safety course.

Default taurus 85 stainless

My wife uses this little piece with a shoulder holster.(she does not carry a purse) My father in law has a rossi that looks very similar.
    No comparing the two, the taurus has a way nicer action, feel, and function.
    .38 special is a fine round in my estimation. The little 85 is very similar to the ladysmith and has to cost much less.
    Two years ago I put a little lazer grip on it for her, I like the feel of the wood grip much better, but its not my gun....

If she likes semi auto pistols and wants something compact to carry, you might consider either the Ruger LCP 380 or the Kel Tec PF9 - both have got excellent reviews and both are well within your price range.

A quick search on Gunsamerica shows the Ruger LCP as low as $269 new, and the Kel Tec PF9 on gunbroker for $270 new.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

For pure shooting fun and easy on the ammunition, a smallish semi-auto 22 comes to mind just to get her into the fun with a low cost gun and low cost ammo. The little S&W/Walther P22 with a 4" barrel comes to mind. Really easy for a smaller person to handle. Might be slightly over you budget, but you'll make it back fast in ammo savings compared to any other model and caliber mentioned. Yeah, there are "better" 22 semi's out there, but it's hard to beat that little thing for features, reliability, price and pure fun. I can't pull mine out of the holster without putting 200-300 rounds through it.

I'd really like to stick to a revolver, less moving parts and all that. This will be mainly a range gun so I'm not overly worried about her being able to use it on a hunt. (Getting her to go on a hunt would be another deal in and of itself)
    I started her out on a .22 just like everyone else I teach, and she didn't seem interested. Something about it feeling like a toy? I also roll my own cartridges so I'm not overly concerned with ammunition price, though it would be nice to get her something easily found in the store.

canyoncastle; have you had any issues with the Taurus?

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default nothing but "bang"

No sir, no trouble with the 85.
    I should also add that we both have a set of kel-tec .32's.
    She does not always carry the taurus unless clothing permits. The .32 fits in her jean pocket and works great also.
    I bought the gun used from a german client of mine who sold his home and could not bring it back to europe.
    I believe the thing saw less than a box of activity until it got into our hands.
    We shoot at a little private range with some freinds and she loves to bring the thing and show off that dang lazer.
    As you can imagine everbody has to have there hand at it and it will swallow a box or more of wad cutters 5 shots at a time.
    This holiday will be no exeption, we are camping at the range for the holiday and will bust clays and send lead down range to prepare for the revolution.
    On a side note, back in about 86 or 87 when I did'nt have much cash on hand and a girlfriend going to college and night courses I bought a 4" stainless, I think it was a model 66 in .357. What a sweet pistol, don't miss the girlfreind but that taurus had my heart when we parted ways.
    I just felt like she needed some protection and let her keep it.
    They shoot better than I am capable and always go bang. No wear to be seen, should be able to pass it along to my son when I assume the temperature of the earth.
    My buddy bought his first little revolver the other day and landed a charter ultra light something or another. poor action, too light, and too much money.....maybe he did'nt shop around but I think he paid about 350 or more, did'nt look like it was worth that to me....
    I think taurus sells that thing in pink, but stainless is the way to go, then you can "borrow it" for your CW.

You might consider single-action revolvers, if all she wants it for is range use. My wife is going through the same situation - interested in a first gun, not impressed with .22's, doesn't want something very expensive. She's looking at Rugers, but I think her price range is somewhat higher.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

IME, a revolver for a Lady, should have at least a 3 inch barrel, and longer is better.

In other words, don't get her a "Pain in the Hand" gun.

38 Spec.?? or 357, and shoot 38s??, should work OK.

It's a proven cartridge, isnt it? And, there's a variety of ammo available.

JMO
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Next gun show

Check out the Wasilia gun show next month - your should be able to pick up a good used revolver for less that $300. I got a top of the line S&W Mdl 27-2 .357 magnum at the last gun show for only $325.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Smile S&W...

Look around for a used 3" or 4" K Frame S&W revolver in .38/.357 caliber. You can find .38 Special ammo almost all the time. I have a 3" K Frame that is about the only hand gun my wife liked to shoot, other then a .22.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Look around for a used 3" or 4" K Frame S&W revolver in .38/.357 caliber. You can find .38 Special ammo almost all the time. I have a 3" K Frame that is about the only hand gun my wife liked to shoot, other then a .22.
    Yup, That's Good Advice, from my perspective.

It's settled then.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.