Thread: Sumo Jigs

Question Sumo Jigs

Any one ever use Sumo Jigs for bottom fish, halibut? My neighbor who doesn't fish gave me several he got in a auction deal where you bid on a sealed box. If you win you get to open it and see what you bought. At any rate they are 4 and 6 inches long with a chrome finish on 3 sides and a glow in the dark panel on the remaining side. I've seen them in stores but have never heard first hand how they work.

they work like most other jigs do for halibut and lings.... great

Juneau, Alaska

Default I've Used Them

First thing - take the treble hooks off. If you get into an area with small fish you will have a heck of a time releasing them if you get two points into their mouths. I don't have mine handy but I think mine are either 16 or 20 ounces. I put a j-hook on with a white glow skirt wired on above the eye the split ring is attached to. The skirt gives it just a tad more action. I like to use them when I am drift-prospecting across a new area. Good luck!

Thanks a lot, JKD. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I've only used jigs a couple times with poor results. Of all the things a person could know about jigging...I don't know almost all of them. Being an eternal optimist, I guess this means there's plenty to look forward to.

For sure use a single hook. I had some jigs that worked great last year but the treble hooks sucked. It forever to get a fish off.