Thread: Smoking salmon - which salt

Default Smoking salmon - which salt

I am getting ready to try smoking some sockeye salmon for the first time. I saw this recipe in the smoking fish sticky that I would like to try:

Quote Originally Posted by C Wehr View Post
    One of our favorites is:

3 cans pineapple juice
    4 pounds brown sugar
    2 cups kosher salt

This makes enough for about 4 gallons of fillets. We cut'em up into smaller pieces and then after about 12 hours lay them out until they glaze over (with a fan blowing on the pieces) before smoking- even the kids fight for the fish!
    I don't know if the original poster is even around anymore, so figured I'd ask the general forum here.

Some of the recipes in the smoking thread call for pickling salt, while some just say salt. My question is this - when discussing using salt for smoking, do people generally mean pickling salt, and it is just assumed without having to say it? Or do some people just use regular table salt (iodized or noniodized)? Going to try it for the first time and would rather not screw it up too bad by using the wrong salt without knowing.

Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Noniodized

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think keeping it in the papers will be the hardest part...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I am getting ready to try smoking some sockeye salmon for the first time. I saw this recipe in the smoking fish sticky that I would like to try
    (3 cans pineapple juice
    4 pounds brown sugar
    2 cups kosher salt )

This makes enough for about 4 gallons of fillets. We cut'em up into smaller pieces and then after about 12 hours lay them out until they glaze over (with a fan blowing on the pieces) before smoking- even the kids fight for the fish!

I don't know if the original poster is even around anymore, so figured I'd ask the general forum here.

Some of the recipes in the smoking thread call for pickling salt, while some just say salt. My question is this - when discussing using salt for smoking, do people generally mean pickling salt, and it is just assumed without having to say it? Or do some people just use regular table salt (iodized or noniodized)? Going to try it for the first time and would rather not screw it up too bad by using the wrong salt without knowing.

Thanks in advance.

-this is basically what we use as a brine....add some soy sauce, as well-

-alaskamokaiman is right, non-iodized salt-

Lightbulb kosher

big blue box...3$ or so..........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

RMK

Talking easy way of smoking reds

So many people try to over complicate the process. I finally settled on the simplest of methods, and it produces really great fish.

I cut the salmon fillets in to three or four pieces so they are about 4 or 5 inches across. This is a nice handy size for packaging and freezing.

I mix equal parts of regular salt, brown sugar and honey. I just dump some of each on a layer of fish sort of mixing it up and coating the fish. I then add another layer of fish and repeat the process until my plastic tub is full.

I found that a kitty litter box works great. Of course I bought a new one, and I don't even own a cat. It hold a lot of fish and fits in my refrigerator.

After I have my layers of fish coated with the salt, brown, sugar and honey, I put it in the refrigerator for about 8 hours. The mixture will draw moisture out of the fish, and create it's own brine.

After about 8 hours in the fridge, I take it out and rinse the fish. The pieces will now feel firmer since a lot of the moisture will have been drawn out. I lay it out on the counter, and allow it to air dry. If it's too warm in your place, you may want to do this step in the refrigerator, but put down something on the shelf to avoid a mess. Wax paper or newspaper can help here.

After a few hours, the fish will "glaze over" and have sort of a shiny look to it. I then put it in the little chief smoker with Alder chips. Smoking time will vary greatly depending on the thickness of the fish, and the outside air temp at the time. You will probably go through a couple trays of wood chips, and then just check it now and then. It can be from 2 to 5 hours depending on the size of the fillets.

I like mine slightly moist. A lot of people really over smoke their fish and wind up with a dried out piece of jerky. If you're trying to make the squaw candy style, then maybe so, but it's not for me.

This method only takes three ingredients (table salt, honey, and brown sugar) and is easy to do. I end up using about a plastic bear container of honey, a small bag of brown sugar, and a couple of cups of salt. I never get too concerned with measurements. Just use enough to coat the fish. You're going to rinse it off at the end anyway.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Kosher salt, or Sea salt... same thing.

Default blessed?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Kosher salt, or Sea salt... same thing.
    Hey wait, I thought the latter is based on it origin, and the former on whether its been blessed?

Oops, wrong forum.

Default Super Easy and Great

1 part Kosher salt
    4 parts brown sugar
    and smoke with Cotton wood from beach
    or use alder in bag from the store
    Rub your fillets down let sit at lease 4 hours and smoke and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Hey wait, I thought the latter is based on it origin, and the former on whether its been blessed?

Oops, wrong forum.
    Ok, you got me... sea salt is unholy! LOL!!