Thread: Dec 1st RC879

Default Dec 1st RC879

I was deployed to Afghanistan and missed all the big game early seasons. I'm considering making the drive from Anchorage, but I have never done this hunt...Where can one expect to find the caribou this time of year? Do they happen to be along the Steese? I have a snow machine so I do not need to stay on the road system.

Any information would be appreciated.

Default RC 867 Cancelled

Please see the following link to the ADFG website:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...9/03-06-09.pdf

The harvest in the Fall was too large to allow a winter caribou hunt, and it has been cancelled.

CubeCove

Default Thank you, but

I'm looking at RC879...I just downloaded a permit for it last week, it's the White Mountain herd that includes units 20B and 20F north and west of the Steese and north and east of the Elliot and Dalton highways south of the Yukon and 25C west of Preacher creek and American creek.

BBD54CAL

BBD,
    You are correct that is a different hunt and while I'm aware of it I don't have any info but I will ask around tomorrow. You might consider calling Fairbanks F&G they might have some info for you. If I find out anything I'll revisit or shoot you an im. If I recall correctly most people access that area by snowmachine off the haul road? I believe there are some state cabins available on that side, might be worth looking in to as well. RC870 I believe is the numbers for the hunt that closed, 40 mile, and cube is right in that regards. Good luck, and if you get er done let us know.

Success rate on the White Mt herd has historically been extremely low (per F&G data). I've seen them within 15 mi of the highway in the summer, but never the winter yet. Caribou are hard to predict, but getting one in the winter would probably involve a multi-day hunt in some very rugged terrain far off the highway. You would need plenty of snow and decent weather to pull it off.

Yk

I have done a little looking into on this hunt as it sounded entertaining. From what I can find out the success rate is very very low. The caribou are in the middle of the area and in the spruce trees during the winter with them occasionaly getting out in the open depending on snow conditions. There are some public use cabins in there and a trail system but teh caribou are not close to it. You could use them to base out of but would need to cover some miles every day. Expect COLD temps and no other hunters.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BBD54CAL View Post
    I'm looking at RC879...I just downloaded a permit for it last week, it's the White Mountain herd that includes units 20B and 20F north and west of the Steece and north and east of the Elliot and Dalton highways south of the Yukon and 25C west of Preacher creek and American creek.

BBD54CAL
    well this time of year you will have a nice trip. bring a camera for the scenery will be good...plan on several days of outing

those bou left with the 40 mile bou few weeks ago and that herd has been on decline for some time as the cows wander off with the 40 mile heard while they are on the steece.

though you may get lucky at finding a bou with in the hunt zone .. your chances in my opinion are slim to ziltch...and worse.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Well

Have some buddies that want to do this... They asked me at 1st I was up for it until I heard thier plan... I talked to Broncoformudv about this (Rob) and he just shook his head... That was enough for me to tell them I would pass. They keep asking me and say they are going to put in for the registration hunt and when they get back take off up thier in February and try to hunt it and sleep in their truck... That's if the hunt is still going on... Thier intial plan was to hunt out of Fairbanks ie get a room on Ft Wainwright and drive, but broncoformudv told me they were crazy they would drive up thier in time to turn around and drive back to Wainwright. So I told them this and they changed thier plans, to now sleeping in thier truck... I will still pass on this opportunity to be cold and miserable... They are under impression they can hunt off the Dalton highway see them and hump it in with thier bow or just see them and shoot them with thier bows off the side of the road...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Have some buddies that want to do this... They asked me at 1st I was up for it until I heard thier plan... I talked to Broncoformudv about this (Rob) and he just shook his head... That was enough for me to tell them I would pass. They keep asking me and say they are going to put in for the registration hunt and when they get back take off up thier in February and try to hunt it and sleep in their truck... That's if the hunt is still going on... Thier intial plan was to hunt out of Fairbanks ie get a room on Ft Wainwright and drive, but broncoformudv told me they were crazy they would drive up thier in time to turn around and drive back to Wainwright. So I told them this and they changed thier plans, to now sleeping in thier truck... I will still pass on this opportunity to be cold and miserable... They are under impression they can hunt off the Dalton highway see them and hump it in with thier bow or just see them and shoot them with thier bows off the side of the road...

ANY caribou they see from the Steece road will NOT be part of this tag...hope they know the area... extreamly well... or they won't have a truck. the white mtn herd don't get any where near the dalton... the trail access is on the elliott still
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I guess

Will have to let them know to do thier homework neither one of them has been that far up hunting heck one has never hunted in Alaska well bird hunting... I was looking at the map and if I'm looking at the map right as long as you hunt on the west side of the steese express highway you will be good same goes for the Dalton highway hunt on east side of the road, as you stated kind of pointless hunting on the Dalton highway side I guess. All I know I have better things to do than freeze my rear end off LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Will have to let them know to do thier homework neither one of them has been that far up hunting heck one has never hunted in Alaska well bird hunting... I was looking at the map and if I'm looking at the map right as long as you hunt on the west side of the steese express highway you will be good same goes for the Dalton highway hunt on east side of the road...
    no..... only for a very short ride up the steece... you need a topo map and sit down and read the boundries exactly.

this is the wrong year to make a mistake up there. espessally with evey other hunt around it closed.

i will say again.. if they can see it from the road.. I am 99.99999999999999% certian it will NOT be legal... only because some times ONE dumb bou will wander 50 miles down the side of the road in the wrong direction.

they will also have to consider the last few Fed tags will be out there also. looking to fill a tag they have a different hunt zone.. and can get your boys in kimshee if they follow the wrong group.

i am not trying to diswade you or them.. just laying it out. road hunting is NOT an option for this tag...

meet on face book here

Default thanks

I will pass this onto them.. I know I don't plan on doing this hunt, I'm sure after I talk to these guys again they will probably change thier minds as well... If they do go, all one can do is hope they read the maps good...

I have seen Caribou twice in season near the highway maint areas before you begin the climb up to 12 mile summit. They were both times on the road one group one year went South (out of the boundry) and one group went North (in the boundry for the White MTNs hunt). Buddy passed on the ones that went North (I had tagged out that year on the 40 mile hunt so just along for the ride). Last year I saw tracks in the White Mountain area but did not see any Caribou. I have been told that they are very spread out, if you could fly the area first that I think would be your best way to produce any success, or perhaps talk to someone who flew the area. Last year it closed realitively quick but I think that was that some of the 40 mile herd mixed in the White MTNs area and they reached their quota, (most likely 40 mile Bou). Let us know how you and or your friends do.

i would also call and see that it is open.. double tripple check.. just cause you can print a tag does not mean it is really good....

meet on face book here

Default Rc 879

Just FYI, I spoke with Fairbanks F&G office yesterday and this hunt is open for the winter starting on 1 Dec. They said they expect a little more hunter numbers this year since the RC867 hunt has been closed.

Default Any Success

Has anyone attempted this hunt yet this year? Does anyone know what the snow conditions are like on the trails leading out from the Elliot? Me and a buddy are making the trip next week, even if we don't see any bou we would like to have enough snow to run our machines in. Any words would be appreciated.

BBD