Thread: From mirror stainless to matt?

Default From mirror stainless to matt?

Hey all again,
    I have a stainless rifle I foolishly painted with Alumahyde many moons ago and it sucked, so I took a dremel and the little wire wheel and removed it all (the only way it seemed to come off).
    It came out a mirror like finish and I want to get back to matt. Whats the best way to do this? Emery cloth? sandpaper? Bead blaster? I don't want to screw it up even more, nor do I want to break the bank.

Thanks!!

Mountaintrekker

Any of the sanding options will look like a hack-job, which leaves you with bead blasting or sand blasting. I'd recommend starting with sand and seeing if that does what you want it to do. Reserve the more expensive and more difficult to use beads as a last resort.

Bead blaster.You can buy a small blaster for doing things like spark plugs and a small package of beads from Brownells and reuse them on other guns and frosting knife blades etc.

Default Not sure of your budget

Dont know how much you want to spend but I am pretty sure that we don't charge very much to bead blast a stainless gun at the shop. Unless you have a line on one I am quite certain that our charge for a blast on a SS rifle is quite a bit less than the cost of a blasting cabinet.

I have a small blaster and media needed to do the job. I am also down in Homer.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ast78905.html

This will do the job plus any others in the future,no cabnet needed

Hey thanks folks for all the help.
    Skilak Jim, would you be up for letting me use your blaster at your place? I don't think it would take very long. Let me know if you want a few bucks for media etc. I would be most grateful to get this back to a matte silver ASAP. If you don't feel comfortable with my proposal, let me know what works for you.

Kindest Regards,

Mountaintrekker

Pm sent.
    Jim