Thread: Hodgdon 4198 for 45-70

Default Hodgdon 4198 for 45-70

I picked up 2 pounds of H4198 to try in my 45-70 Marlin XLR with Hornady 350 gr JFP bullets. The Hornady #7 manual lists max load at 45.3 gr while the Hodgdon 2007 and 2008 manual lists start load at 48.5 and max at 54 gr? I have triple checked and I am quoting data for lever action rifles for both. Any idea on why the big difference? The Hodgdon max load lists 54 gr at 39,300 CUP. Was wondering if anyone else has used this powder/bullet combo and what loads they have tried. The load I am looking to work up will be for non-dangerous lower 48 big game. I am thinking the Hornady 350 gr JFP interlock going maybe 2200fps would be deadly on anything up to moose with plenty of penetration? Anyone care to offer oppinions?

Thanks

Talking

I also use H4198 for my Marlin. I shoot the 300gr Barnes behind 58grs. Devasting. A friend just shot a 1100lb buffalo with great results, so your combo will handle anything out there if you do your part. I think liability and testing account for the differences in manuals. Keep in mind that the modern Marlin actions are relatively strong and the straight walled case doesn't give the bolt thrust that tapered cases do. Just be observant and careful. My loads show absolutely no pressure signs and shoot great. There seems to be two thoughts on the 45-70...heavy and slower and mid-heavy and faster. For the game I hunt, I personally prefer the latter...just me. Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

There can be huge differences between lots of powder. Check the lot #'s. Always. If they change from one can to the next, drop back to a starting loads and work up, just like you would with a new powder.

As for the manuals, were the cases the same? Lots of differences between brands and even between lot #'s there, too. Same for primers.

The numbers you quote don't surprise me a bit, even without a lawyer anywhere near.

Thanks for info guys. I always try to pick up 2 or more pounds of powder at a time with matching lot numbers so if I come up with a good load, I have enough to load up a small supply. As to the components of the different manual loads: Hornady=Win case, Fed 210 primer and Marlin 1895 rifle 22" barrel. Hornady=Win case, CCI 200 primer, does not state rifle, only lever action 22" barrel.

I am using Rem cases, Win Large Rifle Primers, and Marlin 1895 XLR with 24" barrel. I decided to go with the Hodgdon data and started loads at 47gr ( 1.5 gr below their start load) and increased .5 gr up to 50 gr for now. Have not shot yet, but figured it would be a good start. I think I will stay at least a gr or 2 below the max of 54. I wish I had a cronograph to check velocity as I would settle for good accuracy over extra fps. I am thinking with this combination and 24" barrel, I should be getting about all the velocity the 45 70 is capable of. I have heard that the Hornady 350 gr JFP is a fairly tough non-premium bullet that is good for everything short of large dangerous game with good shot placement. I have some Cast Perf 460 hard cast for the big mean critters.

Default How'd it go?

Please let us know how those loads worked for you!

Thanks,

salcha star road

I've noticed over the years that the manuals put out by the powder companies have hotter loads than those in the manuals put out by the bullet companies. I'd think that the powder companies would have a better handle on pressure & such........but that's just my opinion,

Two guns coming off an assembly line one after the other will probably have different max powder loads all else being the same as no two rifles are quite the same. Every loading manual says to approach max loads with caution as the max load they list may be too much for your rifle. The oppsite is also true. You may be able to go beyond a manuals max load as your rifle may be looser than theres. As always start low and work up letting your rifle tell you when it's had enough.

I shot a few test loads the other day. Start load was 47 gr and increased .5 up to 50 gr. So far, it seems my rifle likes 48 gr as this was the tightest group. Have not chronographed yet, but I am guessing the 350 gr Hornady out of a 24" barrel is plenty fast. Not sure if I will try loading over 50 up to the max of 54 gr since I am using different brass than what Hodgdon data used. Really looking for accuracy over extra fps. The 48 gr load shot 1.5" with open sights.