Thread: scales

Default scales

Anyone use either of these two scales?
    Lyman 1200DPS3
    RCBS Chargemaster 1500.
    Pros/Cons on there functions?
    Need to replace an older Dillion scale and looking at these two.

Default Chargemaster

I have a freind who has reloaded all his life (about 35 years) and he recently purchased the RCBS and really likes it. It is fast and accurate. I have been using an older PACT unit and it is OK, but will not take the really fine powders that I like to use with my Hornet. So, I am looking to upgrade also, and would like to hear from someone who has used the Lyman unit, as they are a little cheaper, but all indications are that they will do as well as the RCBS.

I use a Lyman DPS upgraded to the "3" model. I love it. The only issue I have is the push-latch that holds the little powder box in place. If you accidentally push it too hard when closing the powder drain, you have to unscrew the tube and remove it before you can reset the powder box latch. It's a minor issue, but an irritant when it happens. But the dispensing is nice. When using very large charges, you can save time by using a powder measure to get the powder in the pan quicker, and let the auto-dispense finish it off.

I bought an RCBS 1500 several months ago and so far have reloaded about 400 rounds without any big problems. I didn't get the powder dispenser as I already have an RCBS Du O Meter that works perfectly.

The only caution I have about the 1500 is, as with all the other sensitive scales, it can be effected by ANY airflow in the room including your own breathing. I reload in the garage and my technique is to double check the powder charge after every 10 rounds. A couple of days ago I was doing a double check and I saw that the charge was off by .4 grains. When I emptied the pan and looked at the indicated weight it was reading .4 instead of zero. The ceiling mounted heater was running at the moment and I could feel a slight airflow so I turned off the heater, zeroed the scale and everything was normal for the rest of the session. Now I also look at the indicated reading before dumping any charge in the pan.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

I use the DPS II upgraded to III and love it