Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perpetual Portrait Thread !

Elder Carl

Default Couple more from the Kipnuk Elder Project

Ella

Kake - my favorite. I got home that day, looked over the pictures, Saw this one and was hooked from that day on. I compare my other stuff to this shot everytime I go over photos.

Default mushu

Last one for tonight.

Default Couple more from the Kipnuk Elder Project

Here's a Kipnuk elder that I photographed about 34 years ago. The late Susie Gunlik was visiting Aniak for her aunt's 95th birthday. She had left to go home before I was finished making prints, and never saw this photograph. I stuffed it away, and it popped out of box 25 years later. I scanned it, and sent the original to family in Kipnuk.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Edna Nashookpuk - toothless smile !!

Floyd - Funny what this internet thing can connect. Your picture of Susie was the inspiration for the elder project we did two years ago. I saw that picture in several houses and always thought it was amazing. I wanted to get pictures of all the elders (60 and older). With the help of Elsie Carl we got around to everyone ended up getting 55-60 different people. A few took a little convincing and I ended up buying two grass baskets in exchange for photos, but it was worth it. Thank you for taking that picture and being an inspiration for me as a hack photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
    Here's a Kipnuk elder that I photographed about 34 years ago. The late Susie Gunlik was visiting Aniak for her aunt's 95th birthday. She had left to go home before I was finished making prints, and never saw this photograph. I stuffed it away, and it popped out of box 25 years later. I scanned it, and sent the original to family in Kipnuk.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

The Twins - Emily Lanes daughters - born together - died together.

One day in 1991 Emily and her twins and emily's younger brother Frank were going up towards Kauqtaq to hunt for fossil ivory during the late spring.

THEY WERE WARNED: DO NOT make any noise up there, the ice & snow on the mountains cliffs is / are ready to Katak (kah tuck) "fall" .

While they were searching among the rocks and such; the snow and ice did fall. Frankie was lucky and grabbed his sister emily and pulled her out when she was buried up past her waist. they frantically searched and looked for the twins. Where were they just seen at ??.. they frantically dug in all directions for a long long long sad time. Eventually they had to go back to the village for help (40 miles). Lots of people rushed to this area. and began to dig. The twins were found ... ... .. dead - holding hands.. .. .. born together, died together at such a very young age !

This was the last photo of them together in 1990 !

Quote Originally Posted by jimii3 View Post
    Floyd - Funny what this internet thing can connect. Your picture of Susie was the inspiration for the elder project we did two years ago. I saw that picture in several houses and always thought it was amazing. I wanted to get pictures of all the elders (60 and older). With the help of Elsie Carl we got around to everyone ended up getting 55-60 different people. A few took a little convincing and I ended up buying two grass baskets in exchange for photos, but it was worth it. Thank you for taking that picture and being an inspiration for me as a hack photographer.
    I didn't know any of that. What story.

There is also a personal story that goes with the photograph. It was taken when my oldest son was 9 years old. Today of course he lives in Kipnuk (his maternal grandparents are from there as is his wife). So when I found that picture in a box after moving to Barrow in the late 1990's, I had no idea who it was except for a date and a name on the back. But my daughter-in-law is a Gunlik...

It took me awhile to even remember how I had come to take the picture. Grace Bender's mother was 95 (or 96?) years old and relatives had come to celebrate her birthday with her. Grace invited me to photograph her mother and friends. It was great fun!

So I managed to whip out a lot of prints for everyone, but this one lady that I did not really know got missed because she had to leave earlier than anyone else. and that one print turned out to be the only one that I kept, and it somehow survived all those years.

When I found it I called up my daughter-in-law and asked her who it was and would she like to have the picture. Susie was her aunt, and she didn't have any good pictures of her. We were both just absolutely delighted.

I've always liked photographing old people. Now that I'm almost old myself it's still fun. I go to various events here in Barrow, where there is a tradition that all front row seating is for elders, and just walk a camera/tripod down the line in front, and shoot portrait style pictures of everyone.

Here are a couple "portraits" of a different sort. One is very traditional, the other is much more precious. This is Warren Matumeak, who is in his early 80's. You can read about him in "The Super Computer and the Whale" by Charles Wohlforth. He is the leader of an Eskimo Dance group (that performed for the Obama inaugeration), head of the Presbyterian Church choir, a former whaling captain, and was once (among several other positions with the NSB) head of the North Slope Borough Wildlife Department.

The first is a traditional portrait:

The second shows Warren in his "natural" environment:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123