Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yipee, I Won A Rifle!!! / Live Online Auctions

Default Yipee, I Won A Rifle!!! / Live Online Auctions

Yay!!! I won another live internet auction on Saturday for a Win. M54 in 22/250 W a 10x Unertl scope, suposedly in 98% condition for $750. I have probably bought 20-30 rifles and shotguns and pistols in the last 2-4 years, so i know, each individual auction company will run each auction in diferent particular ways. Basicly, its a " ya win some, ya loose some" sort of a deal. Have got some pretty good deals, and sure, i have gotten a few real loosers too. Although I wouldn't put this particular rifle in the "looser" catagory just yet, but its getting there....Here are the details of this particular "deal".
    1 Win m54 w/10x Unertl scope $750
    With a 18% buyers premium $135
    And a $5 handling fee $5
    And a Whopping shipping fee of......$195.....Yes thats right, $195 from Pa. to AK. Now I dunno about you, but the most i have EVER paid is about $60 bucks. and usualy about $35. So you can imagine how usually good natured 4951tomm's head almost exploded this morning. I know that shipping to AK. is going to be a bit more but this is outrageous!!!! When registering for the auction they usually lay out their terms, I check them, and either agree or not depending on what they are.
    1. Check the Buyers Premium!!! In my experiance they range from 10-18%
    2. Check handling fees!!! for guns in general i have seen from $5 to $45
    3. Here is the kicker for us Alaskans; Check the shipping charges if possible!!! For us Alaskans this can be difacult, so i usually just "trust them" that they will be reasonable......And usualy they are......In the past i have even called ahead to request a particular shipper, MY Choice!!! In this particular case the auction company had the UPS store pack and ship for them. Called the auction house but "my hands are tied" " Give me your number I'll see what i can doo" So will give them a call again tomorrow and see what he will doo. Called the the UPS store to see what they could doo.....They actualy dropped the price to $165......Seems they over estimated in their favor.....But still $165!!!!
    Now i did agree with their terms, so i will pay. And i will give them a chance to do the right thing. But if i have to pay $165 bucks to get a rifle shipped to Alaska from PA.....Ill plaster their company name next to the word "complaint " ALL OVER THE INTERNET!!!!!!!
    Comments?????

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I LOVE THAT TERM......

I won....

an auction.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default OK

Sounds like a nice rifle !!

But, I don't think I'ld pay any fee to bid on someones item they WANT to sell. If I go to a gun store and wanted to buy a classic or new firearm, I'm not going to pay an 18% admission fee. Their company relies on buyers to SELL their merchandise. NO BUYERS and it just sits on the shelf.

The last rifle I shipped to AK cost $54. I would indeed complain about this kind of shipping charges. See if their isn't a website with the sellers name under "auction company named--- sucks". If not start one !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Smile Going once, Going twice.......

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Sounds like a nice rifle !!

"But, I don't think I'ld pay any fee to bid on someones item they WANT to sell. If I go to a gun store and wanted to buy a classic or new firearm, I'm not going to pay an 18% admission fee. Their company relies on buyers to SELL their merchandise. NO BUYERS and it just sits on the shelf."

The last rifle I shipped to AK cost $54. I would indeed complain about this kind of shipping charges. See if their isn't a website with the sellers name under "auction company named--- sucks". If not start one !!
    These auctions arent like Gunbroker or Auctionarms, these are live, with a corny sounding auctioneer, each gun takes about 2-3 minutes to sell depending on crowd interest...the whole going-going-gone deal. Colt recently liquidated some of their collection, including serial # 00001 Colt SAA for $750,000 and other historical firearms, some with provenance, some without. Best to bid on guns from someones personal collection versus consignment auctions. Some of these auctions will go on for days, selling hundreds and hundreds of rifles in a day. Saw one auction about a year ago, they had about 300 Remington 870 wingmasters being sold one right after the other, all NIB. Don't really mind the buyers premium, I can figure that into my bid as well as handling charges. Shipping is a kind of a grey erea, can't really call ahead to get a shipping quote for a gun that you may not even win. Best to set youself a price limit for each prticular gun that interests you, and stick to it. It is sometimes dificult, to just kinda get caught up in the whole thing, a good auctioneer will make it pretty fun and exciting. Most guns i win are not the ones that i have singled out, alot of times its the random "deal i can't pass up". In fact lately i actually prefer buying online, versus trying to wrestle my way through a gun show, the gunshows are usualy so crowded it makes me feal rushed. Wouldn't be so bad if they could corral everybody into atleast going the same direction. Buying online, with good quality pictures, i can tell pretty much most of what i need to know, short of peering down the barrel and checking fit and tightness of the action. Here we get to trusting the auction house, how well they describe each individual peice. I am learning witch ones to trust through having dealt with them before, as well as other different tell tale signs. But, like i said in the previous post "Ya win some, ya loose some"

Thumbs down Buying conastoga auction co inc complaint

Have contacted Conastoga Auction Co Inc again to give them the oportunity to "MAKE IT RIGHT" they have declined, and insist that "THEIR HANDS ARE TIED" and that they will charge me $165 for the shipping of 1 rifle from PA. to ALASKA.....I suggested that they could ship USPS, they declined, I suggested they reduce the buyers premium to offset these rediculous shipping fees, they declined. I did agree to their terms, and I did pay my bill, because it is "THE HONORABLE AND HONEST" thing to do. It is a real shame that they cannot see how rediculous and dishonest this makes them seem. SO....
    DO NOT EVEN THINK OF BIDDING ON A LIVE INTERNET AUCTION THAT IS BEING RUN BY;
    CONASTOGA AUCTION CO.INC.
    768 GRAYSTONE RD.
    P.O. BOX 1
    Keywords; Ripp-offs, High shipping fees, sucks, lousy poor dishonest greedy customer service, unprofessional inconsideret, Sorry to have made this into somwhat of a rant but there is not really much more i can do....Thank you for your patience.......
    conastoga auction co. inc information
    Last edited by 4951tomm; 11-24-2009 at 14:22. Reason: Forgot a key word

Default Google Search

When I did a google search on "live auction firearms online" your posting on this thread showed up on the first page.

Perhaps you will get some attention.

It appears all the live bidding is done through the proxybid outfit. Did they have anything to do with the cost of shipping or did you dcontact them? I'm not sure exactly what role they played in the while transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by 4951tomm View Post
    Have contacted Conastoga Auction Co Inc again to give them the oportunity to "MAKE IT RIGHT" they have declined, and insist that "THEIR HANDS ARE TIED" and that they will charge me $165 for the shipping of 1 rifle from PA. to ALASKA.....I suggested that they could ship USPS, they declined, I suggested they reduce the buyers premium to offset these rediculous shipping fees, they declined. I did agree to their terms, and I did pay my bill, because it is "THE HONORABLE AND HONEST" thing to do. It is a real shame that they cannot see how rediculous and dishonest this makes them seem. SO....
    DO NOT EVEN THINK OF BIDDING ON A LIVE INTERNET AUCTION THAT IS BEING RUN BY;
    CONASTOGA AUCTION CO.INC.
    768 GRAYSTONE RD.
    P.O. BOX 1
    Keywords; Ripp-offs, High shipping fees, sucks, lousy poor dishonest greedy customer service, unprofessional inconsideret, Sorry to have made this into somwhat of a rant but there is not really much more i can do....Thank you for your patience.......
    conastoga auction co. inc information
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thumbs down Conastoga Auction Co Inc Information Schedule

Yes, It was through Proxibid, NO, IN NO WAY IS THIS PROXIBIDS FAULT. This is just one inconsiderate, unprofessional, bad apple, out of hundreds of Auction houses. Proxibid has been notified, the BBB, the FTC, and soon the Manheim Chamber of Commerce as well as other sights like complaints.com.....This is not the first time i have been gouged, but it is the first time that its happened on Proxibid....Usualy on ebay for little stuff, so i DO read the description and shipping terms carefully. But with these auction companys, me being from Alaska, i really kinda have to just make a leap of trust....and in 95% of the time I feel that i am being treated fairly and hounorably......Dont usually get this ticked off.....but these peaple are just too much..... I do now think that Proxibid should have some sort of rating system for each auction company. Perhaps if enough peaple stumble upon this sight and comment and get a dialogue going...Who knows....THNX

$195? Small change, I have two guns sitting in Germany right now waiting for my import permit, shipping is like 385...Euros

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    $195? Small change, I have two guns sitting in Germany right now waiting for my import permit, shipping is like 385...Euros
    Not quite the same...one rifle from Continental US to Alaska is not comparable to two foreign rifles, without paid import tax (presumably yet), valued and insured in excess of $10K (Blasers I guess?) crossing one ocean, clearing customs, and then getting shipped along the path of the OP's rifle. You've got two items going three times further and crossing at least one international border whereas he's shipping less than 12 lbs from PA to AK.

I just mailed two scoped/stocked Encore bbls to WI, (11lbs/insured for $2K) and it cost less than $30.

He's getting gouged.

Default Shipping fees

I imported my ZKK-602 on a Form 6 from Canada back in 1984 and I remember it required special handling because of the customs etc. The shipping and 60% customs were about equal to the price of the gun - around $300 for the gun plus another $300 for the shipping and customs. Czeck was considered a commie county hence the high tarrif. Wish I had gotten a Zeiss Jena scope with it now.

I had a Ruger No.1 with scope shipped in from PA a few months ago. The shipping was around $40 - $45 as I recall for insured express mail. $165 is a complete and total rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Not quite the same...one rifle from Continental US to Alaska is not comparable to two foreign rifles, without paid import tax (presumably yet), valued and insured in excess of $10K (Blasers I guess?) crossing one ocean, clearing customs, and then getting shipped along the path of the OP's rifle. You've got two items going three times further and crossing at least one international border whereas he's shipping less than 12 lbs from PA to AK.

I just mailed two scoped/stocked Encore bbls to WI, (11lbs/insured for $2K) and it cost less than $30.

He's getting gouged.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post

He's getting gouged.
    I know he is (irony is your friend)

Blasers I guess
    Ken buys Blasers in texas. ken gets Nagant revolvers and webleys in germany. Bass ackwards, ja?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Ken buys Blasers in texas. ken gets Nagant revolvers and webleys in germany. Bass ackwards, ja?
    Very much so...

If there was an email we might use as too ask why they're charging 4951tomm, the man, so much to ship to Alaska, I recently paid $45.00 to ship an 9.65 pound rifle from the southwest. Lets find a way to let them know we are watching this one.

Default Thank You For Your Interest

Best case scenerio would be; I get a partial refund for shipping and they provide a reasonably priced shipper for future auctions.
    Worst case scenario; They, and perhaps others, refuse to ship to Alaska in future auctions.
    So i'm not so sure overloading them with emails and phone calls would really help. On the other hand, I'm beyond really giving a @#$% about all that......So, here you go, please have at'm, if you feel so inclined.........

ca@conastogaauction.com or 1-717-898-7284 tell'm the guy from Alaska sent ya....I think they'l know who your talkin about...... THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND INTEREST

Default Funny thing is

a UPS store will not ship guns normally. It has to go through the actual UPS office in the area. I'm trying to figure out if you knew the shipping rapes, er, rates before you sent them the money. if so, knowing you were being gouged, why pay? If they told you the shipping costs and you then agreed to pay, well...
    By the way, this gun was probably rebarreled, as the model 54, if I'm not mistaken, was produced until 1936. The 22-250 was not produced in a standard production rifle until around 1963, though the original wildcat versions, like the .22 Gebby which became the .22 Varminter in the late 30s.

Default Win M 54 22/250

The Winny was described as 98% condition so am HOPING it is a factory barrel, they didn't mention a rebarrel. Although I wouldn't be surprized if it is... and thats OK there is a lot of inference and reading between the lines when reading a typical gun auction description, hell i have actually seen some labled just "FIREARM" no make, no model, nuthing....From what i have been able to dig up, this is a depression era rifle, so there were not a lot of special orders, but there were some. If it is a factory special order barrel it could perhaps be put back into the "winners" catagory. If the barrel is not worn out. I do know that i am REAL happy with my model 52 Winny in 22 LR, and this being in the same era, i was hoping for some of that quality would perhaps rubb off on the Model 54. Now, if it is a rebarrel and it being listed at 98%, I would assume that the barrel and rifling would be in 98% condition as well. But if you Do read the terms and conditions carefully at the beginning of each auction you will notice thats there is really very little if anything you could do about it......Definately "AS IS".....Basicly they could send you a peice of plumbers pipe with some wood bailing wired to it...They definately cover themselves....But there are some reputable world class auction houses represented on Proxibid that i wouldn't hesitate to bid on.......Christies, Gregg Martin, Gary Ryther, Kull, Scultz....etc

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    a UPS store will not ship guns normally. It has to go through the actual UPS office in the area.
    I hauled 26 long guns into a UPS Store in Glendale Arizona when my dad died last September, laid them on the counter and no one batted an eye that they were guns. They said they get large numbers of guns like that often since they are very close to the Sun Cities and started removing and tagging bolts as they did the paper work. Took them two hours to give me a price to pack and ship them to me in Alaska and would only ship to the address on my Alaska ID. Just a tad over $300 is all it took for 26 guns. So I think it’s more about the knowledge of the people behind the counter than it is UPS policy.

Now at the Phoenix airport when they opened my brand new double rifle case to find it jam packed with handguns I had some explainen to do! Showed the TSA gentleman Dad’s obituary in that day’s paper, he read it and he rolled up his sleeve to show me his eagle globe and anchor tat, said Semper-Fi, and sent me on my way.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Interesting

Perhaps the UPS stores vary in their rules depending on the state or ?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    So I think itís more about the knowledge of the people behind the counter than it is UPS policy.
    Here is the policy via the UPS website:

You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

This is UPS policy and of course the way each location upholds company policy is somewhat variable. Here in the bush, my only option is USPS, which means I do not ship handguns. I have sent several rifles to various gunsmiths in the L48 and in AK without incident via USPS and with insurance a normal rifle is about $40 to the L48 from NOWHERE, AK.

I just had a scoped muzzeloader shipped from florida to alaska, you cant get much further... for slow parcel post... shipping quoted at $30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast